Disappearing CD and DVD drives.

Old August 7th 03, 05:16 PM
Larc

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:12:00 +0800, Moby pondered exceedingly, then took quill
in hand and carefully composed...

| There is an update for MSI Live Update (3.51.00 dated Aug. 5). According to the
| release note, "Fixed Bug: Access Optical Storage Drive fail under WinXP." This
| will hopefully solve the problems.
|
| Larc
|
| Thanks Larc,
|
| Installed and everything works again :-)

You're very welcome! Glad things are back to normal.

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old August 8th 03, 01:48 AM
Ed_

In article , John Elsbury says...

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:16:39 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

I get the same problem when I install XP Pro when I am in Explorer the cdrw
disappears. I try to look at the driver for it in the system devices and it
reports a problem with the atapi device driver.

I have had similar problems and they turned out to be related to
uninstalling Easy-cd creator 4 and/or Nero and/or upgrading stomp CD
recording software. There is a Microsoft Knowledgebase article, I
don't have the number here but if you google for "windows xp cdrom
disappeared" you should find it. It's to do with "upperfilters" and
"lowerfilters" keys in the CDROM class registry entry in HKLM, and it
fixed my problem.

My atapi Travan tape drive disappeared as well and I suspect it is a
similar and related problem, but I haven't figured out what class
entry to experiment with yet.

**awful warning** Poking About in the Registry can seriously damage
your health

How about....Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 314060

Ed

Old August 15th 03, 04:56 AM
Bit O Data

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314060

If you have easy CD Creater software, you may want to read this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314060

Knowledge is a powerful thing!!!

The Roxio software for Easy CD has incompatability issues with Windows XP.

Other than that try checking the IDE Drive Jumpers and cables. One slave
and one master or all on cable select with a good cable.

Good Luck!

"SteveD61" wrote in message
om...
Hope someone can help me with this problem. A new install of WindowsXP Pro
on a new build computer.

Specs:
MSI K7N2G-ILSR
AMD AthlonXP 2500+
Kingston HyperX PC2700 DDR Ram 512megs
Western Digital EIDE HDD 80gigs (master on IDE0)
Ricoh DVD+R/RW (master on IDE1) and a Lite On 48x CDR/RW (slave on IDE1)
PS2 Keyboard and Mouse
All newest drivers and patches.

When I boot into Windows I can see the DVD drive in Windows Explorerand in
System Devices, everything looks ok, but I am unable to read anydisks I

put
ito the drive. When I go to a dos prompt the drive is also notfound. When

boot up with a CD or DVD in the drive I am able to read theDVD fine in
Windows Explorer and at a dos prompt until I reboot and forgetto leave a
disk in the drive. I have tried swapping the CDR/RW and DVD+R/RWdrives and
then Windows can't read the CDR/RW drive. I have also tried changing the

HDD
to IDE1 and the DVD+R/RW and CDR/RW drives to IDE0, also no good.This is
starting to drive me a little batty ifanyone can help thanksin

Old August 15th 03, 06:13 AM
Strontium

-
Bit O Data stood up at show-n-tell, in ,
and said:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314060

If you have easy CD Creater software, you may want to read this
article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314060

Knowledge is a powerful thing!!!

The Roxio software for Easy CD has incompatability issues with
Windows XP.

Yep, good `ol Roxio. They bought this product, from Adaptec, and failed to
hire any NT-savvy engineers. All they did was buy it, and repackage it. I
dumped this software, years ago. One of their representitives (a couple,
actually) participated in a cdr ng, and it was brought to their attention
that their 'repackaging' was insufficient for NT/NT5.x..... I see that they
have, since, still ignored this issue. They may be going the way of the
dinosaur...

"SteveD61" wrote in message
om...
Hope someone can help me with this problem. A new install of
WindowsXP Pro on a new build computer.

Specs:
MSI K7N2G-ILSR
AMD AthlonXP 2500+
Kingston HyperX PC2700 DDR Ram 512megs
Western Digital EIDE HDD 80gigs (master on IDE0)
Ricoh DVD+R/RW (master on IDE1) and a Lite On 48x CDR/RW (slave on
IDE1) PS2 Keyboard and Mouse
All newest drivers and patches.

When I boot into Windows I can see the DVD drive in Windows
Explorerand in System Devices, everything looks ok, but I am unable
to read anydisks I put ito the drive. When I go to a dos prompt the
drive is also notfound. When I boot up with a CD or DVD in the drive

--
Strontium

"You may be right! It's all a waste of time! I guess
that's just a chance I'm prepared to take....A danger
I'm prepared to face.....Cut to the chase." - RUSH

Old August 16th 03, 08:17 PM
JK

-
and said:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314060

If you have easy CD Creater software, you may want to read this
article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314060

Knowledge is a powerful thing!!!

The Roxio software for Easy CD has incompatability issues with
Windows XP.

Yep, good `ol Roxio. They bought this product, from Adaptec

Roxio was spun off from Adaptec.

, and failed to
hire any NT-savvy engineers. All they did was buy it, and repackage it.

Not quite.

dumped this software, years ago. One of their representitives (a couple,
actually) participated in a cdr ng, and it was brought to their attention
that their 'repackaging' was insufficient for NT/NT5.x..... I see that they
have, since, still ignored this issue. They may be going the way of the
dinosaur...

Roxio is now concentrating on music over the net. They bought Napster,
and are turning it into a pay service. I guess they haven't been doing
so well in their core business? It looks like Nero is extremely popular.