2500+ & NF7-S bios settings

Old January 27th 04, 04:37 AM
barton

Default 2500+ & NF7-S bios settings

will be installing Athlon XP 2500+ on NF7-S v2.0 with Corsair 1GB PC3200
2x64x64 (2x512MB) DDR 184Pin (VS1GBKIT400) and BFG FX5900. I know nothing
about this bios, could anyone please go through which settings to choose? I
understand that I should set it to 200x11 for 3200+ performance but what
about memory timings, etc?

thanks

Old January 28th 04, 10:53 AM
Chip

"barton" wrote in message
om...
no one has this combination?

Probably not.

Corsair will tell you what memory timings you can set though. It doesn't
have a lot to do with the motherboard. The ram will be good for certain
timings, more or less irrespective of the board you put it in. I would have
thought 11-2-2 Cas 2 would be a good choice, something like that. Some
would say 5-2-2 or 6-2-2, but there's no speed advantage, just risk of
instability. Really safe settings would be 11-3-3 Cas 2 and I doubt even
then if you could actually detect any speed difference.

Oh and BTW, there is no guarantee that your CPU will do 11x200. And it will
almost certainly need extra volts in order to run at that speed.

Chip.

Old February 19th 04, 02:39 PM
Mark

Sorry to jump on this thread but did you get this card to run on your board?
here is my story
I hope someone can help me figure this out.
IS ANYONE running the BFG FX5900 on the NF7-S V2 Board?
I can not get it to run. At post I see gray verticle lines. They go
away if in the BIOS. Then they appear at the black and graphic XP
Home screen but the lines are blue. Then the screen goes black and
there is a hang and then it reboots never loading XP.
Then I get a Windows did not load screen and to boot in safe mode
choices. This screen does not have the lines but it will not boot even
in safe mode.

I have been in contact with both Abit and BFG
Both claim it is not their product that is the probllem.

Currently I am runnig a BFG FX5600 with 256 memory and it is running
fine.
So ABIT says the AGP slot is running fine.
Abit states they tested the 5900 chipset in this model board. Not BFG
but the chipset and they said it worked fine. But I do not know how I
would know if they actually tested it. Abit argued that 8X agp is
always .8 V and no matter what card it will use the same voltage even
if one consumes more power at that voltatge.

BFG says they are sort of right. AND that the two cards require
different power. They just sent me a second card and it produced THE
SAME problem. IN that time they suggested to upgrade the PSU. I did
to an 500 W AND for some reason they are sending me a THRID card to
test.

I decided to loose any savings I had so ordered a second MB to be
certain it is not a defective part on the board. It is the only true
way.

BUT I see both sides- If I am running a card in the AGP slot, how
could it be the main board? If I am on my second video card, how can
it be the card?

So I am in need of help to find if anyone can run BFGs card on the
NF7-S V2.
If you do can you post what BIOS you are using?

here is what I have done- I have updated all the drivers, the bios to
v 21 and all the nforce chipset drivers as of 3 weeks ago. I have
upgraded my power supply and tried uplugging itemss to make sure the
power is strong.
I have changed settings in the BIOS as per BFGs list of recommended
settings.
I have tried upping the AGP voltage in the BIOS to 1.7 with no change.

I can only conclude, until the new parts come, that it is the BFG
FX5900 and ABIT NF7-S are NOT COMPATIBLE.
BUT if some ARE using them together, then I am stumped what is wrong.
Thanks for a prompt reply
Specs
Abit NF7-S V2
Bios Award V 21
AMD 2500+ Bartron (never over clocked)
1 Gig Kingston Value Ram running in dual channel mode (2x512)
Achieve 500W PSU
1 Floppy
1 TDK Velo CD writer
1 SATA Seagate 160 Gig
1 WD 30 Gig drive
1 PCI call wating modem
4 USB devices (printer, scanner, mouse, card reader)
Serial keyboard
Using Onboard sound