Which backup programs will do this?

Old December 29th 05, 11:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Which backup programs will do this?

I've never used an imaging program and am a bit wary of the concept.
My knowledge is limited, but it seems to me that it would be more
foolproof and convenient to have another bootable drive with an exact
copy of the main drive's contents: (OS, programs and data). This way,
if the main drive fails, I can simply set the bios to boot from the
backup drive (or even physically switch the drives, so that no BIOS
changes are required). Is there good justification for this backup
strategy?

If so....
on my Win XP, PC, what is an inexpensive way to copy the contents
of my main 120gb drive (contains my OS, my programs and my data) onto
another drive, so that the other drive is also bootable.

According to a PC World artice, CMS Product's $79 BounceBack
Professional 5.5 does this. But I'm guessing there is a cheaper,
simpler way. Bounceback doesn't seem to have a support site anyway.

After doing the initial copying of all the files, I would then like
a program that automatically backs up only files that are newly
created and all files that are subsequently changed, onto backup
drive, thus maintaining an accurate copy of the main drive as
efficiently as possible.

My main drive is 120gb and my backup drive is only 80gb, however, I
don't anticipate that the 120gb will ever contain anything approaching
80gb of data.

Budget is tight but the program needs to be effective and reliable. If
it's easy to understand and use, that would be good.

Will something as simple as Windows' drag-and-drop, or DOS Xcopy, do
the intitial copying of the main disc effectively? If so, I could then
use a low cost backup program to backup just the files that get
changed or added, yes?

Thank you,

Al D
Old December 29th 05, 12:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I've never used an imaging program and am a bit wary of the concept.
My knowledge is limited, but it seems to me that it would be more
foolproof and convenient to have another bootable drive with an exact
copy of the main drive's contents: (OS, programs and data). This way,
if the main drive fails, I can simply set the bios to boot from the
backup drive (or even physically switch the drives, so that no BIOS
changes are required). Is there good justification for this backup
strategy?

If so....
on my Win XP, PC, what is an inexpensive way to copy the contents
of my main 120gb drive (contains my OS, my programs and my data) onto
another drive, so that the other drive is also bootable.

Thank you,

Al D

Acronis trueimage will do exactly what you want i.e. clone your disk
directly to another disk or create a disk image on removeable media. Create
incremental images, scheduling etc etc.

MJP

Old December 29th 05, 01:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"MJP" wrote in message

[...]

yes, I second TrueImage. Nice front end and easy to use and relatively
cheap.

Old December 29th 05, 02:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 29 Dec 2005 13:15:59 +0100, "MJP" wrote:

Acronis trueimage will do exactly what you want i.e. clone your disk
directly to another disk or create a disk image on removeable media. Create
incremental images, scheduling etc etc.

Thank you. I am currently downloading the program. Then someone told
me about RAID hard drive controllers! That sounds even better...

Is RAID a practical option for keeping a running identical copy of a
hard drive? Do the two hard drives have to be identical in size?

I looked at the price of RAID controller cards and they appear to be
very cheap.

Thanks

Al D

Old December 29th 05, 04:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"AL D" wrote in message
On 29 Dec 2005 13:15:59 +0100, "MJP" wrote:

Acronis trueimage will do exactly what you want i.e. clone your disk
directly to another disk or create a disk image on removeable media.

Create
incremental images, scheduling etc etc.

Thank you. I am currently downloading the program. Then someone told
me about RAID hard drive controllers! That sounds even better...

Is RAID a practical option for keeping a running identical copy of a
hard drive? Do the two hard drives have to be identical in size?

What you described as needed, is exactly what RAID does. It maintains a
realtime, exact duplicate of your HD. If one of the pair should fail, the
system keeps humming along as if nothing happened. The RAID controller
simply continues to read/write from the working HD. In the meantime, you
obtain a replacement HD. Once done, install it and the RAID controller
rebuilds the array (i.e., copies the current state of the good HD to the new
drive).

I use RAID1 (mirroring) myself, works great. Many newer mobo's already
contain a RAID controller for SATA HDs. The only vulnerability is during
the time you have a failure and the replacement is pending. But you could
always have a spare available, do a backup, etc. But the nice thing about
RAID is that it works silently and effortlessly in the background. And it
works for ANY OS, even if the OS isn't even boot, essentially ALL the time.
And that's because it works at the BIOS level, before any OS is ever loaded.
So if you multi-booted, say XP and Linux, both would be protected.

No, they don't have to be identical, the array is simply created based on
the smaller of the two. So if you use two different sized HDs, you're
simply wasting some space. But it will work.

Jim

Old December 29th 05, 05:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

AL D wrote:

[...]

I'd suggest you separate the process of backing up the O.S. and programs
from 'data' as they're really different issues. O.S. and programs do not
change nearly as often as data does and, at the worst, are restorable from
the original install CDs.

From a cost standpoint, XP has a built-in backup capability that satisfies
all the criteria you listed for data backup. From XP's help...

Copy backup

A copy backup copies all selected files but does not mark each file as
having been backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is not
cleared). Copying is useful if you want to back up files between normal and
incremental backups because copying does not affect these other backup
operations.

Daily backup

A daily backup copies all selected files that have been modified the day
the daily backup is performed. The backed-up files are not marked as having
been backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is not cleared).

Differential backup

A differential backup copies files created or changed since the last normal
or incremental backup. It does not mark files as having been backed up (in
other words, the archive attribute is not cleared). If you are performing a
combination of normal and differential backups, restoring files and folders
requires that you have the last normal as well as the last differential
backup.

Incremental backup

An incremental backup backs up only those files created or changed since
the last normal or incremental backup. It marks files as having been backed
up (in other words, the archive attribute is cleared). If you use a
combination of normal and incremental backups, you will need to have the
last normal backup set as well as all incremental backup sets in order to
restore your data.

Normal backup

A normal backup copies all selected files and marks each file as having
been backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is cleared). With
normal backups, you need only the most recent copy of the backup file or
tape to restore all of the files. You usually perform a normal backup the
first time you create a backup set.

XP's backup can also be scheduled to run automatically.

You would, of course, have to have an operational XP system to run backup's
restore process and restore the data to, so...

For imaging system drives I use Ghost but it's a bit pricey. Acronis
trueimage is another good commercial disk imager for a little bit less.

Since you've never used an imaging program, though, and are a bit uneasy
about the process you might want to investigate some freeware tools to get
a feel for the concept. I'll say up front I've not used a one of them but
since they're free...

Here is one that has the advantage of using a windows interface. To restore
a dead system, though, you need something 'windows' that's bootable (the
reason most of them use that 'cryptic' DOS command line) but they show how
to make an XP bootable WinPE CD.

http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

http://www.runtime.org/peb.htm

There is also a drive imaging program called DrvImagerXP but last I heard
it was unable to image the system partition. Just mentioned it so you don't
waste time with it.

http://www.lexundesigns.com/ has a program called Lexun Backup Solution. I
haven't a clue about it but the description suggest it can image drives.

A freeware page with some more ideas.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilit...andimage.shtml

Btw, don't 'experiment' with your business stuff.

Old December 29th 05, 07:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:19:24 -0600, David Maynard
wrote:

AL D wrote:

[...]

From a cost standpoint, XP has a built-in backup capability that satisfies
[...]

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions. Before reading the above, I
had already downloaded Acronis Trueimage 9 and it seems surprisingly
straightforward, so far. It seems to do all the important things I
need it to. But I haven't finished trying it out yet...

Al D

Old December 29th 05, 07:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:22:27 +0000 (UTC), "Henry"
wrote:

Acronis trueimage will do exactly what you want i.e. clone your disk
directly to another disk

I have hit an apprent problem doing this. Acronis tells me that if I
clone my system disc, I will then have to remove the old disc! Anyone
know why?

Al D

Old December 29th 05, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"AL D" wrote in message
On 29 Dec 2005 13:15:59 +0100, "MJP" wrote:

Acronis trueimage will do exactly what you want i.e. clone your disk
directly to another disk or create a disk image on removeable media.
Create
incremental images, scheduling etc etc.

Thank you. I am currently downloading the program. Then someone told
me about RAID hard drive controllers! That sounds even better...

Is RAID a practical option for keeping a running identical copy of a
hard drive? Do the two hard drives have to be identical in size?

I looked at the price of RAID controller cards and they appear to be
very cheap.

Thanks

Al D

you need to select Backup....NOT Clone.

Clone is used when you are replacing your Boot Hard Drive with a new one