ASUS P5B

Old January 13th 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Peter van der Goes

Default ASUS P5B

"Bruce Chastain" wrote in message
. net...
Of all the motherboards out there, I think the P5B is the one I want for
my next computer.

However, I'm having trouble figuring out what features the different
models have. The ASUS motherboard specs pages don't always mention all
the features like heat pipes, etc.

Does anyone know of a page that summarizes the *differences* between the
P5B, P5B-E, P5B-Deluxe, P5B-Deluxe/Wi-Fi AP? I've also read of a P5B-E
Plus which is not mentioned at all on the ASUS site!

5 models of a single base motherboard makes it hard to choose.

Thanks!
Bruce.

Try this page:

You'll get something like this:

http://www.asus.com.tw/products_comp... 179,1347,1399

Old January 13th 07, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Peter van der Goes

"Bruce Chastain" wrote in message
. net...
Of all the motherboards out there, I think the P5B is the one I want for
my next computer.

However, I'm having trouble figuring out what features the different
models have. The ASUS motherboard specs pages don't always mention all
the features like heat pipes, etc.

Does anyone know of a page that summarizes the *differences* between the
P5B, P5B-E, P5B-Deluxe, P5B-Deluxe/Wi-Fi AP? I've also read of a P5B-E
Plus which is not mentioned at all on the ASUS site!

5 models of a single base motherboard makes it hard to choose.

Thanks!
Bruce.

Sorry about the bogus first link in my previous message. It should have
been:

http://www.asus.com.tw:80/products_c...spx?l1=3&l2=-1

Old January 13th 07, 09:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in message
Try this page:

I think that's the wrong link. That goes to a newegg video card.

You'll get something like this:

http://www.asus.com.tw/products_comp... 179,1347,1399

Now, that's a winner!! Excellent! That's very helpful. Now how did you
find/create that page?

Bruce.

Old January 13th 07, 10:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in message
Sorry about the bogus first link in my previous message. It should have
been:

http://www.asus.com.tw:80/products_c...spx?l1=3&l2=-1

Thanks. Now I remember seeing that page before but could never get it to
work. I could select "motherboards" but nothing else. All the other
controls are grayed out and disabled.

But after you pointing me to it again, I just figured out why. That page
doesn't work with FireFox which is my primary browser. It does work with IE
7.

Thanks very much for your help. That product comparison is exactly what I
was looking for!

Bruce.

Old January 14th 07, 02:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.

"Bruce Chastain" wrote in message
. net...
Of all the motherboards out there, I think the P5B is the one I want for
my next computer.

However, I'm having trouble figuring out what features the different
models have. The ASUS motherboard specs pages don't always mention all
the features like heat pipes, etc.

Well, after checking them all out, I think I've settled on the P5B-E Plus.
It appears to be very new and isn't stocked by newegg yet (or anywhere else
for that matter). It looks to be worth a wait.

Bruce.

Old January 14th 07, 02:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.

"Bruce." wrote in message
om...
Well, after checking them all out, I think I've settled on the P5B-E Plus.
It appears to be very new and isn't stocked by newegg yet (or anywhere
else for that matter). It looks to be worth a wait.

Uh oh. This may be bad news. The P5B-E Plus is on the Global ASUS site but
not the USA site. Maybe they don't plan to release it here. Sigh.

Bruce.

Old January 14th 07, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Michael W. Ryder

Barry Watzman wrote:
How about keep them both? And the SECOND serial port, and the second
IDE port (for 3rd & 4th IDE drives). And while we are at it, can I
please have back a floppy port that will support two floppy disk drives?
It doesn't take ANY additional hardware, just a bit (and a TINY bit at
that) of code in the BIOS.

That's what I have not found: A "legacy-rich" motherboard for Core 2
Duo with a 965 or 975 chipset.

I think a bigger part of the problem is that there is not enough
real-estate on a ATX motherboard for all the connectors, much less all
the leads that will be necessary. If you read some of the reviews of
the newer boards they complain about the IDE connectors being located so
that the cables have to be very long and travel over the CPU or other
such hassles. By the time they add the 6 SATA connectors and three or 4
PCI-E slots and ... there is no room left for the "obsolete" connectors
a lot of us need. I guess the manufacturers figure if Intel and
Microsoft don't want them we don't need them.

wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:55:07 GMT,
Michael W. Ryder wrote:

Barry Watzman wrote:
[9 quoted lines suppressed]
The P5B Deluxe also includes the rear-panel RS232 port which is one
reason I am looking at that board. I don't know why they are
dropping this port from a lot of the new boards.

[19 quoted lines suppressed]

dump the parrallel, keep the com.

Old January 14th 07, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

I feel strongly that more people will actually use serial and parallel
ports than will actually use, for example, spdif audio ports.

But I've looked at this, and room for ports really is not the issue.
There is enough room, if the available room is used creatively.

Michael W. Ryder wrote:
Barry Watzman wrote:
[...]