What am I doing wrong?

Old December 10th 18, 09:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default What am I doing wrong?

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 13:52:18 -0500, Paul

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:21:01 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 05:49:33 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2018 20:06:51 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 17:09:52 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Turing wrote:

John McGaw wrote:

Turing wrote:

I am trying to fire up this W7 PC to eventually use on a PS/2 KVM. The
PC has only one PS/2 connection (plus a few USBs of course). I want
to use a keyboard and a mouse which both are PS/2. I tried using both
the keyboard and mouse one at a time and both work during bootup. So
they both seem to work. Even in W7 altho still only one at a time.
I have to make things work with both mouse and keyboard connect of
course. I then tried using both connected to a Y connector which
changes the connections to the single PC USB input connection. Both
mouse and keyboard still work during boot. However, when I get to W7,
neither work. Funny, since both work when alone. Even when using the
Y connector. So the mouse, keyboard, Y connector, and PC USB port all
seem to be good individually, but not together, which I seem to need.
No guarantees:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Keyb...dp/B000067SLZ/

There are cheaper alternatives availlble.
That looks like mine except the white end on my 'y' is USB. Are you
saying that reducing the keyboard and mouse PS/2 connectors down to
one PC/2 connector will work when mine won't? That wud mean the
problem is in the conversion from PS/2 to USB wouldn't it?
When converting between hardware protocols (USB and PS/2), you need an
*active* adapter, not just a bunch of wires. For some keyboards, they
do the conversion inside them; that is, they have the hardware protocol
conversion logic. Lots of keyboards do not as they as designed solely
for USB or PS/2 but not both.

Did your USB keyboard come with a PS/2 adapter? No, not did you find or
buy one separately and try to use with the keyboard but instead did the
keyboard come packaged with its own USB-to-PS/2 adapter? That would
indicate (but not guarantee) the keyboard contains the hardware protocol
conversion logic.

Keyboard can come in the PS/2-only variety, USB-only, or USB-PS/2. It
depends on the logic inside the keyboard. You did not mention your
brand and model of keyboard. What brand and model of keyboard do you
have? If it has a USB end on its cord, and unless you specifically
looked for a USB-PS/2 keyboard, it is highly likely to be USB-only. To
connect to the PS/2 port on your computer, you need:

- PS/2-only keyboard (and mouse).
- USB-PS/2 keyboard and use its USB-to-PS/2 adapter.
- USB-only keyboard and an active USB-to-PS/2 adapter to convert
hardware protocols (USB to PS/2).

The Y-adapter that Paul mentioned is just splitting the wires from a
PS/2 port to a couple of PS/2 ends. No hardware protocol conversion is
required because both ends are PS/2. Some examples of an active
USB-to-PS/2 adapter a

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ps%2F2+adapter

wow

thanx for the insight.

Al
My Y-splitter is only labled wih a hard to read 'USB TO PS2' and has
one end wiith USB and the other end with two PS2s (purple & green). It
has a 'box' in the middle wherein the 'split' occurs. Does presence
of a 'box' mean it is active? Probably not, or is that how I can
tell it is 'active'? How does one tell the differeence? Think I can
use it to try to go PS2 to USB? Just wondering. IOW, are these
things reversible? I look at your suggested URL and see Y's with and
without a 'box'.

And I thought this was going to be simple! I have a PS/2 (ATEN
CS-114A) KVM, and one PC with no PS2 ports, just several USBs, and
one PC with one green PS2 port and several USBs. Maybe I can't make
this combo work? What do you think?
Thanks
Al

Damn! I thought to try to verify that the mice & keyoards I have all
work when connected directly to the PC which has only one PS/2 port,
purple & green. One keyboard at a time. They do. I then put one
keyboard PS/2 into my Y-connector and the latter to a PC USB port. It
worked too. So the keyboard is good on that computer, as is the Y.
I then piped the keyboard PS2 through the KVM. NEITHER THE MOUSE OR
KEYBOARD WORKED! So it wud seem that I cannot use this Aten 4-port
CS-114A KVM for some reason. Strange, because the KVM switches the
monitor to both PCs quite nicely.
Damn! Or did I already say that.
Al

Me again.
I have wondering if I have the KVM right. Having formerly had a
IOGEAR KVM for years which blew, I thought I should be able to handle
this ATEN KVM blindfolded. Still think so, but the cryptic manuals I
find confuse me. Anyone know of a better ATEN manual source than I
find using a Google search?
Thanks
Al

This is the CS-114A KVM.

https://assets.aten.com/product/manual/cs_114a.pdf

That doesn't have a USB port on it.

Am I missing something ?

Holy Mackerel! I have created confusion. SAT. The front of the Aten
CS-114A KVM in the above URL is a dead match for the front of mine,
the back of which has 10 PS/2s. Now I look closer at the front of
mine, and something I can hardly see (my KVM is used) barely shows
'Masterview', so I assumed (hastily I admit) I had the right manual.
at the above URL. I have to say though, above the KVM pictured in
the web picture it does say 'MASTERVIEW KVMSWITCH'. Now I join you
in confusion. I have not found a 4-port Aten MASTERVIEW that has a
front like mine. I want to rush this reply to you because I am sorry
I confused you - it is my fault. I have been busy today otherwise, but
I will try now to read the rest of your post to see where to go next.
Al

How are you able to plug your active Y adapter
into the side with the five interfaces ??? Both the
gender and direction of dataflow would be wrong
for that to work.

I'm confused. Is this some other KVM you're testing
on, one with USB ?

Paul

Old December 10th 18, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 13:34:27 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Turing wrote:

find confuse me. Anyone know of a better ATEN manual source than I
find using a Google search?

I gave you a online copy of ATEN's manual in one of your other threads.

Yes you did. I now have a different 4-port Aten KVM, which is
smaller and the front of which is 'way different looking on the front
from my earlier KVM, so I did and don't think it is the same KVM.

Sorry if I have made things worse. The Stih is getting deeper now to
say the least
Al
Old December 10th 18, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 13:43:25 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Turing wrote:

Damn! I thought to try to verify that the mice & keyoards I have all
work when connected directly to the PC which has only one PS/2 port,
purple & green. One keyboard at a time. They do. I then put one
keyboard PS/2 into my Y-connector and the latter to a PC USB port. It
worked too. So the keyboard is good on that computer, as is the Y.
I then piped the keyboard PS2 through the KVM. NEITHER THE MOUSE OR
KEYBOARD WORKED! So it wud seem that I cannot use this Aten 4-port
CS-114A KVM for some reason. Strange, because the KVM switches the
monitor to both PCs quite nicely.
Damn! Or did I already say that.
Al

Under a nym of "Piper" (who signs outside of a sigblock as "Pete", as in
Pete[r] Piper) in your prior thread titled "ATEN CS-104 KVM switch need
power cord" (Message-ID = ),
you got help on finding an AC/DC power adapter for this KVM.

Piper's headers:

Then you nymshifted to "Turing" (who signs outside of a sigblock as
"Al") in your prior thread titled "Need cables or ATEN CS104 4-port KVM"
(Message-ID = ), you had
other problems with this KVM.

Turing's headers:

You didn't have the power adapter. You didn't have the cabling.
Apparently you didn't have the manual (and others found one for you).
And you are still having problems with that KVM you got suckered into an
impulse buy at a garage sale or swap meet that was sold as-is. I don't
remember if you ever identified the computer with the PS/2 port and also
identified the keyboard (which might be a USB-PS/2 unit) but then I'm
not wandering through your other threads about evergrowing problems with
this same KVM to find out.

https://http2.mlstatic.com/master-vi...0_042018-F.jpg

From that pic, the KVM probably only handles PS/2 or DIN5 keyboards and
PS/2 or serial mice. If a PS/2-only keyboard doesn't work with this KVM
(not a USB-PS/2 keyboard using an adapter) then trash the garage-sale
KVM and get a new one. Since you have USB ports in your computer, just
move ahead to a KVM that works with USB devices (keyboard and mouse) and
get new keyboards and mice. You've spent at least 15 days here getting
help, and probably more before that, trying to get this garage-sale or
swap-meet junk to work trying to save, what, about $20 for the cost of a
new PS/2 KVM? How much did the power adapter cost? How much did those
cables cost? And you still cannot get the KVM to work. Periphery
replacement isn't going to fix the box itself.

Example of a new unit but with old PS/2 support:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAET87AA7690

$27 new, with cables, power adapter, PS/2 support, and even supports
switching of audio. That's just an example but looks discontinued (and
why I mentioned moving forward to USB input devices since your computer
has USB ports). Some other KVMs are under $20 but have no audio
support. Check the video resolution the KVM supports is equal to or
greater than your video card's maximum resolution or whatever max
resolution you will use.

That you're a nymshifter (Piper signed as Pete and Turing signed as Al)
puts me off from continuing this disjoint discussion across multiple
threads. There's something suspicious about someone who spends more
money on a power adapter and cabling to ressurect a garbage-bin unit
than to buy a new KVM that would work and warranteed. Bye bye.

I see I have ****ed u off. I did the name shift out of ignorance.
Sorry. I did not think it was important how I signed separate
threads. But I guess I was wrong!. I was simply going for
anonimity.

So, at this point I reluctantly want you all (yes, all) to forget all
this, and forget you met me. I am ambarassed, have erased all related
threads herein involved, can no longer read them, and am gone. I
will try to figger this out for myself

Cya
noname

Old December 14th 18, 11:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Turing wrote:

[...]

From that pic, the KVM probably only handles PS/2 or DIN5 keyboards and
[...]

It is only my opinion regarding nymshifting. Others might not care.
Besides the nymshifting, I felt you were keeping us dragged along on a
lost cause.

BTW, erasing the treads in your client doesn't delete them from the
servers. Your Johnny@seehere, Wayne@cowboy, Piper, Sam@spade, and
Turing posts still remain on the servers and archives.
Old December 16th 18, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Turing wrote:

[...]

From that pic, the KVM probably only handles PS/2 or DIN5 keyboards and
[...]

It may have seemed that way. Sorry. I tried to keep the 'nyms'
different because I thought the threads to be enuff different to
warrant and benefit from that. I probably was too liberal with my
'nymshifting' however. Again, I apologize. End of that subjecti. I
hope.

Lost cause it may be - since I have tried two ATEN KVM's, one
presumably new. If my mouse and keyboard hardware is/are at fault, or
I am, then I can't do this - although my prior IOGEAR MINIVIEW
'SYMPHONY' USB/VGA 4-port KVM worked fine for 2 years until it didn't.

BTW, erasing the treads in your client doesn't delete them from the
servers. Your Johnny@seehere, Wayne@cowboy, Piper, Sam@spade, and
Turing posts still remain on the servers and archives.

I knew and know that - I reacted out of frustration. Being old and
senile and frustrated having also a permanently sick and disabled
partner (not looking for pity), I guess I should just hang it up.
Maybe I will. Thanks for trying to help tho. You too, Paul.

I am now, and hopefully will stay, Mr .

xxxxx

Old December 19th 18, 02:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Turing wrote:

[...]

From that pic, the KVM probably only handles PS/2 or DIN5 keyboards
and PS/2 or serial mice. If a PS/2-only keyboard doesn't work with
[...]

Anonynity diesn't exist on teh webz unless you're using tor and even then if
you're kiddy fiddling you'll still get caught.

So, at this point I reluctantly want you all (yes, all) to forget
all this, and forget you met me. I am ambarassed, have erased all
related threads herein involved, can no longer read them, and am
gone. I will try to figger this out for myself

Cya
noname

It is only my opinion regarding nymshifting. Others might not care.

I care. Nymshifters can't be trusted. That's my take after 25 years on
usenet.

Besides the nymshifting, I felt you were keeping us dragged along on a
lost cause.

Agree. Lonely people seem to have trouble dropping the mic.

BTW, erasing the treads in your client doesn't delete them from the
servers. Your Johnny@seehere, Wayne@cowboy, Piper, Sam@spade, and
Turing posts still remain on the servers and archives.

Heh! Damn noobs. I'm all for helping people but some people seem to want
more than just help - they want attention too and I don't do that.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)