Motherboard only works with one memory chip

Old May 15th 06, 10:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Motherboard only works with one memory chip

I have tried 2 different power supplies. Sorry about the chip/dimm
names. You know what I mean.

As things stand, either one dimm will work in any of the slots.
However, both of them will not work together. They are both Crucial
brand and from the same batch/spec.

Old May 15th 06, 02:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

do_not_spam_me my-deja.com wrote:

Nick wrote:
I removed everything except basic power. Still the same; only one
chip works. Its not the memory chip as I have swapped them
around.

DIMM, not "chip". DIMM = several memory chips.

The term "memory module" might be even better.

But the fact we understand what he means is all that really matters.
It could be worse.

From: do_not_spam_me my-deja.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Motherboard only works with one memory chip
Date: 14 May 2006 19:15:02 -0700

Old May 15th 06, 02:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Troll

From: beerspill whoever.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: 14 May 2006 22:46:04 -0700

Nick wrote:

I took the 2nd memory cup out and it booted ok. So I swapped
the chips and it still booted ok. However when I put both memory
chips in there is no display.

Your soldering skills and equipment must be very good if you can swap
chips between memory modules like that.

Its a 650 watt power supply

No, it's not. Post a picture of its insides.

Old May 15th 06, 02:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Nym shifting troll

See also (in this same thread):

"larry moe 'n curly" larrymoencurly my-deja.com

From: "larry moe 'n curly" larrymoencurly my-deja.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: 14 May 2006 01:18:09 -0700

Nick wrote:

Its a 650 watt power supply (cpu is intel 2.66 Dual Core).

How do you know it's a real 650W PSU? Many manufacturers aren't
truthful, and one of the worst was found to overrate some of their PSUs
by about 100%. It's possible you have a PSU that's barely being
overloaded, and a quality 400W PSU would let your system work.

I don't see how a mobo can run with only one memory chip because
wouldn't that require either a chip that's at least 64 bits wide or
hardware to make it look that wide? All memory modules I've seen that
were at least 512MB in size each contained either 8 or 16 chips.

Old May 15th 06, 02:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I tested them in all slots; slots all work with individual dimms. But
when I place 2 dimms (in separate slots of course) there is problem (no
post/display).

Old May 15th 06, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Nick wrote:
I tested them in all slots; slots all work with individual dimms. But
when I place 2 dimms (in separate slots of course) there is problem (no
post/display).

What does the manual say about maximum memmory and memmory per slot?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old May 16th 06, 07:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Actually I have done all the tests with HD etc removed (only ATX, cpu
fan plugged in) and the memory still work in pairs.

I will try changing memory speeds to see if it makes any difference.

Old May 16th 06, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

John Doe wrote:
do_not_spam_me my-deja.com wrote:

DIMM, not "chip". DIMM = several memory chips.

The term "memory module" might be even better.

But the fact we understand what he means is all that really matters.
It could be worse.

I know someone who removed a 32MB x 8 memory _chip_ from a 64MB DIMM
when instructed to do so by a tech support person who meant to say
"DIMM" or "memory module." This is why I don't like using incorrect
teminology.

Old May 16th 06, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Nick wrote:

I will try changing memory speeds to see if it makes any difference.

If adjusting the BIOS manually for very slow memory timings doesn't
help, try adjusting any termination voltage setting in the BIOS or
cleaning possibly dirty memory slot contacts by rubbing with an index
or business card soaked in 90% pure alcohol.

Is there any way you can test both DIMMs in another motherboard.

I had an instance where a pair of identical SIMMs or DIMMs worked fine
with other modules but not with one another. This was back when most
modules contained branded chips.

Old May 16th 06, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote in message
oups.com...

John Doe wrote:
do_not_spam_me my-deja.com wrote:

DIMM, not "chip". DIMM = several memory chips.

The term "memory module" might be even better.

But the fact we understand what he means is all that really matters.
It could be worse.

I know someone who removed a 32MB x 8 memory _chip_ from a 64MB DIMM
when instructed to do so by a tech support person who meant to say
"DIMM" or "memory module." This is why I don't like using incorrect
teminology.

thats the type of person that should not have opened the case.