AMD 64 or Pentium 4? Which one for new mobo?

Old December 18th 05, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Default AMD 64 or Pentium 4? Which one for new mobo?

I am getting a new mobo soon in the 995 socket. I have always used Pentium
4, so I know what to expect from it. But what about Athlon 64. Which would
you go with, and why?

Old December 18th 05, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

BTW, I meant specifically the Athlon 64 when I said AMD 64.

news

Old December 18th 05, 03:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

"Go Tyler" wrote in message
.. .
BTW, I meant specifically the Athlon 64 when I said AMD 64.

"Go Tyler" wrote in message
news
I am getting a new mobo soon in the 995 socket. I have always used Pentium
4, so I know what to expect from it. But what about Athlon 64. Which would
you go with, and why?

Am I missing summat then? I thought A64's were either socket 754 or 939.

SteveH

Old December 18th 05, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

754,939,940 are the AMD sockets. What are you going to be using it for?
Once you let us know that you can get a better answer. However I would go
with the AMD considering their dual core proc and their 64bit proc lines
perform better overall and produce way less heat then the P4 LGA775 line

Old December 18th 05, 05:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

I shouldn't have listed the socket in my original post; I have not even
decided on a MOBO yet. It seems to me that the ones I am looking at more and
appreciating more are the boards that support AMD.

Music, TV, Games are the big three--and probably the only things--that
occupy my time on the computer.

I have never heard that the AMD did not get as hot as the Pentium. Is that
really true? That would be something to consider as a factor also.

Thank you all.

Old December 18th 05, 05:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Go Tyler wrote:
I am getting a new mobo soon in the 995 socket. I have always used Pentium
4, so I know what to expect from it. But what about Athlon 64. Which would
you go with, and why?

I would go for a S939 Opteron :P

Though it might sound a bit weird since Opterons are server/workstation
processors, they are quite fast, and because they are made to be stable,
you can overclock them a lot before they start to crash.

But if you don't like overclocking, you can go for an Athlon too, they
might be a little cheaper, and perform a lot better than equally priced
Pentium 4 processors.

Marc
Old December 18th 05, 06:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

"Go Tyler" wrote...
I shouldn't have listed the socket in my original post; I have not even decided
on a MOBO yet. It seems to me that the ones I am looking at more and
appreciating more are the boards that support AMD.

Music, TV, Games are the big three--and probably the only things--that occupy
my time on the computer.

I have never heard that the AMD did not get as hot as the Pentium. Is that
really true? That would be something to consider as a factor also.

Go to amd.com and intel.com for tech specs -- the thermal ratings (e.g., about
80 watts for an Opteron) will tell you about the power consumption, therefore
the heat generated.

The newer 90 micron dies use lower voltage and relatively less power than the
older dies.

If game performance is what you want, you'll have to put up with more heat. The
AMD FX (currently 55 or 57) series (socket 939) is likely your best choice.
Then you have the gfx card to deal with, in any case...

Old December 18th 05, 07:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:26:06 -0600, "Go Tyler"
wrote:

I shouldn't have listed the socket in my original post; I have not even
decided on a MOBO yet. It seems to me that the ones I am looking at more and
appreciating more are the boards that support AMD.

Music, TV, Games are the big three--and probably the only things--that
occupy my time on the computer.

I have never heard that the AMD did not get as hot as the Pentium. Is that
really true? That would be something to consider as a factor also.

Here have you been hiding then? P4 is fairly infamous for
being hot-running... ever since AMD went from Palomino to
Thoroughbred. The funny part is everyone thinks "AMD cooler
since Athlon64" but they were cooler at full load before
then.

Athlon64 is your best bet. Music, TV and game don't benefit
much from dual core, but if you were wanting to
simultaneously do a couple things, say software-codec-based
video capture while using the system otherwise, dual core
might be what you want. Video capture and gaming would
still be pushing it, dual core would help but there are
still the other bottlenecks like memory throughput or HDD,
maybe audio, etc.

Unless you're doing video editing a LOT I wouldn't consider
a P4 at all, rather a Pentium M if you wanted to go with
Intel.
Old December 18th 05, 09:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

In article , Go Tyler
says...
I shouldn't have listed the socket in my original post; I have not even
decided on a MOBO yet. It seems to me that the ones I am looking at more and
appreciating more are the boards that support AMD.

Music, TV, Games are the big three--and probably the only things--that
occupy my time on the computer.

AMD64 then. Don't get any benefits from getting a dual core either at
the moment.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

CAD and Pentium 4 vs Pentium M Matt Roberts Intel 2 June 30th 05 03:33 PM
Bad mobo? wayneP Homebuilt PC's 7 December 23rd 04 10:00 AM
can abit mobo run cpu in underclock status? sharon Abit Motherboards 1 December 19th 04 10:04 AM
Slot - T adapter Celeron vs Pentium III BH6 Mobo Dan Abit Motherboards 0 July 1st 04 04:26 AM