Hard Drive Help

Old May 17th 06, 01:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Hard Drive Help

Hi all, I have an ASUS mobo that can take an UltraATA 133 HDD but I have
questions about it. Ive seen on ebay ATA133 drives and ATA100 drives what
is the difference from these two from UltraATA133 and if available
UltraATA100? Also is a "White Label" - Platinum HDD a good brand and
reliable? its a 160Gb

Thanks Shaun B.

Old May 17th 06, 02:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"GabrielSab" wrote in message
Hi all, I have an ASUS mobo that can take an UltraATA 133 HDD but I have
questions about it. Ive seen on ebay ATA133 drives and ATA100 drives what
is the difference from these two from UltraATA133 and if available
UltraATA100? Also is a "White Label" - Platinum HDD a good brand and
reliable? its a 160Gb

Thanks Shaun B.

ATA133 and ATA100 are identical. Last I checked, there was no official
ATA133 spec., this was just a supposed improvement that some disk (and
mainboard) manufacturers implemented.

HOWEVER, there isn't a disk drive ever made that can read/write information
fast enough for ATA66 to be a bottleneck. So if there was a difference
between ATA100 and ATA133, the difference to YOU, would be absolutely
nothing. In other words, the drive technology itself hasn't caught up to
the ATA100 interface yet.

White label means that the drive is generic. It could be a good brand, and
it could be crap. If you regularly back up your data files from your hard
drive, a white label hard drive should work fine. But as hardly anybody
ever does that . . .

(I wouldn't chance it)

Last I checked, Samsung made some really reliable hard drives, fairly
heap. -Dave

Changing Harddrives whilst PC includes a RAID Array D Storage (alternative) 10 November 24th 05 11:05 PM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Norton Ghost - Clone Won't Work jimbo Homebuilt PC's 70 November 15th 04 01:56 AM
How to install 2nd HDD with Partition Magic 6.0 partitions under Windows ME? Phred Dell Computers 13 February 18th 04 08:45 AM
Need *HELP* retrieving data off failed hard drive - sources of info greatly appreciated Stellijer Storage (alternative) 36 December 19th 03 07:53 PM