Need advice on a new computer

Old April 20th 14, 11:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

Default Need advice on a new computer

On 4/19/2014 12:56 PM, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:21:01 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

On 18/04/2014 8:35 PM, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
My old build is 5 years old, and it's fine for everything I do except
video editing. I have 2 DVDs of video.... sent many many 8mm rolls off
to the lab and had it all scanned to video files.... now I have to go
thorough it all, arrange it chronologically, cut out crap and add in
transitions. This means lots of rendering.... and the old computer
doesn't want to do that very quickly. What parameters are best to
optomize for video editing? It seem like multiple threads might help,
but I don't know if my editing program (Premier Elements 9) supports
that.... and don't know how much memory will speed things up. Does
anyone know if a better software program would make things go faster?

Any recommendations appreciated.

According to this review:

"Both Elements—Premiere and Photoshop—can be had for $149.99 together or
$99.99 separately. If you're upgrading from a previous version, those
prices drop to $119.99 and $79.99. The software is available for both
Windows (XP with SP3, Vista with SP2, Windows 7, or Windows 8 & 8.1) and
Mac (OS X v10.7 through v10.9). On Windows it requires a 2GHz or faster
processor with SSE2 support, 2GB RAM (though I'd recommend more), and a
DX 9 or 10 graphics card with at least a 1024x768 monitor. It only runs
at 64-bits on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 and Mac. For this review, I tested
Premiere Elements 12 on a 3.4GHz AMD quad-core Windows 7 Ultimate PC
with 8GB DDR3 RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 4290 graphics adapter."

The only things it needs are SSE2 support and a DirectX 9 or 10 video
card. Of course, that's for Premiere Elements 12, rather than PE 9, so
PE 9 might be even more lax on its requirements.

How much RAM and how many cores do you have on your current rig?

Yousuf Khan

2 cores (Intel E8400) and 8 GB, Win 7 64bit.

I would say the first thing to consider is your budget and upgrade
with a new motherboard,CPU,RAM and PSU. This won't really cost you as
much as the time you spend waiting for all those videos to render.

I built a cheap system just for that purpose and did it well.

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, 2800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical
Processor(s)

$22.00

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Around $80.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 1GB GDDR5, PCI-E 2.0 x 16, Graphics Card

About $180.

16BG DDR3 RAM about $150.

750W PSU about $75.

Old April 21st 14, 12:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 18:40:56 -0400, Al Drake
wrote:

I built a cheap system just for that purpose and did it well.

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, 2800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical
Processor(s)

$22.00

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Around $80.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 1GB GDDR5, PCI-E 2.0 x 16, Graphics Card

About $180.

16BG DDR3 RAM about $150.

750W PSU about $75.

Good stuff but could be overall cheaper.

Excellent price on the processor.

Not bad for the ASUS - not a budget MB, but for the price better off
with the ASUS brandname rather than some lesser name for $50 that's
not as reputable.

Graphics card really isn't a need for video rendering only unless
there's a confidence/realtime-monitoring thing going on. Assign the
video job for its parameters and view the results after it's
rendered/compiled. Last I processed video, anyway (no special
effects, fades and whatnot.)

Memory has always been relatively cheap, last I looked, in
well-reviewed noname Newegg offerings. Dig around a little in the
reivews for adequate matches on a given MB to memory offerings.

Maybe shave a few bucks on a PS rebate/sale for something along 500W
in a topnotch brand, SeaSonic possibly.

The memory, both amount and price, and a $180 videoboard - I'd
question those items, though. That's somewhere liberally between 200,
250 to discount for otherwise $300 you've added into the build.

(Last build, my idea of cheap on the new, I priced for myself, not
that long ago, I had a total at around $120 - basic core components:
MB/CPU/MEM. Likely a dual-core in newer FX/CPU-graphics enabled, as
anything more I likely wouldn't need - case and PS, all that stuff,
I've already spare generic parts. Not a graphics intensive thing,
either, of course. Most I have to impose on a processor is regular
multimedia decoding/streaming, along with some simultaneous sound
processing - heats up my present 3Ghz x2 Athlon a bit is all. MB
chipset runs at 130F and CPU at 115F while carrying those loads.
Forget my wattage draw offhand.)
Old April 21st 14, 08:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

wrote:

[...]

All very true. I was mostly posting an example and spent little time on
prices and research in real time. I like the board and processor as
it's now over clocked and has given me no trouble. I've had this
particular system for some time now. I'm ready to build one more. Your
right about the video card but I would be careful with the psu. I've had
one go bad and when that happens it can take out more hardware when it goes.

Old April 21st 14, 08:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

On 4/20/2014 7:54 PM, DK wrote:
In article , Al Drake wrote:
I built a cheap system just for that purpose and did it well.

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, 2800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical
Processor(s)

$22.00

This must have been $122, no? I've never seen it going for less than $100,
even used.

DK

The $22.00 is what I found when I searched but that's only the chip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-I...item27e2a7b7cd

Old April 21st 14, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 03:27:56 -0400, Al Drake
wrote:

All very true. I was mostly posting an example and spent little time on
prices and research in real time. I like the board and processor as
it's now over clocked and has given me no trouble. I've had this
particular system for some time now. I'm ready to build one more. Your
right about the video card but I would be careful with the psu. I've had
one go bad and when that happens it can take out more hardware when it goes.

That's what I figured (in mention to DK) - you'd found the CPU on
Ebay. Must have been your day - six, no wait. . .

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, 2800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical
Processor(s)

Had to do that just to wrap my ears around it again. Bear with me, as
I've only had duals, so six is sorta rocket science or something. But,
wait, there's mo (Once more) for $22;- Stuff from Outer Space, fer
sure.

Be careful about what you say about power supply units taking out
other components. I was trying to tell people I had a bad ASUS MB
that was repeatedly taking out Power Supplies. According to common
regard, I was informed, a PS has protective circuitry which cannot
negatively affect or be complicit as part of a chain causing failure
to otherwise good components. That is to include the PS unit itself.

Velly, velly well. So much for the smoke I saw arising out from a
Sparkle/Fortron unit: Thick and literally as heavy as a proverbial
brick, I was so proud to research that unit down, buy, use and own it
for several years. 400-watts of pure server grade, as a matter of
fact, at least unit my ASUS long last up and "ate" it.

As far as PS units do go, though, my motto is nevertheless: do buy,
never skimp on the best known quality make you can afford for what you
see as your projected need.

PS- O- &BTW- I've since been running a set of modest socket-type
replacement Gigabyte MBs these days, fwiw. (Heh - not enough space
between their ears to mention six cores.)
Old April 24th 14, 02:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fishface[_2_]

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

My old build is 5 years old, and it's fine for everything I do except
video editing. I have 2 DVDs of video.... sent many many 8mm rolls off
to the lab and had it all scanned to video files.... now I have to go
thorough it all, arrange it chronologically, cut out crap and add in
transitions. This means lots of rendering.... and the old computer
doesn't want to do that very quickly. What parameters are best to
optomize for video editing? It seem like multiple threads might help,
but I don't know if my editing program (Premier Elements 9) supports
that.... and don't know how much memory will speed things up. Does
anyone know if a better software program would make things go faster?

To which file format has your 8mm film been converted? If .mpg, ideally
you don't want to re-render or you will lose quality. Choosing a program
which can smart render and only re-render your "transitions" might
completely negate your need for a hardware upgrade.

Old April 24th 14, 03:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:01:41 -0700, "Fishface"
wrote:

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

[...]

Now that's interesting! I really don't know much about this, so
tomorrow I'll load the DVD and take a look and see exactly what I
have, and post back here.
Old April 24th 14, 04:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

wrote:

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

[...]

OK, a quick look at the DVD shows that they are all VOB files. some
time ago I copied them to my hard drive, and attempted to rename them
all in date order, but that's still a mess. I can load these files
into Premier Elements, and it will allow me to then combine them, cut
out sections, insert transitions, etc., but it seems to want to render
before I can leave Premier.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Old April 24th 14, 11:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 22:09:44 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
wrote:

Appreciate any suggestions.

VOB is the standard format for any standard Walmart DVD settop player
for a movie disc rental.

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome you to broadcast
engineering! . . . http://forum.doom9.org/

(The FCC just passed a law yesterday that will allow ISP carriers to
raise the rates on Internet service sites, notably businesses which
provide higher bandwidth content. Broadcasting sites, such as NetFlix
or Amazon with film and "television" content-for-subscription, are no
longer immune under a prior laws governing a WWW "pipelines for all
the people all the time." Progressive policy progress probably, if
not good enough reason to keep my bandwidth the same and double my
rates for the greater glory of general principles.)
Old April 25th 14, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fishface[_2_]

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

OK, a quick look at the DVD shows that they are all VOB files. some
time ago I copied them to my hard drive, and attempted to rename them
all in date order, but that's still a mess. I can load these files
into Premier Elements, and it will allow me to then combine them, cut
out sections, insert transitions, etc., but it seems to want to render
before I can leave Premier.
Appreciate any suggestions.

Most likely, the .vob files are containers for mpeg2. Copy one off a DVD
and rename
the extension to .mpg. Check the properties while it is playing in MPC
(Media Player
Classic) or whatever app you may have that can show this information.

There is an app called Video Redo which has a lot of fans. The TV Suite
version says it
can import from DVD. It supports smart rendering and can add transitions.
There is
a free trial, which has an output time limit-- I believe it is 15 minutes.
http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

When I tried it on .mpg files created by my TV Tuner card (many years ago),
the audio
became out of sync so I just rage quit and used Mpeg2schnitt, which is free,
but requires
de-multiplexing to elementary files and then re-multiplexing afterwards. It
also does not
do transitions.