Anyone recommend a good shareware/freebie diagnostic utility for my PC.

Old September 22nd 03, 01:10 PM
Shiperton Henethe

Default Anyone recommend a good shareware/freebie diagnostic utility for my PC.

Hi

My PC is running very slow.

Someone suggested that I might have some
hardware fault(s) (e.g. RAM not working right).

Can anyone recommend a good shareware/freebie utility
to let me test my machine?!

with thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

P.S.
My machine is quite stable but SLOW.
It takes about 22 seconds to load PhotoShop 6 (.01)
I only have maybe 20 bits of software installed...

I am trying to avoid formatting the HD and starting
again - which I'm sure would speed everything up
(knowing how poorly windows handles temporarly software
installations etc)

O/S: Windows 2000 (all latest patches)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8TX, ("Rev1.0",
Intel 850, 4M, AMIBIOS
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHz,
RAM: 512MB PC-800 RIMMS (= "RAMBUS")
Case: Enlight ATX
CD: Plextor CD-RW
Network Card: 10/100 PCI
Graphics Card: Matrox Millenium G450 DualHead
SCSI: Adaptec 29160
C:drive 9GB SCSI (Fujitsu
D:drive 18GB SCSI
Sound card: 1024Live "Sound Blaster Live" Model CT4830 from
Creative Technology S/N M4830030273545
O/S: Windows 2000 OEM

Serial Number: DCS1022, Date of Purchase Wed, 13-June-2001,
Return Address: Firstlink Computing Ltd, York House, High Street,
Amblecote, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY8 4BT

* * * * *
* AMSS DICOVERED *
BIOS: American Megatrends Released 03/20/2001
8XT F5 == upgraded to "8TX F7"
CPU ID:0F0A PatchID: 0005
RAMBUS: Rambus Frequency 400/100 MH
SCSI CARD: BIOS v.2.57.2
O/S: Windows 2000 5.00.2195 Service Pack2
51873-OEM-0000545-61620

CD: YAMAHA "16-10-40" Model: CRW2100E-VK S/N:
FVD0169763

Graphics Tablet: WACOM - INTUOS (6.5 inches?)
Model:GD-0405-R / *GD-0405-R*
Serial *OGJ-001339*

Old September 22nd 03, 01:54 PM
Bob Day

"Shiperton Henethe" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

My PC is running very slow.

Someone suggested that I might have some
hardware fault(s) (e.g. RAM not working right).

Can anyone recommend a good shareware/freebie utility
to let me test my machine?!

Try defragmenting your hard drives. But before you
do that, I would recommend you thoroughly check out
your memory. If your memory is prone to errors, the
defragmentation process opens a huge risk for anything
stored on your hard drives to become corrupted. A
good memory diagnostic is memtest86, which can be
downloaded from http://www.memtest86.com/. Run it
for a few passes. There should be zero errors.

-- Bob Day

Old September 22nd 03, 04:18 PM
Shiperton Henethe

"Bob Day" wrote in message
"Shiperton Henethe" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

My PC is running very slow.

Someone suggested that I might have some
hardware fault(s) (e.g. RAM not working right).

Can anyone recommend a good shareware/freebie utility
to let me test my machine?!

Try defragmenting your hard drives. But before you
do that, I would recommend you thoroughly check out
your memory. If your memory is prone to errors, the
defragmentation process opens a huge risk for anything
stored on your hard drives to become corrupted. A
good memory diagnostic is memtest86, which can be
downloaded from http://www.memtest86.com/. Run it
for a few passes. There should be zero errors.

Thanks. I'll try it.
FWIW, I defrag atleast once per week.

Ship

Old September 22nd 03, 10:12 PM
AJ

Hi

My PC is running very slow.

Someone suggested that I might have some
hardware fault(s) (e.g. RAM not working right).

Can anyone recommend a good shareware/freebie utility
to let me test my machine?!

with thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

If you're not running a spyware remover that could do it. My Vaio
shipped with 11 pieces of spyware on it.
This is a top rated program and free:
http://www.safer-networking.org/
I run free tests at http://www.pcpitstop.com all the time.
I paid for Sandra Pro but the free one is pretty good:
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/
The free program AIDA32 wil tell you every little detail about your
PC: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco

dvd burner.. which one? db General 8 June 27th 04 07:47 PM
When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
Good Deals Online MainDeals Overclocking 4 December 7th 03 05:32 AM
good multi function printer sub £100 Muhammad Berki General 0 November 29th 03 07:48 PM
Is Swiftech MCX462 PLUS any good? S.Heenan Overclocking AMD Processors 4 June 29th 03 10:23 PM