Turned from Pentium to AMD Athlon!

Old March 21st 06, 12:32 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Default Turned from Pentium to AMD Athlon!

just threw my faithful Pentium 4 (2.8GHz) into a cupboard!
making way for my new "super beast" (so im told)
i have been a Pentium buff for years and changing to Amd!!! well its a
strange concept!

any comments on athlon good or bad ?

nForce 4 ultra chipset SATAII(250Gb) 0+1
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2 HT2000 1M939
Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX
bla bla bla!

i know nothing of Athlon! hope it is worth the money! (£2350)

Old March 21st 06, 06:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 00:32:56 GMT, lid (SIMöN1975) wrote:

just threw my faithful Pentium 4 (2.8GHz) into a cupboard!
making way for my new "super beast" (so im told)
i have been a Pentium buff for years and changing to Amd!!! well its a
strange concept!

any comments on athlon good or bad ?

nForce 4 ultra chipset SATAII(250Gb) 0+1

That sounds like a good place to start. Depending on the features and
specs you want the GeForce 6xxx/nForce 4xx series chipsets might be
another good option. Same sort of performance but with more
integrated features and a lower price, usually at the expense of some
PCI/PCI-e expansion slots.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2 HT2000 1M939

For a gaming system that's probably a reasonable choice, particularly
if you're looking to save a few bucks as compared to the 3800+ or
4000+. For anything other than gaming I would tend to prefer one of
the Athlon64 X2 dual-core chips, though admittedly they cost more.

Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX

You might want to consider a GeForce 7900GT instead. Basically the
same performance but with about a 25% lower price tag (and less power
consumption to boot). This part is brand new though, so finding it
might be a bit tough.

i know nothing of Athlon! hope it is worth the money! (£2350)

??? That seems like a LOT of money for what you have listed above!
Going from my local on-line retailer I came out to a cost of just over
$1500 Canadian (~750 GB pounds) for that setup. Maybe a little bit
more if you add a couple extras like floppy, keyboard, speakers, etc.
Still, even if you were to go for a pair of GeForce 7800GTX cards in
an SLI setup and a 20" LCD panel you shouldn't be spending much more
than 1500 pounds.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old March 21st 06, 10:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person Tony Hill said
snip spec
i know nothing of Athlon! hope it is worth the money! (£2350)

??? That seems like a LOT of money for what you have listed above!
Going from my local on-line retailer I came out to a cost of just over
$1500 Canadian (~750 GB pounds) for that setup. Maybe a little bit
more if you add a couple extras like floppy, keyboard, speakers, etc.
Still, even if you were to go for a pair of GeForce 7800GTX cards in
an SLI setup and a 20" LCD panel you shouldn't be spending much more
than 1500 pounds.

I agree that sounds like a ripoff price. I suggest the OP trots along to
someone like Mesh, Evesham, or even scan (3XS) and gets a comparable
quote. Or maybe they have a 30" TFT monitor in the mix?
(All those UK vendors can be found online. Google is your friend)/

And yes, I'd got for an XP4400+ or similar instead of the 3800+

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Old March 21st 06, 05:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 01:54:36 -0500, Tony Hill
wrote:

i know nothing of Athlon! hope it is worth the money! (£2350)

??? That seems like a LOT of money for what you have listed above!
Going from my local on-line retailer I came out to a cost of just over
$1500 Canadian (~750 GB pounds) for that setup. Maybe a little bit
more if you add a couple extras like floppy, keyboard, speakers, etc.
Still, even if you were to go for a pair of GeForce 7800GTX cards in
an SLI setup and a 20" LCD panel you shouldn't be spending much more
than 1500 pounds.

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca

To me, it looks quite like the OP was just trolling to start somebody
on the whole AMD vs. Intel thing.

NNN