Levono to Offer Choice: AMD or Intel

Old February 27th 06, 02:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Default Levono to Offer Choice: AMD or Intel

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:59:43 -0600, Del Cecchi wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message
T...
In article , a?n?g?e?
says...
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:14:19 -0500, Keith wrote:

The new R only beat my old T in battery life, processing power, USB
2.0 and the fact it will power up everytime I press the button :P

Longer battery life is goodness but I've rarely pushed mine. After
five
years, the batteries in the A21p were getting pretty weak (one was
down to
45minuts the other 1:15). That last "improvement" is rather
important. ;-)

lol, well, not if you never turn it off after you switched it on :P It
takes a few tries to it on, after which, I just put it to standby if
I'm not using it or moving around.

It wouldn't hybernate? I tend to use hybernate when I pack the
ThinkPad in its case to take it home. All my windows (other than
Exceed) hang around.

But if it is indeed a Lenovo direction, I think I'm probably pretty
much limited to the choice of a T-series in another two years time
with no other considerations.

I kinda like the displays on the 'X' series, but I've not seen one up
close.

They look kinda tiny to me and I rather not have to squint or be
forced to put the laptop close since I like my comfort while using it
at home.

Sorry, I meant the 'Z'. New models... ;-)

--
Keith

You are still using exceed? didn't that get kiboshed a while ago in
favor of vnc/vncserver?

Nope. We also use Citrix, but I like the more open nature of the windows
with exceed. The Citrix server is also more limited.

--
Keith
Old February 27th 06, 09:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:15:45 GMT,
(The little lost angel) wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:03:09 -0500, Keith wrote:

lol, well, not if you never turn it off after you switched it on :P It
takes a few tries to it on, after which, I just put it to standby if
I'm not using it or moving around.

It wouldn't hybernate? I tend to use hybernate when I pack the
ThinkPad in its case to take it home. All my windows (other than
Exceed) hang around.

It would, but coming back from hibernation requires several random
stabbings of the aforementioned petulant power button :P

Sorry, I meant the 'Z'. New models... ;-)

Don't really like the widescreen thing. Maybe it's good for viewing
movies but for work and school stuff, I tend to find I lack length
rather than breadth even on a normal screen. Maybe I'm just too used
to paper's portrait orientation.

What's really going to be bad is I just saw Lenovo having a vote on
Black vs Titanium. Almost 200,000 votes in and Titanium is winning.
I'm like OMG, WHY? I like the Thinkpad matt black, it's classy unique,
hard to dirty and looks strong to me. If I wanted a cheesy metallic
looking laptop that looks like it would break like cheap chromed
plastic, I would had bought a Fujitsu or Toshiba.

I guess that after years of tasteful and durable, people just want the
cheap, tacky look.:-) That cheap 70's Hi-Fi look is even showing up on car
dashes again - hate it.

Oh, and if anybody wants to vote: http://www.whichsideareyouon.com/

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old February 28th 06, 02:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:05:43 -0500, Keith wrote:

....snip...

I generally pay for deliver, even though I have a pickup (though I picked
up the dish washer from Sears). For $35ish the local stores will deliver
the new unit, put it in place, and cart packing materials and the old

$49.99+tx delivery and another 49.99+tx installation. Isn't it too
much for a $199 appliance? And the town collected the old one.

appliance away. There are a few local stores around that are very good,
so I deal with them, mostly. They usually get a delivery every Thursday
from Boston, so if I order it by Monday it's here the same week (the
refrigerator was a close call).

Our microwave was $650. ;-) It had to fit in the hole in the copper
range hood over the island and have an exhaust fan upward. SWMBO wanted a
convection oven too (useless).

GE in basic black for $199. If you really cook on the range over
which it is mounted, anything else, especially stainless, gets that
dirty, greasy look in no time. Black is more forgiving. And one more
thing - I wanted it to be the exact replacement of the old one that
got its door accidentally smashed. Old folks come to us daily to
babysit, and it would be a pain to teach them the new button location
and functionality(got this wish - GE didn't change the controls in 6
years). Also hoped to re-use old mounting bracket and holes in the
cabinet above (no luck - they changed the mounting so I had to drill
new holes in the wall for the bracket and in the cabinet, too). If
not for that, I could've picked a Magic Chef for $130 (model year end
sale or something like that) - same functionality, same wattage, just
different control configuration.

$650 for a microwave is beyond my comprehension. Is it gold-plated,
or encrusted with diamonds? I woud've rather picked a couple of
opty250 for that kind of money.

The store is organized in such a way that if you are going to
appliance section, you have to walk by either home theater section or
computers.

Aren't all the stores clones? ;-)

They have to fit the store into existing mall config.

Hmm, all the BBYs I've seen have the building built around the store.

Our area is so densely developed that they had to get whatever space
was available for rent. But since it is in the center of the mall,
they get good traffic.

NNN

Old February 28th 06, 03:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 02:39:14 +0000, wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:05:43 -0500, Keith wrote:

...snip...

I generally pay for deliver, even though I have a pickup (though I picked
up the dish washer from Sears). For $35ish the local stores will deliver
the new unit, put it in place, and cart packing materials and the old

$49.99+tx delivery and another 49.99+tx installation. Isn't it too
much for a $199 appliance? And the town collected the old one.

Crap! I've never bought a $199 appliance. Ok, the coffee maker was less
than that. ;-) Lessee; refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, and microwave in
five years (house's 15-year-itch) total about $4K. Installation? Crap!
They don't install anything. They put it it place. Even with the
dishwasher they wouldn't even connect the water for over $100, so I did it
all myself. OTOH the refrigerator was a PITA to move around (even though
I had to do the water thing there too).

appliance away. There are a few local stores around that are very good,
so I deal with them, mostly. They usually get a delivery every Thursday
from Boston, so if I order it by Monday it's here the same week (the
refrigerator was a close call).

Our microwave was $650. ;-) It had to fit in the hole in the copper
range hood over the island and have an exhaust fan upward. SWMBO wanted
a convection oven too (useless).

GE in basic black for $199. If you really cook on the range over which
it is mounted, anything else, especially stainless, gets that dirty,
greasy look in no time. Black is more forgiving.

Who said sainless? It's all black, except the refrigerator (almond
matte). Stainless sucks pond scum (and looks it). The range is a
glass-top though. It's not easy to keep spotless, but it's easy to cook
on.

And one more thing - I wanted it to be the exact replacement of the
old one that got its door accidentally smashed. Old folks come to us
daily to babysit, and it
would be a pain to teach them the new button location and
functionality(got this wish - GE didn't change the controls in 6 years).

Grin. No problems with sitters here (the brat is 27 and long gone).
Maybe for us soon...

Also hoped to re-use old mounting bracket and holes in the cabinet
above (no luck - they changed the mounting so I had to drill new holes
in the wall for the bracket and in the cabinet, too). If not for that,
I could've picked a Magic Chef for $130 (model year end sale or
something like that) - same functionality, same wattage, just different
control configuration.

Yeah, I had to change the whole superstructure above the island. What a
PITA and crinkled the custom copper hood in the process. :-(

$650 for a microwave is beyond my comprehension. Is it gold-plated, or
encrusted with diamonds? I woud've rather picked a couple of opty250 for
that kind of money.

Nope, just a Sharp convection microwave. Opterons weren't around five
years ago. Besides P-4s would do a better job today! ;-) No, the
microwave had to fit in the custom hood that has more copper in it than
Wisconsin.

The store is organized in such a way that if you are going to
appliance section, you have to walk by either home theater section
or computers.

Aren't all the stores clones? ;-)

They have to fit the store into existing mall config.

Hmm, all the BBYs I've seen have the building built around the store.

Our area is so densely developed that they had to get whatever space was
available for rent. But since it is in the center of the mall, they get
good traffic.

Never seen such a place. Good thing; I don't like *dense*, even if it's
only one person. ;-)

--
Keith

Old February 28th 06, 03:55 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

"Keith" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe I misunderstood... What do you use VNC for, exporting displays?
Collaboration? No, I use exceed to get to my (and many others) RS6000
from Windows. The displays on the laptop make the RS6000 look sick.

--
Keith
Old February 28th 06, 04:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:15:45 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:03:09 -0500, Keith wrote:

lol, well, not if you never turn it off after you switched it on :P It
takes a few tries to it on, after which, I just put it to standby if
I'm not using it or moving around.

It wouldn't hybernate? I tend to use hybernate when I pack the
ThinkPad in its case to take it home. All my windows (other than
Exceed) hang around.

It would, but coming back from hibernation requires several random
stabbings of the aforementioned petulant power button :P

Hybernate on lid closing? Wake up on open?

Sorry, I meant the 'Z'. New models... ;-)

Don't really like the widescreen thing. Maybe it's good for viewing
movies but for work and school stuff, I tend to find I lack length
rather than breadth even on a normal screen. Maybe I'm just too used
to paper's portrait orientation.

I like both. I often have 20-40 windows "open" (perhaps minimized) and my
important icons sit on the right side. I'm happy with 1024 vertical.

What's really going to be bad is I just saw Lenovo having a vote on
Black vs Titanium. Almost 200,000 votes in and Titanium is winning. I'm
like OMG, WHY? I like the Thinkpad matt black, it's classy unique, hard
to dirty and looks strong to me. If I wanted a cheesy metallic looking
laptop that looks like it would break like cheap chromed plastic, I
would had bought a Fujitsu or Toshiba.

You're not alone. I do remember people beating IBM up for boring laptops
though. IMO, boring is sometimes goodness. Boppin' into an interview
with matching pink iBook and iPod isn't really my style. Subtile has its
own reason.

--
Keith
Old February 28th 06, 04:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 04:47:24 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:15:45 GMT,
(The little lost angel) wrote:

[...]

Swirls in the dash? I though everyone was hooked on blue LEDs now.

--
Keith
Old February 28th 06, 11:14 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:04:03 -0500, Keith wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:15:45 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:03:09 -0500, Keith wrote:

lol, well, not if you never turn it off after you switched it on :P It
takes a few tries to it on, after which, I just put it to standby if
I'm not using it or moving around.

It wouldn't hybernate? I tend to use hybernate when I pack the
ThinkPad in its case to take it home. All my windows (other than
Exceed) hang around.

It would, but coming back from hibernation requires several random
stabbings of the aforementioned petulant power button :P

Hybernate on lid closing? Wake up on open?

Hmm, that doesn't give you problems with two different net connections and
a dock at the office? We had all kind of probs with that with an A20
series and the manual said "don't do that". I followed the "instructions".

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old February 28th 06, 11:14 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

(The little lost angel) wrote:

[...]

My eyes are bad enough without having to cope with blue lights.:-) I had
to umm, compromise with my new car last year (RSX-S) - really wanted the
motor/drivetrain, handling etc. but I'm having to "live" with the dash:
center-dash/knobs is dull chrome look and it's like a bleedin' carnival
show at night.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old February 28th 06, 01:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

In article , fammacd=!
says...
[...]

Any PM action drops all connections. Hibernate does cause other
problems when too many applications are open. Seems Gates' boys
lose track of everything that's going on and it refuses to
hibernate. The A21p didn't like to dock/undock (it wouldn't allow
an undock without a crowbar) unless it was completely shut down.
The T42p figures out the port replicator fairly well (even adjusts
for the presence/absence of the second monitor and wired/wireless
automatically).

--
Keith