Levono to Offer Choice: AMD or Intel

Old February 23rd 06, 08:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Default Levono to Offer Choice: AMD or Intel

http://www.reed-electronics.com/elec...icle/CA6310183

Old February 24th 06, 03:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

chrisv wrote:
http://www.reed-electronics.com/elec...icle/CA6310183

Cool, but still no AMD laptop models yet from them. Wonder if those are
just hard to get ahold of?

Yousuf Khan
Old February 24th 06, 10:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:08:46 -0600, chrisv
wrote:

http://www.reed-electronics.com/elec...icle/CA6310183

I will snap a Turion-based IBM-branded Thinkpad T(whatever number) as
soon as it comes out. Lenovo-branded? Remains to be seen if it has
the same build quality, look and feel as the T.

NNN
Old February 25th 06, 02:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

wrote:

http://www.reed-electronics.com/elec...icle/CA6310183

I will snap a Turion-based IBM-branded Thinkpad T(whatever number) as
soon as it comes out. Lenovo-branded? Remains to be seen if it has
the same build quality, look and feel as the T.

I just got a T42p in the last couple of months. It still says IBM on the
case. I'm looking at an 'X' series for personal use. An AMD would be
sweet.

--
Keith

Old February 25th 06, 02:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

wrote:

http://www.reed-electronics.com/elec...icle/CA6310183

I will snap a Turion-based IBM-branded Thinkpad T(whatever number) as
soon as it comes out. Lenovo-branded? Remains to be seen if it has
the same build quality, look and feel as the T.

I just got a T42p in the last couple of months. It still says IBM on the
case. I'm looking at an 'X' series for personal use. An AMD would be
sweet.

That's what I mean - even though everyone knows it is built by Lenovo,
it is still IBM-branded. If I understood the article correctly, they
want to introduce their own Lenovo-branded boxes stateside, in
addition to the ones they sell under IBM brand. I am afraid the
difference will be much more than IBM logo.

Ford sells both Volvo-branded cars and Volvo-derived (Ford 500, for
one) under their own brand. I will never trade my XC70 for a Ford,
even though Ford is larger, cheaper, has bigger engine (3.8 V6 vs. 2.5
L5) and even throws in some goodies not yet available in a Volvo, like
CVT. The same logic applies to IBM/Lenovo.

Next to the Thinkpad everything else, especially Dell, looks cheap,
flimsy and just not in the same league, even though the specs are
similar or even better. Been to Best Buy today shopping for a new
microwave, looked at the laptops there - the greatest from HPQ,
despite bigger displays and Turion logo, just didn't feel right,
though noticeably higher end stuff next to cheaper HPQ Centrino models
on display there. I wish Lenovo laptops were Thinkpads without IBM
logo, but just don't expect them to be even remotely resembling their
older brothers. I wish even more that Lenovo put AMD into Thinkpads,
just don't see it happening any time soon ;-(

NNN
Old February 25th 06, 04:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

wrote:

http://www.reed-electronics.com/elec...icle/CA6310183

I will snap a Turion-based IBM-branded Thinkpad T(whatever number) as
soon as it comes out. Lenovo-branded? Remains to be seen if it has
the same build quality, look and feel as the T.

I just got a T42p in the last couple of months. It still says IBM on the
case. I'm looking at an 'X' series for personal use. An AMD would be
sweet.

That's what I mean - even though everyone knows it is built by Lenovo,
it is still IBM-branded. If I understood the article correctly, they
want to introduce their own Lenovo-branded boxes stateside, in
addition to the ones they sell under IBM brand. I am afraid the
difference will be much more than IBM logo.

Maybe, but I don't think Lenovo would screw with its name at this point.
IIRC, they can use "Think*" and "IBM" for five years. In that time they'd
better move mindshare over to "Lenovo" or lose a golden opportunity.

Ford sells both Volvo-branded cars and Volvo-derived (Ford 500, for one)
under their own brand. I will never trade my XC70 for a Ford, even
though Ford is larger, cheaper, has bigger engine (3.8 V6 vs. 2.5 L5)
and even throws in some goodies not yet available in a Volvo, like CVT.
The same logic applies to IBM/Lenovo.

OTOH, I'd never own a Volvo or a Jaguar (but currently own a Ford and a
Mercury). ;-)

Next to the Thinkpad everything else, especially Dell, looks cheap,
flimsy and just not in the same league, even though the specs are
similar or even better.

I agree, with the possible exception of Macs, and I can't see Lenovo
screwing with this perception.

Been to Best Buy today shopping for a new
microwave, looked at the laptops there - the greatest from HPQ, despite
bigger displays and Turion logo, just didn't feel right, though
noticeably higher end stuff next to cheaper HPQ Centrino models on
display there. I wish Lenovo laptops were Thinkpads without IBM logo,
but just don't expect them to be even remotely resembling their older
brothers. I wish even more that Lenovo put AMD into Thinkpads, just
don't see it happening any time soon ;-(

You're talking about quality and shop at Best Buy?! boggle

If Lenovo doesn't continue appealing to the THinkPad market, they've
missed a huge opportunity, IMO. As you pointed out (above) FOrd didn't
drop Volvo after buying them out. OTOH, it seems Benz has learned too
much from Chrysler. ;-)

--
Keith
Old February 25th 06, 04:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 04:45:21 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 21:09:25 -0500, Keith wrote:

I will snap a Turion-based IBM-branded Thinkpad T(whatever number) as
soon as it comes out. Lenovo-branded? Remains to be seen if it has
the same build quality, look and feel as the T.

I just got a T42p in the last couple of months. It still says IBM on the
case. I'm looking at an 'X' series for personal use. An AMD would be
sweet.

I just got a Thinkpad R52 a few weeks back and it still says IBM too.
Although I'm kinda regretting it being an impulse buy and not saving
up more for a T model instead.

They wanted to replace my A21p with an 'R' series but I held out for the
'T'. Since it wasn't my money, it was an easy descision. ;-) Stepping
back from 1600x1200 display to 1024x768 wasn't going to happen.

My almost 3yr old T30 looks seems better than the new R in everyway,
including the built and looks. I was almost shocked speechless when I
attempted to swap out the Ultrabay drive for battery and discover what
looks like the Ultrabay isn't (the release button is there, the pull
tab/swap mechanism isn't). Or that I no longer have an IRDA port for
my handphone sync (the space is there but...). Or that apparently my
old T30 have better graphic processing power...

The new R only beat my old T in battery life, processing power, USB
2.0 and the fact it will power up everytime I press the button :P

Longer battery life is goodness but I've rarely pushed mine. After five
years, the batteries in the A21p were getting pretty weak (one was down to
45minuts the other 1:15). That last "improvement" is rather important. ;-)

I'm not sure if this strip out trend is due to Lenovo since my really
old A-series had better "functionality" in these sense. Maybe the R
series have always been like that. But I'm just spoilt by the fact
I've always only used either personal or company provided A or T
series.

The 'R' series is the entry model. They remind me a lot of the iSeries.
:-(

But if it is indeed a Lenovo direction, I think I'm probably pretty
much limited to the choice of a T-series in another two years time
with no other considerations.

I kinda like the displays on the 'X' series, but I've not seen one up
close.

Admittedly I got a great promotional offer on it so I guess I would just
live with it. :/

Kinda gotta now.

--
Keith
Old February 26th 06, 12:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

"Keith" wrote in message
news
[...]

;-)

I'm not sure if this strip out trend is due to Lenovo since my really
old A-series had better "functionality" in these sense. Maybe the R
series have always been like that. But I'm just spoilt by the fact
I've always only used either personal or company provided A or T
series.

The 'R' series is the entry model. They remind me a lot of the
iSeries.
:-(

This some other kind of iSeries or the one that used to be AS/400? If
the latter, them's fightin words.

Old February 26th 06, 03:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Keith wrote:
I just got a T42p in the last couple of months. It still says IBM on the
case. I'm looking at an 'X' series for personal use. An AMD would be
sweet.

I got a T42 recently too and I was surprised to see that it still showed
IBM on it. I thought it was just an old model left over or something,
but then I looked at the Microsoft Windows sticker on the bottom, and it
was registered to "Lenovo Singapore".

Yousuf Khan
Old February 26th 06, 03:21 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:05:35 -0500, Keith wrote:

Been to Best Buy today shopping for a new
microwave, looked at the laptops there - the greatest from HPQ, despite
bigger displays and Turion logo, just didn't feel right, though
noticeably higher end stuff next to cheaper HPQ Centrino models on
display there. I wish Lenovo laptops were Thinkpads without IBM logo,
but just don't expect them to be even remotely resembling their older
brothers. I wish even more that Lenovo put AMD into Thinkpads, just
don't see it happening any time soon ;-(

You're talking about quality and shop at Best Buy?! boggle

They are good enough for plain vanilla GE over-the-range microwave
The store is organized in such a way that if you are going to
appliance section, you have to walk by either home theater section or
computers.

NNN