Single-sided DIMMs

Old March 20th 06, 02:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc

Default Single-sided DIMMs

Are these readily available, because so far I've only been able to find
double-sided DIMMs.
From the dual channel perspective, single-sided DIMMs seem to be the way to
go, yet they appear scarce.

Comments?

Old March 20th 06, 10:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc DIMMs wrote:
Are these readily available, because so far I've only been able to find
double-sided DIMMs.
From the dual channel perspective, single-sided DIMMs seem to be the way to
go, yet they appear scarce.

Whatever gave you that idea? Historically that may have been the
case at one time or another but today?

Arno

Old March 20th 06, 10:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:56:14 +0800, "DIMMs" wrote:

Are these readily available, because so far I've only been able to find
double-sided DIMMs.
From the dual channel perspective, single-sided DIMMs seem to be the way to
go, yet they appear scarce.

Comments?

It was more important to get single sided with earlier AMD64 CPUs,
especially s939 and if you wanted to get 1T command rate. With more recent
CPUs, AFAIK, the memory controller has been improved and according to
tables in the docs, it's more tolerant of multiple ranks at full speed.

It may still be a better strategy to start with single sided if the
intention is to increase mamory capacity later... and they you can find
them: here's a Crucial part
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146541 which is
said to be .8T (that is the clue for Crucial DIMMs with Micron parts) but
the pic shows the suffix as .M8FD which I believe is with Samsung parts -
funny thing is that the 2nd pic shows .16FG so who knows?? The .8Ts I got
from NewEgg a while back were indeed .8Ts and work flawlessly at
3-3-3-8(1T). The "scoop" on Web Forums is that the Samsung parts Crucial
is using are not as good as the Micron ones and may only run at 2T.shrug

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old March 21st 06, 07:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc

Ref DIMMs. Does anybody know if "SIMMS" are still available
somewhere??? I have a device for my Commodore128 called Ram/Link
which uses non parity simms (4 megs storage per simm) and it has
2 of them so totals out to 8 megs of storage.
Joe

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
* Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) *
* Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR *

Old March 21st 06, 02:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Joseph Fenn wrote:
Ref DIMMs. Does anybody know if "SIMMS" are still available
somewhere??? I have a device for my Commodore128 called Ram/Link
which uses non parity simms (4 megs storage per simm) and it has
2 of them so totals out to 8 megs of storage.
Joe

Try Kingston. Expect to pay a lot.

Arno

Old March 22nd 06, 11:34 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:20:49 +0800, "DIMMs" wrote:

"George Macdonald" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:56:14 +0800, "DIMMs" wrote:

Are these readily available, because so far I've only been able to find
double-sided DIMMs.
From the dual channel perspective, single-sided DIMMs seem to be the way
[...]

Well I called the mobo representative in my country and he said my processor
indeed has a limitation of working well with only 4 banks of memory, so that
means I'll have to replace one of my two double-sided 512mb DIMMs with a 1gb
double-sided DIMM to upgrade from 1gb ram to 1.5gb. Typically, the manual
doesn't mention the limitation. Also, single-sided DIMMs cost a lot more
than double-sided ones so I figure might as well go for the 1gb double-sided
DIMM.

Was a that a mfr rep.? If you told us what processor and core version you
have and current config/speed, you might get a better answer here than from
a vendor.

First, if you have a dual channel setup with 2x512MB, one on each channel,
and you replace one of them with a 1GB DIMM, you will lose dual channel
operation, a bigger performance penalty than a speed drop from DDR400 to
DDR333. In a dual channel setup, more recent versions of the CPU are
spec'd to take 3 ranks of memory per channel without dropping to DDR333.
Even older versions of the CPU have been known to take the 3 ranks without
dropping speed with good quality memory, though you'd likely have to drop
the command rate to 2T.

I don't see a significant price premium for single-sided with 512Mb chips
vs. double sided with 256Mb chips here in the U.S but either way, if you
mix different spec/brand parts on the same system things could get err,
"interesting".

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old March 23rd 06, 01:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:11:03 -0800, Mark Whitlock wrote:

Ref DIMMs. Does anybody know if "SIMMS" are still available
somewhere??? I
Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*

Joe ,
Shame on you ,a hamfest is always the answer.

Good idea, where these things exist. I've trhown away *many* megabytes of
such antique crap. No one wanted it and it was in my face.

I'm guessing these are 30 pin SIMMs and not 72 pin.

At this size, I think you're right. Crucial has 32MB SIMMs (for big bux),
but they're 72 pin.

Also check if 3 chip are ok ,or if they have to be 8 chip.

Another good call! Likely the documentation to make this call no longer
exists.

--
Keith

Old March 23rd 06, 01:55 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Mark Whitlock wrote:

Ref DIMMs. Does anybody know if "SIMMS" are still available
somewhere??? I
Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*

Joe ,
Shame on you ,a hamfest is always the answer.
I'm guessing these are 30 pin SIMMs and not 72 pin.
Also check if 3 chip are ok ,or if they have to be 8 chip.
Mark Whitlock

I only know that the 1st simm has four chips on it and equals 4mb of
storage. The other simm has 8 chips on it, and equals 1 mb of
storage. So both simms are parity since both have equal nr
of chips on board.
(also am not ashamed at all)

Dont go to any hamfests here in Hawaii as they are few and far
between. These simms are for a device called "ramlink" and
used to store up to 16 megs of instant up on Commodore 128
computers.
Unashamed Joe

Old March 23rd 06, 03:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:55:18 -1000, Joseph Fenn wrote:

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Mark Whitlock wrote:

Ref DIMMs. Does anybody know if "SIMMS" are still available
somewhere??? I
Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*

Joe ,
Shame on you ,a hamfest is always the answer.
I'm guessing these are 30 pin SIMMs and not 72 pin.
Also check if 3 chip are ok ,or if they have to be 8 chip.
Mark Whitlock

I only know that the 1st simm has four chips on it and equals 4mb of
storage. The other simm has 8 chips on it, and equals 1 mb of
storage. So both simms are parity since both have equal nr
of chips on board.

Both simms are 8 bits wide - ie: *non-parity* type...

A8N-E - Can't use double-sided DDR400? bosco335 Asus Motherboards 4 May 13th 05 10:39 PM
single sided vs. double sided, how to tell? signmeuptoo Asus Motherboards 8 March 31st 05 06:50 AM
Single Sided 512MB DDR Wilf Brim AMD x86-64 Processors 11 March 12th 05 04:05 AM
A7V333 memory Roy Asus Motherboards 4 August 7th 04 02:15 PM
Problems mixing dual and single sided DIMMS ?? zack General 5 October 23rd 03 06:19 AM