SMART attribute failure- Maxtor HDD- What is it?

Old July 5th 03, 05:57 PM
BP

Default SMART attribute failure- Maxtor HDD- What is it?

I recently added a second (slave) drive to my system (DiamondMax Plus 8,
30G) and soon afterward statrted experiencing a boot delay problem
(InitDone=TSRQuery). I downloaded and ran Maxtor PowerMax diagnostic
software on the new drive and it returned a "Drive Installation" failure for
"SMART attribute check". I then ran the disk check utility (long) and
recieved an error code (E17S57), "this drive has failed one or more tests".
Maxtor does not reveal the meaning of 6 digit error codes on their site,
just ask you to fill out an RMA. Does anytone know whether this means the
HDD is NG, or is this a problem that can be corrected in BIOS setup or HDD
setup? What is a SMART attribute?

Old July 5th 03, 07:28 PM
Rod Speed

BP wrote in message

I recently added a second (slave) drive to my system (DiamondMax
Plus 8, 30G) and soon afterward statrted experiencing a boot delay
problem (InitDone=TSRQuery). I downloaded and ran Maxtor PowerMax
diagnostic software on the new drive and it returned a "Drive Installation"
failure for "SMART attribute check". I then ran the disk check utility (long)
and recieved an error code (E17S57), "this drive has failed one or more
tests". Maxtor does not reveal the meaning of 6 digit error codes on their
site, just ask you to fill out an RMA. Does anytone know whether this
means the HDD is NG,

Yep.

or is this a problem that can be corrected
in BIOS setup or HDD setup?

They wouldnt be suggesting an RMA if it was just a config problem.

What is a SMART attribute?

SMART is a system for monitoring the health of a hard drive
by keeping track of various parameters of hard performance.
Basically attempting to indicate when a drive has a problem
before it dies completely.

Run HDD Health or DTemp and see what it says about the drive.
It will turn the SMART attribute numbers into descriptive text.

Old July 6th 03, 01:01 PM
BP

Thanks for the confirmation of my fears. I've already downloaded and run
SMARTUDM and it flags 7 failures. Doesn't give any explainations. Perhaps I
will try the other progs, but at this point I've already wasted enough time
on this piece of hardware. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda gone WD. Now I get a
reconditioned drive replacement. Lovely.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
:
: BP wrote in message
: ...