harddisk position

Old July 4th 03, 08:37 AM
lallous

Default harddisk position

Hello,

Can someone tell me or point me to a tech. link where I can find an
answer to:

Is connecting and running the harddisk vertically healthy ?

I have unplugged my drive and plugged it into another PC just to share
some data, I placed it vertically and started to copy files.
After 20 minutes as I was copying, I got: "CRC errors"..I skipped this
problem.
Later when I plugged my HDD back, I noticed bad sectors and lots of
lost files had appeared.

Please advise,
Elias
Old July 4th 03, 03:46 PM
Tom J

"lallous" wrote in message
m...
Hello,

Can someone tell me or point me to a tech. link where I can find an
answer to:

Is connecting and running the harddisk vertically healthy ?

I have unplugged my drive and plugged it into another PC just to share
some data, I placed it vertically and started to copy files.
After 20 minutes as I was copying, I got: "CRC errors"..I skipped this
problem.
Later when I plugged my HDD back, I noticed bad sectors and lots of
lost files had appeared.

I'd say it's time to get another drive, because once it starts chewing up
sectors it just keeps spreading. My guess is the drive would have been fine
if left where it was. Turning it to the different angle disturbed some kind
of particles that were loose inside, so now it's chewing it's self up. I
don't even "store" my laptop in any position other than the way it's normally
run.

Tom J

Old July 4th 03, 04:42 PM
Eric Gisin

If a drive is not firmly attached you will have longer seeks and more seek
errors. Seek errors on write result in uncorrectable errors.

You can get rid of the bad sectors by wiping the drive, there is no permanent
damage.

m...

Old July 4th 03, 05:40 PM
CJT

Tom J wrote:

"lallous" wrote in message
[...]

The different cabling and mechanical vibration from not being
permanently mounted could have been more of a problem than position.

writing cd`s biggmark Cdr 7 December 31st 04 08:57 AM
HELP P4C800-E de luxe with 4 harddisk and NO RAID configuration André Keus Asus Motherboards 1 July 31st 04 05:04 PM
Getting an Enrty-Level Position Christopher Kurtis Koeber General 3 June 20th 04 02:26 AM
Getting an Entry-Level Position Christopher Kurtis Koeber General Hardware 1 June 10th 04 04:29 AM
Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM