Quiet Drives, Fast Drives - WD, Seagate, Samsung & Hitachi

Old July 4th 03, 01:56 PM
Li'l ol' me

"John Turco" wrote in message
om...
"Li'l ol' me" wrote in message

"John Smith" wrote in message
Hi,

Whilst I hear the WD 120GB Special Edition drives with 8MB Cache are

super
fast I also hear they are super noisy and prone to high pitched whine.

But, I hear some of the newer Seagates, although quiet, are lacking in
performance - 120GB SATA is not that hot so I have read - and people

are
beginning to talk about the Samsung drives as being super-quiet.

Anyone
have
any first hand info on this?

Also, I hear that the IBM/Hitachis are considered good now but, um,

after
hearing about those faulty IBMs a year or so back and the issues

people
had
with them I have drawn a mental line through buying them ever again.

Did
Hitachi over-come the IBM issues?

I had one of the dodgy 75GXP drives (a 45 gig) and IBM/Hitachi replaced

it
with a brand new 60gig 120GXP, even though mine was already 2 years into
it's warranty and they'd just started one year warranties (R.I.P. 3 year
warranties). So despite what someone else said about IBM warranties,
they're OK by me, especially compared to those cheating scumbags at

Maxtor
(but that's another story).

Thanks,

J.

Hello, "Li'l ol' me":

Please, don't leave us hanging, any longer! Tell us "another story"
about your sour experience(s), with Maxtor. :-P

Cordially,
John Turco

I've reported this in another thread, somewhere, but this is how it is.

I have a Maxtor drive that is dead. The front of the drive says something
like: Warranty ends: July 03. So I went to the site (in June) and tried to
RMA it. And this date comes up: Warranty expired 18/5/03. Er, Ok.

So I query this with Maxtor, who tell me the date on my drive is the
'general' warranty and their date is the 'individual' warranty. I explained
to them that if I bought some perishable food that was in date (on the
packet) and got food posioning from it, they couldn't turn round and say
that was only the 'general' use-by date and the 'individual' one was two
weeks ago! They weren't impressed.

Surely the 'individual' date is the one on the 'individual' drive. Is this
the worst example of a company trying to worm out of a warranty? I bet if
I'd tried to RMA it last year it wouldn't have said May 2003!

What a crock!

Old July 4th 03, 02:33 PM
Rita A. Berkowitz

Surely the 'individual' date is the one on the 'individual' drive. Is
this
the worst example of a company trying to worm out of a warranty? I bet if
I'd tried to RMA it last year it wouldn't have said May 2003!

What a crock!

That's why you should only buy and use Seagate drives, preferably SCSI.
Seagate doesn't play games, they will cross-ship the drive before you even
get yours out the door. Gotta love their service, I do.

Rita

Old July 4th 03, 04:28 PM
John Smith

Thanks all for your help and info people... I received a Zalman 7000 today,
have just installed it in my Asus P4P800 Deluxe and, wow, that awful
annoying high pitch whine of the Intel fan has gone but...

I also changed my WD 120GB with 2MB cache for the Seagate VII with 8MB
cache, drive imaged one drive from the other, and the Seagate is both
noticeably faster and, more importantly, quiet. There was a definite
electrical whine with the WD.

All I can hear now is a gentle light humming coming from, I assume, a
mixture of my Sonata PSU fan, Sonata case fan and the Zalman 7000.

Wow - I think I can begin to use my PC more productively now... Now, how
about a nice flat panel to reduce these awful CRT headaches.... :-)))

Thanks again for the HD advice,

J.

Old July 8th 03, 02:55 PM
Danzig Glenn

"John Smith" wrote in message

I also changed my WD 120GB with 2MB cache for the Seagate VII with 8MB
cache, drive imaged one drive from the other, and the Seagate is both
noticeably faster and, more importantly, quiet. There was a definite
electrical whine with the WD.

I think that if you have bought (it's right in english?sorry..) a WD
with 8mb of cache(like the saegate) it was more faster than any saegate

but for queit win the saegate

For the monitor ...i'm searching too for a good 17 lcd

if you haven't any particular request like high fidelity image and both
good time of responde by pixel the choose can be easy

else it's a trouble (like my case:/ )

Greetings!