Cleaning pins on UK mains plugs

Old April 27th 04, 12:45 PM
Black Shuck

Piotr Makley wrote:

I am in the UK and was wondering if there was any merit in cleaning
the brass pins of my three-pin mains plugs.

In many cases the pins look tarnished and I must have had some of
these plugs for 10 or 20 years.

The plugs all seem to work well and they do not heat up. But I
thought it would be good practise to sandpaper the pins so they
were shiny.

Am I wasting my time?

Is this for real????
Old April 27th 04, 01:31 PM
Mr Blue Skye

"Black Shuck" wrote in message
Piotr Makley wrote:

I am in the UK and was wondering if there was any merit in cleaning
the brass pins of my three-pin mains plugs.

In many cases the pins look tarnished and I must have had some of
these plugs for 10 or 20 years.

The plugs all seem to work well and they do not heat up. But I
thought it would be good practise to sandpaper the pins so they
were shiny.

Am I wasting my time?

I recommend sending them all away for a thorough glass bead shotblasting,
this will remove any residual surface oxide and then quickly (before they
can oxidize over again. est .273 milliseconds) to the Electroplaters for
zinc passivation. If the distance from the shotblasters to the
electroplaters takes more than .273 milliseconds to traverse, you could try
immersing them in Boric acid for the journey.

Old April 27th 04, 03:45 PM
AT

Am I wasting my time?

You're looking in the wrong place. Think of all the other connections you're
not servicing, like the VGA, USB, KB, mouse, memory and CPU sockets.

I'd look into bumping up the gold plating on all these if I were you..

Old April 27th 04, 04:22 PM

In alt.engineering.electrical Mr Blue Skye wrote:

| "Black Shuck" wrote in message
| Piotr Makley wrote:
|
| I am in the UK and was wondering if there was any merit in cleaning
| the brass pins of my three-pin mains plugs.
|
| In many cases the pins look tarnished and I must have had some of
| these plugs for 10 or 20 years.
|
| The plugs all seem to work well and they do not heat up. But I
| thought it would be good practise to sandpaper the pins so they
| were shiny.
|
| Am I wasting my time?
|
| I recommend sending them all away for a thorough glass bead shotblasting,
| this will remove any residual surface oxide and then quickly (before they
| can oxidize over again. est .273 milliseconds) to the Electroplaters for
| zinc passivation. If the distance from the shotblasters to the
| electroplaters takes more than .273 milliseconds to traverse, you could try
| immersing them in Boric acid for the journey.

Why not just do it all in a perfect vacuum?

Old April 27th 04, 05:28 PM
No Spam

snip

Why not just do it all in a perfect vacuum?

Because that would royally suck! :-)

Old April 27th 04, 06:55 PM
Stuffed

wrote:

| I recommend sending them all away for a thorough glass bead

shotblasting,
| this will remove any residual surface oxide and then quickly (before

they
| can oxidize over again. est .273 milliseconds) to the Electroplaters for
| zinc passivation. If the distance from the shotblasters to the
| electroplaters takes more than .273 milliseconds to traverse, you could

try
| immersing them in Boric acid for the journey.

Why not just do it all in a perfect vacuum?

Surely just doing it in pure CO2 would be as good, without having to worry
about sealing the room?

Old April 27th 04, 07:01 PM
Tim Auton

Piotr Makley wrote:

I am in the UK and was wondering if there was any merit in cleaning
the brass pins of my three-pin mains plugs.

I'm most unimpressed by the answers Piotr has received to his
question. Perhaps the answer seems obvious to most of us, but that's
no reason for 95% of replies to be poking fun at him.

Tim
--
Love is a travelator.

Old April 27th 04, 07:47 PM
Dr Teeth

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:18:44 +0100, Piotr Makley
wrote:

Am I wasting my time?

Yes, 110%.

Cheers,

Guy

** I may not be perfect, but I'm
** English, and that's the next best thing!
Old April 27th 04, 07:49 PM
Dr Teeth

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:05:14 +0100, Malev wrote:

Under the terms of The Clean Pins Act 2003, you are legally obliged to ensure
that all 3 pins are exempt of any deposit whatsoever and shine to BS 6907
specifications.

Surely, EU regulations take precedence?