[UK] Evesham Technology slapped on wrist by ASA for spamming

Old January 28th 04, 10:48 AM
chrisgreville

"Barry Dorrans" wrote in message
t.net...
As an aside I've pointed Mike Magee from theinquirer to this thread. As
he so kindly rediculed Evesham for their inital spam, pointed the finger
at gxn for list washing (remember people, cull your address from
complaints send to gxn) and laughed at the ASA wrist slapping lets hope
he can get his big journalist stick out again.

Hi Mike

I wonder how soon GXN will be back here with the usual "we didn't know, we
are strongly anti-spam ......." crap that they spouted last time.

Chris Greville

Old January 28th 04, 10:52 AM
Rob Parry

"Barry Dorrans" wrote in message
t.net...
As an aside I've pointed Mike Magee from theinquirer to this thread. As
he so kindly rediculed Evesham for their inital spam, pointed the finger
at gxn for list washing (remember people, cull your address from
complaints send to gxn) and laughed at the ASA wrist slapping lets hope
he can get his big journalist stick out again.

Hi Mike

theinquirer and big journalism seem to be a something of a paradox. Visit
theinquirer's website and you also get umpteen ads rammed down your throat.
I think Mike Magee would be rediculing [sic] someone else if Evesham handed
over some cash for a click-thru ad.

Rob

Old January 28th 04, 10:56 AM
Karsten M. Self

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 01:39 am, Barry Dorrans wrote:

As an aside I've pointed Mike Magee from theinquirer to this thread. As
he so kindly rediculed Evesham for their inital spam, pointed the finger
at gxn for list washing (remember people, cull your address from
complaints send to gxn) and laughed at the ASA wrist slapping lets hope
he can get his big journalist stick out again.

Hi Mike

Pity about his business card being mis-printed and all....

Bottoms up, Mike ;-)

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I
Old January 28th 04, 11:03 AM
Barry Dorrans

Rob Parry rob@keinspam. rootle-punkt-org wrote:

theinquirer and big journalism seem to be a something of a paradox.
Visit theinquirer's website and you also get umpteen ads rammed down
your throat. I think Mike Magee would be rediculing [sic] someone
else if Evesham handed over some cash for a click-thru ad.

No worse that theregister who never print corrections. Or slashdot these
days.

Of course for a small fee you never see theinquirer's ads

Old January 28th 04, 11:06 AM
Edwin Petree

Anthony Edwards wrote in
:

[snip]

If the ASA wish to receive complaints concerning
unsolicited email advertising

What on earth gives you the idea that the ASA wish to receive complaints
about unsolicited email advertising?

Old January 28th 04, 11:10 AM

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:55:03 -0000, Anthony Edwards
wrote:

The correct place for UK residents to complain to in respect of
Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003
contraventions is the Information Commissioner's Office. However,
in that instance, there does not appear to be an electronic complaint
submission mechanism at all.

Anthony,

You may have missed some of the other (NANAE[1] only) posts. I, and
others, have been sending e-mail complaints to the main Information
Commissioner's Office address - .

Request that the message be passed on to the department handling
complaints. Include all the information requested by their
snail-mail form. This has resulted in complaints being processed by a
Compliance Officer.

The actual enforcement outcome however was another matter :-(

Cheers,
Barry.

[1] news.admin.net-abuse.email for those who are interested.

Old January 28th 04, 11:12 AM
Barry Dorrans

Edwin Petree wrote:
Anthony Edwards wrote in
:

[snip]

If the ASA wish to receive complaints concerning
unsolicited email advertising

What on earth gives you the idea that the ASA wish to receive
complaints about unsolicited email advertising?

Because it's part of their remit. Unsolicitied email is prohibited
according to their guidelines.

Of course a limp slap on the wrist isn't useful.

Old January 28th 04, 11:18 AM
Edwin Petree

"chrisgreville" wrote in
:

"Barry Dorrans" wrote in message
t.net...
As an aside I've pointed Mike Magee from theinquirer to this thread.
As he so kindly rediculed Evesham for their inital spam, pointed the
finger at gxn for list washing (remember people, cull your address
from complaints send to gxn) and laughed at the ASA wrist slapping
lets hope he can get his big journalist stick out again.

I wonder how soon GXN will be back here with the usual "we didn't
know, we are strongly anti-spam ......." crap that they spouted last
time.

GXN are a member of LINX, and LINX have told parliament that there is no
such thing as a pink contract in the UK.

Various people, who I trust and respect[1], have told me that the important
thing is that the abuse stops. It isn't about dramatic gestures
(terminating Evesham's contract) but about working with Evesham to stop
them spamming.

I'd be curious to find out if there is anyone who thinks that Evesham have
not gone too far. Evesham know they have a poisoned list. Evesham and GXN
are vigorously list-washing. Their last email, "do nothing and we'll spam
you forever" was not acceptable. Their last email *should* have been "do
nothing and we'll stop spamming you; plus see this web page for our
grovelling apology".

How long can Evesham continue to spam until LINX accept that they have a
pink contract with GXN, and that GXN are not white hat.
Old January 28th 04, 11:34 AM
Barry Dorrans

Edwin Petree wrote:
GXN are a member of LINX, and LINX have told parliament that there is
no such thing as a pink contract in the UK.

Well I'd guess the contract was printed on white paper, so no-one lied.

Various people, who I trust and respect[1], have told me that the
important thing is that the abuse stops. It isn't about dramatic
gestures (terminating Evesham's contract) but about working with
Evesham to stop them spamming.

Ah yes, that worked well last time, when we had a gxn rep here foaming
at the mouth.

I'd be curious to find out if there is anyone who thinks that Evesham
have not gone too far. Evesham know they have a poisoned list.
Evesham and GXN are vigorously list-washing.

Yup, I have proof of list washing, this despite the fact that email
addresses are considered personal information by the DPA/IC GXN passed
my details on, using the excuse of "We thought you just wanted off the
list". So using complaint and spam in an email to abuse@ reads like
that?

How long can Evesham continue to spam until LINX accept that they
have a pink contract with GXN, and that GXN are not white hat.

I'd suggest a long time. Is there any evidence of Linx leaning on anyone
ever?