Are Computer Fairs all crap?

Old September 28th 03, 08:06 PM
Alec

Default Are Computer Fairs all crap?

For the first time in 10 years I've gone to a computer fair at a local
hotel. Had to pay £2.50 just to get in. I was pretty underwhelmed by what I
saw.
Stalls selling copied software (illegal surely?), secondhand parts wrenched
from old PCs and Macs, under-spec PCs with flashing coloured lights and
various bits and pieces, mainly OEM or 'no name' parts. Prices were
consistently higher than what I could get at retail counters or mail order,
and yet people were happy to pay £10 for the same network card I'd just
bought mail order for £3.
Are all computer fairs like this? I heard one trader say to a hesitant
customer, 'You pay double this at PC World.' Who are they kidding?

Alec

Old September 28th 03, 08:20 PM
Tinklemagoo

I agree I have been to 5 CF and all the same junk/OEM/dodgy motherboards
sold as seen and boxes of cables/cards well out of date/spec.

And if you buy anything expensive and it turns out to be dud/faulty HTH can
you trace the seller?

Online retailer Ebuyer prices usually lower than almost anything I have seen
at Computer Fairs.

Old September 28th 03, 08:21 PM
tHatDudeUK

"Alec" wrote in message
. ..

They're there to make money, ie. sell DVD-R's you can get from SVP for 39p
each for £2 telling you to look how much they cost in Dixons and HMV etc...

I guess some are better than others though and others may be able to direct
you to the best fairs.

Old September 28th 03, 09:41 PM
Tony Sutton

"Alec" wrote in message
. ..
For the first time in 10 years I've gone to a computer fair at a local
hotel. Had to pay £2.50 just to get in. I was pretty underwhelmed by what

saw.

Agreed, same here (Norwich)

In the old days, they used to be good and cheap.

Now, not anymore and I have stopped going. Not worth going there again.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old September 28th 03, 10:23 PM
Martin Alderson

Tony Sutton wrote:
"Alec" wrote in message
. ..

For the first time in 10 years I've gone to a computer fair at a local
hotel. Had to pay £2.50 just to get in. I was pretty underwhelmed by what

saw.

Agreed, same here (Norwich)

In the old days, they used to be good and cheap.

Now, not anymore and I have stopped going. Not worth going there again.

Agreed - they are way too busy too. Traders usually treat you like ****
aswell.

Old September 28th 03, 10:26 PM
Peter Taylor

"Alec" wrote in message
. ..
For the first time in 10 years I've gone to a computer fair at a local
hotel. Had to pay £2.50 just to get in. I was pretty underwhelmed by what

saw.
Stalls selling copied software (illegal surely?), secondhand parts

wrenched
from old PCs and Macs, under-spec PCs with flashing coloured lights and
various bits and pieces, mainly OEM or 'no name' parts. Prices were
consistently higher than what I could get at retail counters or mail

order,
and yet people were happy to pay £10 for the same network card I'd just
bought mail order for £3.
Are all computer fairs like this? I heard one trader say to a hesitant
customer, 'You pay double this at PC World.' Who are they kidding?

Alec

The 2 fairs I have attended, sound just like the one you have just been to.
Crap!

You get crap sellers and "know ALL" customers bragging how they have flashed
a BIOS.

Old September 28th 03, 10:31 PM
Peter Taylor

"Tinklemagoo" wrote in message
I agree I have been to 5 CF and all the same junk/OEM/dodgy motherboards
sold as seen and boxes of cables/cards well out of date/spec.

And if you buy anything expensive and it turns out to be dud/faulty HTH

can
you trace the seller?

Online retailer Ebuyer prices usually lower than almost anything I have

seen
at Computer Fairs.

Online retailer Ebuyer prices usually lower than almost anything I have

seen at Computer Fairs.

I know people have strong feelings on ebuyer, but has anyone tried
www.easyetrader.com I have and I have found their prices good. On the down
side, they are based in Sheffield, so if ebuyer ever sack anyone, they could
end up........................................... (better not suggest that)

Old September 28th 03, 11:49 PM

In message , Tony Sutton
writes
"Alec" wrote in message
For the first time in 10 years I've gone to a computer fair at a local
hotel. Had to pay £2.50 just to get in. I was pretty underwhelmed by what

saw.

Agreed, same here (Norwich)

In the old days, they used to be good and cheap.

Now, not anymore and I have stopped going. Not worth going there again.

Same here just down the road from you Tony (Lowestoft)
went to local computer fair at the sports centre paid to go in and all
they had was about 7 overpriced stalls, and no blank cds which i was
originally after.
i was in and out within 5 minutes.
Anyone remember the old computer fairs they used to have at wembly /
alexandra palace back in the days of the amiga???
Now they was impressive computer fairs, i remember one year at wembly
they had 2 halls full of stalls ect , hours and hours was spent
wandering around the stalls
those was the days
--
Ray Higgins
Old September 29th 03, 07:34 AM

I've stopped going to my local fair unless it's for ink or CD's

Recently I noticed that several stalls were selling e-buyer stuff at
inflated prices. Things likes fans, etc, because I had bought them only
recently myself. I saw a 'Media Port' at one stall which you can get from
e-buyer for 12 quid, they were charging 20 !!

Might as well cut out the middle man and go straight to e-buyer.

Old September 29th 03, 08:09 AM
Tinklemagoo

I know people have strong feelings on ebuyer, but has anyone tried
www.easyetrader.com .

Had a look at Easytrader site they have tiny catalogue compared to Ebuyer
and prices are appear more expensive.