Mustek 1200 III EP undetectable in any image program

Old January 7th 05, 09:22 AM
Raymond A. Chamberlin

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:00:41 GMT, Ken wrote:

Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:53:26 GMT, Ken wrote:

I did a lot of clipping of old text.

What I mean is even if NO software was loaded the lamp would come on.
Once the software is loaded for the control of the lamp, it should turn
off and on the lamp if you follow the procedure I described using WATCH.EXE.

Well, in its present condition, the lamp stays on no matter what.
When the scanner was working right, the light was always ON as long as
power was applied to the scanner. However, I never tried, at that
time, to see what would happen if I double-clicked Watch.exe.

The reason it stays on presently, is the scanner is not recognized and
therefore the software (watch.exe) is unable to control the lamp. Since
the lamp will come one even if the scanner is not connected to the
computer, it will always be on. Remember, to make the lamp go OFF once
the icon exists in the lower right corner of your screen, you must do
the "Right click on it and choose EXIT, YES" routine. It is NOT working
that way now because the software is unable to see the scanner. The
software is loaded by virtue of the icon being present, and there not
having been an error message saying that a file could not be found
during the loading of that program.

Well, an email request to Mostek USA (automatically, I guess) got me
instructions on exactly how to pull all the twains and twunks and
reinstall new ones. Apparently I didn't have to uninstall the image
program bundled with the scanner, as I did before. The only
significant difference I could see between what these instructions
said and what I did before to remove this stuff (I still don't
understand whether their term 'scanner driver' refers to all these
twains and twunks or something else.) was that I didn't disable my
virus auto-protect program. Their instructions included getting a
different "driver" from their Website, which I did -- '123ep22.exe',
which came out in 1999. The one on my CD, that I used before, is
'd12epe22.exe'. Which one do you use? So I installed this newer
"driver". I note that it leaves out the 'Twain' folder, only
installing the 'Twain32' folder into the Windows folder. Isn't the
'Twain' folder just for 16=bit-word machines anyhow?

So, OK, now I don't get a flag saying it can't detect the scanner, but
I still get one that says it can't find 'twain.dll' in the Windows
folder, although this file IS in the Windows folder. So I guess I'll
uninstall that driver collection and reinstall the d12epe22 one per
their instructions and see if that works.

We can certainly forget all this discussion about when the scanner
lamp should be ON though. At present, when it DOESN'T say it can't
find the scanner, that light still does NOT go on and off with the
tray icon; it's ALWAYS ON. If it does in your case, it must be that
units having some ranges of serial
do that, while others don't.

The power input at the scanner's main board measures 15 v.

That is correct for the wall wart.

Other reasons could be corrupted software, bad parallel port or cable

from the port, or defective logic in the scanner.

I located two components on the main board that appeared to be power
regulators. I don't know their pinouts, but the only pins that
measured significant voltages other than 15 v showed 3 and 12 v,
respectively.

One of the outside pins (the left one if I recall correctly, but don't
hold me to this) should be the input voltage. In this case, 15v. The
center pin is Ground. The right terminal is the output voltage, 12v.
You might not be placing your common lead of your DVM to true ground
when you measured the center terminal. Sometimes these circuits do not
use the same ground as your computer uses.

The other regulator should work the same way, but the output should be
+5v. (I think) The marking on the regulators should read something
like 9805 and 9812 indicating the +5 and +12 volt output.

I don't think there's any problem there. I measured with respect to
the INPUT power-cable ground. I measured the +12 and +3 on different
pins relative to the same physical start of pin count. The other
non-15-v pins on the two regulators had very low voltages. There are
no markings on the regulators.

See above.

If I were to guess, (and I don't care much for guessing) that is what I
would guess. For what it is worth, you could open up the scanner and
see if you can reach the two regulators. A simple DVM should allow you
to measure their output as they are both three terminal through-hole
components if my memory serves me.

See above.

I agree however, that you are more
likely to find software or the port to be the problem.

Now this would seem to indicate that the software loaded properly
and that all the files necessary were OK.

How would that assure that ALL the files were loaded properly?

If the software were NOT loaded properly, there should have been an
error message saying that a file was not found or could not load.
Nothing is 100%, but that would be the case most of the time.

Whatever. Software types have no constraints. It's all
seat-of-the-pants. It's all chaos to me.

This is probably due to the fact it cannot see the scanner. It should
have gone out if everything was working.

It stayed on.

Since you do not want to test the parallel port (and I understand why),
removing ALL the software and reloading it is about all you can do.
Remember to delete the directories created by the current installation
so that no file such as the initialization files remain.

This is a little surprising in that I would have thought there would
have been no scanner listed there. Who knows, it might be placed there
even if it was not detected?

That portion of my file reads:

[Watch]
Model=A4S2600_Watch
LampStatus=0
ActiveTime=4923599
GreenTime=20
CoverDriven=1
Timer3=500
ShowStartup=1
HasIcon=1
HasCoverDriven=1
HasStartup=1
HasMustUI=1

[CaseInfo]
SettingSectionName=1200 III EP
DSSectionName=A4S2INFO_600
NewSetting=1
UsePrivateSettingFile=1

This file, in my case, now reads the same as before, except for a
different value of 'ActiveTime'.

Is that a correct setup? If I set 'LamStatus' to '0' and save that,
the lamp still stays on. I have no idea what the other three settings
relate to.

That does not appear to be a complete setting as compared to mine.

Well, I have no idea how to get there from here. But I guess that
would indicate the problem is not hardware in the scanner. I don't
find any file by that name (with or without its extension) on the CD
for my scanner. Is it somehow generated during installation?

The text I posted is NOT a new file, but part of the one you posted.
mtwm.ini

I'm aware of that.

I would think much of that segment is not in your file of the
same name due to the scanner not being detected. I simply pasted it to
show you more was needed in that file besides the segment you cited.

OK.

Listed below is another significant portion of that file. Notice the
LPT1 setting. My guess you have no such setting?

Where, in my case? As I mentioned, in my case, my BIOS is set to
"Bidirectional", not EPP.

If your setting in CMOS is bidirectional, that should be FINE.
Different computers have different settings and verbiage. It is just
important that it is able to communicate both ways, and either EPP, ECP
or Bidirectional will do that.

[A4S2INFO_600]
Language=English
DSLanguage=English
Brand=Mustek
DSName=1200 III EP
UITitle="Mustek 1200 III EP "
ScanSetting=NMLSPD
Version=V1.0
DriverVer=2.02
F/WVersion=None
Interface=EPP/LPT1
TestMode=0
MemBufSize=256
PreScanDpi=36
PreScanWidth=306
PreScanHeight=414
TAPreScanWidth=216
TAPreScanHeight=252
PreScanFile=MSTC0000.BMP
TAPreScanFile=MSTC0001.BMP
X_OptiMaxRes=600
Y_OptiMaxRes=1200
WtimeTick=60
Bbricon=0
BcolorMatch=0
CMTable=A32PCM.INI
SupportResCount=13
SupportRes=72 100 150 200 300 400 600 900 1200 2400 4800 7200 9600
SupportCustomRes=0
CustomRes=72 9600
ResetRes=300
ResetResIndex=4
TextMaxRes=600
TextMaxResIndex=6
SlideInstall=1
MaxBufSize=672768

When I was working as a technician years ago, we used to say we were
about to call in an Indian to dance with feathers and beads when we
could not figure out the solution. Needless to say we did not do that,
but it is a little frustrating to have tried many things and still not
have succeeded. Rest assured, that the answer is there. You just need
to ask the correct question after having eliminated other potential
problems. It is NOT magic!! Look at it as a challenge.

I'm not really into challenges anymore. I suppose Mustek, either US
or Taiwan, would really laugh if I asked them how to make one of their
scanners bought in 1998 work. ;-) I couldn't find any answers to my
problem on the Web anywhere.

Hell, they would laugh at you right after you bought the scanner. All
they wanted to do with me is sell me a scanner. Two of the shipments
arrived broken and I had one hell of a time getting it straightened out.
There is NO WAY they will help you with this scanner.

They (SoCal, USA) did once when my lamp burnt out and I wanted to know
why it had to stay on all the time. Also, once when I downloaded and
installed something that indicated it was for this model but wasn't.
Maybe it was this very 1999 driver that isn't working for me.

Incidentally, after Murphy got loose once and a bottle fell off a
shelf above this scanner and broke its glass, I had the glass replaced
at a glass shop, but the double-sided tape that held it didn't work
very well thereafter, particularly when I would place a heavy book
over the copy in order to keep it flat (the carriage even would hang
up); so I improved that flaky method of securing the glass with four
screwed-down metal clips. That totally did the job. I wonder if they
still use sticky tape for this purpose in Taiwan.

Ray

I sort of enjoy challenges, since I am retired and have time for them.
Even when I was a tech, I always viewed a problem as a puzzle. It was
like a game, in that the problem was hiding and my job was to find it.
True, there is frustration along the way, but it is also rewarding when
you succeed. You also become a LITTLE smarter in the process.

Well, I got spoilt by playing design engineer. That was interesting;
trying to figure out why somebody ELSE designed something some
cockamany way never was fun for me. And software is pretty much
however you can hack it out, and it was far too serial for my mind,
even then -- and less memory-recording capability at present makes it
worse. I needed to get in from the side of designs and tweak them a
little (my stack was never that deep, for arbitrary stuff).
Collecting the results of fixing all that arbitrary stuff isn't my
idea of "smart"ness.

If I were you, I would first go back to your measurements of the
voltage regulators making sure of their values with respect to the
scanner ground. A good place to pick up ground would be on one of the
electrolytic's negative lead.

Maybe I'll check that AFTER I try the original driver again, loaded
exactly as per Mustek's instructions.

If they measured properly, I would assume
your scanner was OK. Next since it doesn't sound like you will test the
parallel port, I would COMPLETELY remove the software and load it again
making sure the scanner is powered up while doing so. Be sure to delete
the directories created by the current load of the software, because
removal of software sometimes keeps files such as INI files. That might
screw up your next installation.

Finally, I saw your pasting of the install log in another message, but
the install log is probably of little value and hard to decipher. Try
the re-installation of the software as mentioned above.

Herebelow is what is presently in several files:

Ray

In Twain.log:

************

TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::AppInitialize - Reset Log

TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::OpenServer - Starting Thunker

TWUNK_16.EXE - MESSAGE - Twunk --WinMain - Posting Startup Complete
To Twain
TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::OpenServer - Received Startup
Complete From Thunker

TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::CloseServer - Posting Close To
Thunker

TWUNK_16.EXE - MESSAGE - Twunk --WinMain - Posting Shutdown Complete
To Twain
TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::CloseServer - Received Shutdown
Complete From Thunker

************

In mtwm.ini:

************

[Scanner]
TwainDS=scanobj.ds
ScanDll=scanobj.dll
DevDll=spicall.dll
FilterDLL=filter.dll
UIProg=ui.exe

[CaseInfo]
SettingSectionName=1200 III EP
DSSectionName=A4S2INFO_600
NewSetting=1
UsePrivateSettingFile=1

[A4S2INFO_600]
Language=English
DSLanguage=English
Brand=Mustek
DSName=1200 III EP
UITitle="Mustek 1200 III EP "
ScanSetting=NMLSPD
Version=2.2
DriverVer=2.2
F/WVersion=NONE
Interface=EPP/LPT2
TestMode=0
MemBufSize=256
PreScanDpi=36
PreScanWidth=306
PreScanHeight=414
TAPreScanWidth=216
TAPreScanHeight=252
PreScanFile=MSTC0000.BMP
TAPreScanFile=MSTC0001.BMP
X_OptiMaxRes=600
Y_OptiMaxRes=1200
WtimeTick=0
Bbricon=0
BcolorMatch=0
CMTable=A32PCM.INI
SupportResCount=13
SupportRes=72 100 150 200 300 400 600 900 1200 2400 4800 7200 9600
SupportCustomRes=0
CustomRes=72 9600
ResetRes=300
ResetResIndex=4
TextMaxRes=600
TextMaxResIndex=6
SlideInstall=1

[Watch]
Model=A4S2600_Watch
LampStatus=1
ActiveTime=433625
GreenTime=20
CoverDriven=1
Timer3=500
ShowStartup=1
HasIcon=1
HasCoverDriven=1
HasStartup=1
HasMustUI=1

[EasyScan]
Model=1200 III EP
Package=cover sensor
Ver=2.2
Help=C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\A4ui1

[Scanning Desktop]
Path=C:\MSCAN\Msoffice

[SupportSize]
Count=3
TACount=4
ResetPaperIndex=0
PaperName=A4 A5 Letter
TAPaperName=35x40mm 60x60mm 60x70mm 101x127mm
A4=826 1150
A5=582 826
Letter=850 1100
35x40mm=157 137
60x60mm=236 236
60x70mm=275 236
101x127mm=500 397

[English]
A4=A4
A5=A5
Letter=Letter
35x40mm=35x40mm
60x60mm=60x60mm
60x70mm=60x70mm
101x127mm=101x127mm

[German]
A4=DIN A4
A5=DIN A5
Letter=US-Letter
35x40mm=35x40mm
60x60mm=60x60mm
60x70mm=60x70mm
101x127mm=101x127mm

[French]
A4=A*4
A5=A5
Letter=Lettre US
35x40mm=35x40mm
60x60mm=60x60mm
60x70mm=60x70mm
101x127mm=101x127mm

[Italian]
A4=A4
A5=A5
Letter=Lettera
35x40mm=35x40mm
60x60mm=60x60mm
60x70mm=60x70mm
101x127mm=101x127mm

[Spanish]
A4=A4
A5=A5
Letter=Carta
35x40mm=35x40mm
60x60mm=60x60mm
60x70mm=60x70mm
101x127mm=101x127mm

[Dutch]
A4=A4
A5=A5
Letter=Letter
35x40mm=35x40mm
60x60mm=60x60mm
60x70mm=60x70mm
101x127mm=101x127mm

[Russian]
A4=A4
A5=A5
Letter=ðÉÓØÍÏ
35x40mm=35x40mm
60x60mm=60x60mm
60x70mm=60x70mm
101x127mm=101x127mm

[Chinese]
A4=A4
A5=A5
Letter=Letter
35x40mm=35x40mm
60x60mm=60x60mm
60x70mm=60x70mm
101x127mm=101x127mm

[Japanese]
A4=A4
A5=A5
Letter=ƒŒƒ^?[
35x40mm=35x40mm
60x60mm=60x60mm
60x70mm=60x70mm
101x127mm=101x127mm

[Simple]
A4=A4
A5=A5
Letter=Letter
35x40mm=35x40mm
60x60mm=60x60mm
60x70mm=60x70mm
101x127mm=101x127mm

[Slim New UI]
Language=0
ScanMode=0
ScanRes=300
ResIndex=4
PaperSize=3
Frame=0 0 306 414
Brightness=0 0 0 0
Gamma=14 14 14 10
Contrast=0 0 0 0
DpiScale=0
DeMoire=0
FilterMode=0
ColorBalance=1
ColorMatch=0
DescreenIndex=0
InRulerUnit=0
OutUnit=0
CustomRes=0

*************

In Install.log

*************

*** Installation Started 1/6/5 23:48 ***
Title:
Source: C:\PROGRA~1\MUSTEK~2\123EP22.EXE
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\system\a4s2600.vxd
Made Dir: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32
Made Dir: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\spicall.dll
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\mtwm.ini
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN.DLL
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32.DLL
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWUNK_32.EXE
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWUNK_16.EXE
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\Free_EXE.exe
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\filter.dll
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\lang_e.dll
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\Scanobj.dll
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\Scanobj.ds
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\WATCH.exe
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\Lead52.dll
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\UI.EXE
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\ABOUT.BMP
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\LOGO0601.BMP
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MSTC0001.BMP
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MSTC0000.BMP
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: CaseInfo
INI Item: NewSetting
INI Val: 1
INI Old: 1
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: CaseInfo
INI Item: SettingSectionName
INI Val: 1200 III EP
INI Old: 1200 III EP
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: CaseInfo
INI Item: DSSectionName
INI Val: A4S2INFO_600
INI Old: A4S2INFO_600
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: CaseInfo
INI Item: UsePrivateSettingFile
INI Val: 1
INI Old: 1
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: DSLanguage
INI Val: English
INI Old: English
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: BRAND
INI Val: Mustek
INI Old: Mustek
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: DSNAME
INI Val: 1200 III EP
INI Old: 1200 III EP
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: UITITLE
INI Val: "Mustek 1200 III EP "
INI Old: Mustek 1200 III EP
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: Version
INI Val: 2.2
INI Old: V1.0
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: DriverVer
INI Val: 2.2
INI Old: 2.0
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: F/WVersion
INI Val: NONE
INI Old: None
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: ScanSetting
INI Val: NMLSPD
INI Old: NMLSPD
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: WtimeTick
INI Val: 0
INI Old: 60
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: ResetRes
INI Val: 300
INI Old: 300
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: ResetResIndex
INI Val: 4
INI Old: 4
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: EasyScan
INI Item: Model
INI Val: 1200 III EP
INI Old: 1200 III EP
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: EasyScan
INI Item: Package
INI Val: cover sensor
INI Old: cover sensor
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: EasyScan
INI Item: Ver
INI Val: 2.2
INI Old: Ver1.6
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: EasyScan
INI Item: Help
INI Val: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\A4ui1
INI Old: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\A4UI1
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: Scanning Desktop
INI Item: Path
INI Val: C:\MSCAN\Msoffice
INI Old: C:\MSCAN\Msoffice
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\mtwm.ini
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: Language
INI Val: English
INI Old: English
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\mtwm.ini
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: DSLanguage
INI Val: English
INI Old: English
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\mtwm.ini
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: Language
INI Val: 0
INI Old: 0
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\a4ui1_e.hlp

***********
Old January 7th 05, 02:23 PM
Ken

Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:00:41 GMT, Ken wrote:

I did a lot of clipping of old text.

Well, an email request to Mostek USA (automatically, I guess) got me
instructions on exactly how to pull all the twains and twunks and
reinstall new ones. Apparently I didn't have to uninstall the image
program bundled with the scanner, as I did before. The only
significant difference I could see between what these instructions
said and what I did before to remove this stuff (I still don't
understand whether their term 'scanner driver' refers to all these
twains and twunks or something else.) was that I didn't disable my
virus auto-protect program.

Rarely does the A/V program cause a problem, but if when loading
software does not give you the result you want, it is a wise thing to do.
Their instructions included getting a
different "driver" from their Website, which I did -- '123ep22.exe',
which came out in 1999. The one on my CD, that I used before, is
'd12epe22.exe'. Which one do you use?

I have used both of them, and I saw no real difference. I think my
current installation was from the CD.

So I installed this newer
"driver". I note that it leaves out the 'Twain' folder, only
installing the 'Twain32' folder into the Windows folder. Isn't the
'Twain' folder just for 16=bit-word machines anyhow?

Could be? I am looking at a Win 98 OS and that Dir IS there.

So, OK, now I don't get a flag saying it can't detect the scanner, but
I still get one that says it can't find 'twain.dll' in the Windows
folder, although this file IS in the Windows folder. So I guess I'll
uninstall that driver collection and reinstall the d12epe22 one per
their instructions and see if that works.

It is hard to say exactly why you got that message, but it sounds like
it is a path problem. It could be that some remnant left behind is
incorrect and it cannot find the file because it is looking in the wrong
location.

We can certainly forget all this discussion about when the scanner
lamp should be ON though. At present, when it DOESN'T say it can't
find the scanner, that light still does NOT go on and off with the
tray icon; it's ALWAYS ON. If it does in your case, it must be that
units having some ranges of serial
do that, while others don't.

I doubt that. But it doesn't matter until we get your scanner working.
Then we will see if this is true.

[...]

Most of the time there are, but if you say there are not, then so be
it. You can generally tell what it might be by the voltage rating of
the caps tied to their output. That is, if the caps are rated at 10
volts, then the output of the regulator is probably in the neighborhood
of 5 volts. If the caps are rated 16-25 volts, the regulator is
probably no larger than +12. Most designers place caps with voltage
ratings approx. twice the voltage used on the bus.

Again, I cannot say with certainty that there is an isolated ground,
but I CAN assure you that the +3v is WRONG! If my memory serves me
right, there is a +5 volt regulator used for the logic. The input lead
was +12v if I recall, and the output MUST be +5v. The center terminal
is GROUND. If it is reading +3v, then either your meter is not on the
same ground plain or your ground lead has opened for the regulator.

There are very few semiconductors that operate at less than 5 volts.
In fact, the cut over level is generally recognized as 1.6 volts. That
is a zero is close to ground and certainly never over .6 volts. A one
is never less than 1.6 volts and normally close to the supply voltage.
(This is a GENERAL statement and depends upon many factors including the
type of semiconductor material.)

If you are truly hanging on circuit ground with your meter's common
lead and measuring less than either +12 or +5 on the output of these
regulators, you have a problem. Certainly the center lead on the
regulator is ground, and should read 0 volts.

[...]

Nothing lost. I can assure you however that those measurements if
measure correctly are wrong. Make sure you measure them with reference
to circuit ground. Which MIGHT NOT be PS ground.

[...]

To be honest with you, it is difficult to decipher exactly what all
that means. I will attempt after you take your voltage readings and
they prove correct. Error messages don't mean much if the hardware does
not work.
Old January 7th 05, 05:07 PM
CSM1

Top post because of so "stuff".

Your TWAIN.LOG shows that the TWAIN interface worked correctly.
I woud guess that the software is working and you have a hardware problem
with the scanner.

One other thing, If you have any virus software on your computer, Disable it
and remove all previous attempts to install. Then Install the software again
without the virus scanner running.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

"Ken" wrote in message
Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:

[...]

INI Old: Mustek 1200 III EP INI File:

Old January 7th 05, 08:29 PM
Ken

Ken wrote:
Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:

[...]

Here is a link for a graphic of the type regulator I believe is in the
scanner. http://www.nteinc.com/specs/900to999/pdf/nte960.pdf
I was wrong about the 9805 number, it is a 7805. (Had another brain
fart.) Notice however that the input voltage is on the left of the
device, ground is the center terminal, and the output is the left terminal.

Old January 8th 05, 08:52 AM
Raymond A. Chamberlin

To Ken and CSM1: See interleaved below:

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:29:51 GMT, Ken wrote:

Ken wrote:
Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:

[...]

Yes, the one from the CD does the same thing now -- asks for twain.dll
but no other flags.

So I installed this newer

"driver". I note that it leaves out the 'Twain' folder, only
installing the 'Twain32' folder into the Windows folder. Isn't the
'Twain' folder just for 16=bit-word machines anyhow?

Could be? I am looking at a Win 98 OS and that Dir IS there.

Well the CD allows one to set the scanner up for Win 3.1
alternatively.

[...]

My bad. [red-face emoticon] 7805 and 7812; see above. Not the first
time I've been a bad tech. I could blame my glaucoma, but it was
really lack of ambition to get the right tools.

You can generally tell what it might be by the voltage rating of
the caps tied to their output. That is, if the caps are rated at 10
volts, then the output of the regulator is probably in the neighborhood
of 5 volts. If the caps are rated 16-25 volts, the regulator is
probably no larger than +12. Most designers place caps with voltage
ratings approx. twice the voltage used on the bus.

Again, I cannot say with certainty that there is an isolated ground,
but I CAN assure you that the +3v is WRONG! If my memory serves me
right, there is a +5 volt regulator used for the logic. The input lead
was +12v if I recall, and the output MUST be +5v. The center terminal
is GROUND. If it is reading +3v, then either your meter is not on the
same ground plain or your ground lead has opened for the regulator.

The 12-v regulator is OK -- +15 v in, +12 v out.

The 5-v regulator reads thus:

+15 v --11-ohm/2(?)-w res--o--REG--o---- +0.5 v
| |
47 µ / 25v 100 µ / 10 v
| |
gnd gnd

The above circuit may be rather scrambled when you get it. Hope not.
The aluminum electrolytics, the regular and the resistor are all quite
hot, as is a nearby AIC 1563CN high-efficiency DC/DC converter.
( http://www.scaner.by.ru/data.htm if your Russian is fluent. ) So
I'm not sure how many of these components are bad. Maybe just the
output electrolytic? Possibly something on beyond that. I can't find
those caps in my junk box, so I'll hit Radio Shack tomorrow.

There are very few semiconductors that operate at less than 5 volts.

Well, I guess any of that vintage. But there certainly are now a lot
that run on 3 v or so.

In fact, the cut over level

What is that?

is generally recognized as 1.6 volts. That
is a zero is close to ground and certainly never over .6 volts. A one
is never less than 1.6 volts and normally close to the supply voltage.
(This is a GENERAL statement and depends upon many factors including the
type of semiconductor material.)

If you are truly hanging on circuit ground with your meter's common
lead and measuring less than either +12 or +5 on the output of these
regulators, you have a problem. Certainly the center lead on the
regulator is ground, and should read 0 volts.

Yes.

Here is a link for a graphic of the type regulator I believe is in the
scanner. http://www.nteinc.com/specs/900to999/pdf/nte960.pdf
I was wrong about the 9805 number, it is a 7805. (Had another brain
fart.) Notice however that the input voltage is on the left of the
device, ground is the center terminal, and the output is the left terminal.

Yes, you're right, a 7805 and a 7812. With the board out where I can
get a flashlight on the regulators at just the right angle, and using
a magnifying glass, I can read these old conventional numbers of
positive voltage regulators on them.

SNIP
Old January 8th 05, 01:45 PM
Ken

Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:
To Ken and CSM1: See interleaved below:

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:29:51 GMT, Ken wrote:

The 12-v regulator is OK -- +15 v in, +12 v out.

The 5-v regulator reads thus:

+15 v --11-ohm/2(?)-w res--o--REG--o---- +0.5 v
| |
47 µ / 25v 100 µ / 10 v
| |
gnd gnd

The above circuit may be rather scrambled when you get it. Hope not.

Ray,

I am not sure I am reading your drawing correctly, but if you mean you
have .5 volts on the output, THAT IS A PROBLEM.
The aluminum electrolytics, the regular and the resistor are all quite
hot, as is a nearby AIC 1563CN high-efficiency DC/DC converter.

It will be very difficult to replace any of the logic circuits attached
to this +5 volt bus, but it is possible that a cap is leaking drawing
down your +5 volts. More likely, the regulator failed, but the only way
to tell is to lift some leads. I would first lift the output from the
regulator and measure it. If it is +5, then the problem is on the bus.
Using an Ohm meter and lifting leads from caps would be the next
easiest, then attack the other components if you choose.

For what it is worth, I repaired one of these scanners by replacing the
+5 regulator. Of course your results may vary!!!

( http://www.scaner.by.ru/data.htm if your Russian is fluent. ) So
I'm not sure how many of these components are bad. Maybe just the
output electrolytic? Possibly something on beyond that. I can't find
those caps in my junk box, so I'll hit Radio Shack tomorrow.

Remember, if you do find it to be an electrolytic, you can replace it
with any voltage larger than the one installed and any capacitance
larger than the one installed. It is only a filter, so the capacitance
is NOT critical. Needless to say, observe the polarity.

There are very few semiconductors that operate at less than 5 volts.

Well, I guess any of that vintage. But there certainly are now a lot
that run on 3 v or so.

There are, but they generally are more expensive than the +5 volt
variety. As circuits are designed to operate on lower voltages, they
are becoming more popular. This in turn causes them to become cheaper.

In fact, the cut over level

What is that?

It really becomes quite involved to explain, but simply stated, the
circuits are designed so that stray noise does NOT trigger them. Since
noise is unavoidable in most cases, the threshold is designed so that
only a signal over .6 volts will switch on a semiconductor. Therefore,
most of the time a signal of less than .6 volts is considered a zero,
and one greater than 1.6 is considered a one. The area in between these
levels were referred in my day as "No man's land." That is, the result
of such a voltage was not certain on a circuit. One could turn on,
while another might not.

Disclaimer: News groups are famous for some person who has little to
contribute to a topic jumping in to contradict what another has said.
The topic of logic circuits is long and complex. It also has many
exceptions, and that is why I even hesitate to start to explain the
cross over level topic. I DO NOT HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS!!! Perhaps this
might negate the need for someone to blast me???

Old January 9th 05, 06:50 AM
Raymond A. Chamberlin

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 13:45:07 GMT, Ken wrote:

Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:
To Ken and CSM1: See interleaved below:

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:29:51 GMT, Ken wrote:

The 12-v regulator is OK -- +15 v in, +12 v out.

The 5-v regulator reads thus:

+15 v --11-ohm/2(?)-w res--o--REG--o---- +0.5 v
| |
47 µ / 25v 100 µ / 10 v
| |
gnd gnd

The above circuit may be rather scrambled when you get it. Hope not.

Ray,

I am not sure I am reading your drawing correctly, but if you mean you
have .5 volts on the output, THAT IS A PROBLEM.

Yes, that's what I mean. And yes, that obviously is a problem.

The aluminum electrolytics, the regular and the resistor are all quite
hot, as is a nearby AIC 1563CN high-efficiency DC/DC converter.

It will be very difficult to replace any of the logic circuits attached
to this +5 volt bus, but it is possible that a cap is leaking drawing
down your +5 volts. More likely, the regulator failed, but the only way
to tell is to lift some leads. I would first lift the output from the
regulator and measure it. If it is +5, then the problem is on the bus.
Using an Ohm meter and lifting leads from caps would be the next
easiest, then attack the other components if you choose.

For what it is worth, I repaired one of these scanners by replacing the
+5 regulator. Of course your results may vary!!!

Well, I overlooked a pair of tiny chip/surface-mount components on the
other side of the board, one on each side of the regulator to ground.
I would conclude they're either diodes or electrolytics. Do they
suppress high-frequency oscillations? They came after my
time-in-grade.

Anyhow, I yanked the two radial-lead caps and the regulator. All of
those appear fine -- as far as I can tell with a 20,000-ohm/v
ohmmeter. The chip jobby on the regulator input reads 3.3 ohm one way
and 20 ohms the other way (on the 20-ohms-at-center scale. The one on
the regulator output reads a dead short both ways on the same scale.
I assume the latter ist kaputt. Now, how the devil would I be able to
find out the specs of that component -- unless -- ha, ha -- Mostek
will tell me? Hey maybe they would send me a whole schematic. . .so I
could tell them how to make one that doesn't burn up, huh? I could
get a replacement mail-order chip thingy from Digi-Key, I guess.
Dunno what their minimum order is though.

BTW, the resistor I marked as 11 ohms reads 51 ohms cold. I said 11
ohms, because that seemed to be its color code -- but the first stripe
was a lighter brown than the second, so I was always supicious.
Apparently it used to be greeen. :-O

However, when I look at eBay or Craig's List, used and even new
scanners are a dime a dozen! I paid $133 (incl. tax and less rebate)
in San Francisco back in 1998. Craig's List has one of this model
(used of course) for $19 and eBay runs from $0.01 minimum bid on this
model, to $40 buy-it-now for a new, boxed-up Visioneer One Touch 5800
USB scanner. Is the latter any good?

Ray

Old January 9th 05, 02:35 PM
Ken

Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:

To Ken and CSM1: See interleaved below:

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:29:51 GMT, Ken wrote:

The 12-v regulator is OK -- +15 v in, +12 v out.

The 5-v regulator reads thus:

+15 v --11-ohm/2(?)-w res--o--REG--o---- +0.5 v
| |
47 µ / 25v 100 µ / 10 v
| |
gnd gnd

The above circuit may be rather scrambled when you get it. Hope not.

Ray,

I am not sure I am reading your drawing correctly, but if you mean you
have .5 volts on the output, THAT IS A PROBLEM.

Yes, that's what I mean. And yes, that obviously is a problem.

Ray,

You have found the problem, now you need to find the solution.

The aluminum electrolytics, the regular and the resistor are all quite
hot, as is a nearby AIC 1563CN high-efficiency DC/DC converter.

It will be very difficult to replace any of the logic circuits attached
to this +5 volt bus, but it is possible that a cap is leaking drawing
down your +5 volts. More likely, the regulator failed, but the only way
to tell is to lift some leads. I would first lift the output from the
regulator and measure it. If it is +5, then the problem is on the bus.
Using an Ohm meter and lifting leads from caps would be the next
easiest, then attack the other components if you choose.

For what it is worth, I repaired one of these scanners by replacing the
+5 regulator. Of course your results may vary!!!

Well, I overlooked a pair of tiny chip/surface-mount components on the
other side of the board, one on each side of the regulator to ground.

Without looking at the circuit myself, and assuming what you say is
true, I would assume they are caps.

I would conclude they're either diodes or electrolytics. Do they
suppress high-frequency oscillations? They came after my
time-in-grade.

They are not likely electrolytics due to their being SMDs.

Anyhow, I yanked the two radial-lead caps and the regulator.

By "yanking", I assume you mean the leads connected to the output have
been removed from the +5 volt bus and the short is still there? Or is
the short gone from the bus??
All of
those appear fine -- as far as I can tell with a 20,000-ohm/v
ohmmeter. The chip jobby on the regulator input reads 3.3 ohm one way
and 20 ohms the other way (on the 20-ohms-at-center scale. The one on
the regulator output reads a dead short both ways on the same scale.

I am not quite sure what you mean by the "Chip jobby." If the
regulator has been removed, and the output lead on it is shorted to any
of the other two leads on the regulator, THAT is your problem. You have
a bad regulator.
If on the other hand the regulator has been removed and the short
still exists on the +5v bus, there is a short on the bus. Suspect caps
first, such as those whose leads you have lifted. If the electrolytics
have been lifted and the short still exists, look for SMD caps or any
semiconductor attached to the bus.

I assume the latter ist kaputt. Now, how the devil would I be able to
find out the specs of that component -- unless -- ha, ha -- Mostek
will tell me?

If we are talking about the +5 volt regulator, you can just buy one at
Radio Shack for a few pennies. Most of them are rated at something like
1 amp, and it is doubtful that anywhere near that current is being drawn
on that circuit. Take your old component with you and just buy a +5
regulator with the same physical characteristics, if that is the
component you are talking about.

Hey maybe they would send me a whole schematic. . .so I

You have got to cut back on the weed smoking or heavy drinking. They
are not likely to even ANSWER your request, let alone send you any
information!!!

could tell them how to make one that doesn't burn up, huh? I could
get a replacement mail-order chip thingy from Digi-Key, I guess.
Dunno what their minimum order is though.

Radio Shack. If you can't find one there, I will mail you one. That
is, IF THE REGULATOR is what we are talking about????

BTW, the resistor I marked as 11 ohms reads 51 ohms cold. I said 11
ohms, because that seemed to be its color code -- but the first stripe
was a lighter brown than the second, so I was always supicious.
Apparently it used to be greeen. :-O

If this device is in series with the input voltage of 12 volts, it
might well be a coil (choke). Then the marking would not be ohms at
all, but milihenries. If you measured +12 with your DVM, the input is
OK. Your problem lies with the output.

Secondly, measuring a resistor while it is in a circuit often gives
false readings because of other attached components. The only effective
way would be to lift one lead and measure it. What is important is how
many ohms to ground the output bus reads.

On the other hand, if the component shorted is a SMD cap on the output
bus, then it can probably be replaced with one from a scrap circuit
board. This is not easily done, but I have done it many times. It is
true it might be for RFI, but it is probably not super critical. If you
can find another with similar makings, you will probably be OK.

However, when I look at eBay or Craig's List, used and even new
scanners are a dime a dozen! I paid $133 (incl. tax and less rebate)
in San Francisco back in 1998. Craig's List has one of this model
(used of course) for $19 and eBay runs from $0.01 minimum bid on this
model, to $40 buy-it-now for a new, boxed-up Visioneer One Touch 5800
USB scanner. Is the latter any good?

Ray

I don't know anything about other brands of scanners, but you could be
only pennies away from fixing your scanner. It is your call.

Ken

Old January 10th 05, 08:52 AM
Raymond A. Chamberlin

Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:

To Ken and CSM1: See interleaved below:

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:29:51 GMT, Ken wrote:

The 12-v regulator is OK -- +15 v in, +12 v out.

The 5-v regulator reads thus:

+15 v --11-ohm/2(?)-w res--o--REG--o---- +0.5 v
| |
47 µ / 25v 100 µ / 10 v
| |
gnd gnd

The above circuit may be rather scrambled when you get it. Hope not.

Ray,

I am not sure I am reading your drawing correctly, but if you mean you
have .5 volts on the output, THAT IS A PROBLEM.

Yes, that's what I mean. And yes, that obviously is a problem.

Ray,

You have found the problem, now you need to find the solution.

No, I've just found a symptom.

[...]

Well, I see such being advertised in the Digi-Key catalog.

Anyhow, I yanked the two radial-lead caps and the regulator.

By "yanking", I assume you mean the leads connected to the output have
been removed from the +5 volt bus

I mean these parts are sitting on the bench apart from their board.

and the short is still there?

Yup; from the trace to what was the regulator output, to what was the
regulator ground.

Or is
the short gone from the bus??

No.

All of
those appear fine -- as far as I can tell with a 20,000-ohm/v
ohmmeter. The chip jobby on the regulator input reads 3.3 ohm one way
and 20 ohms the other way (on the 20-ohms-at-center scale. The one on
the regulator output reads a dead short both ways on the same scale.

I am not quite sure what you mean by the "Chip jobby."

The SMD. However, I was fed up with this nonsense at that point and
forgot there was still all the other stuff on that regulator-output
bus. So it's likely my conclusion that this SMD is shorted is wrong.

If the
regulator has been removed, and the output lead on it is shorted to any
of the other two leads on the regulator, THAT is your problem. You have
a bad regulator.

No, NO interlead measurement on the regulator, while out of its
circuit, shows a short. I have to assume it's just fine; but since
the trace that went to its output now still reads shorted to what was
its ground trace, if I want to pursue this silly game further, I
should check what's left connected to that regulator's output trace,
which still shows a short to what was its ground trace. If I got
whatever is shorted beyond that point fixed, perhaps I should check
the regulator unloaded or externally reasonably loaded to see that its
really OK, before puttin it back into its circuit on the board.

If on the other hand the regulator has been removed and the short
still exists on the +5v bus, there is a short on the bus.

Yes, that's the case.

Suspect caps
first, such as those whose leads you have lifted. If the electrolytics
have been lifted and the short still exists, look for SMD caps or any
semiconductor attached to the bus.

Right. . .if I want to further waste my time (which, I agree, is not
worth much at present. But it makes a lot more sense to buy a new
scanner.

I assume the latter ist kaputt. Now, how the devil would I be able to
find out the specs of that component -- unless -- ha, ha -- Mostek
will tell me?

If we are talking about the +5 volt regulator, you can just buy one at
Radio Shack for a few pennies. Most of them are rated at something like
1 amp, and it is doubtful that anywhere near that current is being drawn
on that circuit. Take your old component with you and just buy a +5
regulator with the same physical characteristics, if that is the
component you are talking about.

Well, no, it's not! See above. Actually, though, I did first buy
adequate replacements for the regulator input and output radial-lead
caps and the regulator itself, the 7805. Radio Shack finally directed
me to one of their stores in this town that I didn't know of which
actually did have this regulator. I first went to two of their stores
and a local independent electronic parts store, all of which were out
of 7805s.

Hey maybe they would send me a whole schematic. . .so I

You have got to cut back on the weed smoking or heavy drinking. They
are not likely to even ANSWER your request, let alone send you any
information!!!

could tell them how to make one that doesn't burn up, huh? I could
get a replacement mail-order chip thingy from Digi-Key, I guess.
Dunno what their minimum order is though.

Radio Shack. If you can't find one there, I will mail you one. That
is, IF THE REGULATOR is what we are talking about????

No, that's not what I'M talking about.

BTW, the resistor I marked as 11 ohms reads 51 ohms cold. I said 11
ohms, because that seemed to be its color code -- but the first stripe
was a lighter brown than the second, so I was always supicious.
Apparently it used to be greeen. :-O

If this device is in series with the input voltage of 12 volts,

No, 12 v.

it
might well be a coil (choke). Then the marking would not be ohms at
all, but milihenries.

No, a millihenry choke would never drop the 4.5 v I measured across it
when the overloaded 5-volt regulator was in the circuit. I has to be
a resistor -- either linear or nonlinear with current.

If you measured +12 with your DVM, the input is
OK.

NO! The input to the +5-v regulator is the +15 v from the plub
supply.

Your problem lies with the output.

Well, something that's HANGING ON the output. I KNOW that.

Secondly, measuring a resistor while it is in a circuit often gives
false readings because of other attached components.

Certainly, but I measured it AFTER I took the regulator and its input
electrolytic OUT of the circuit. Thus one end of this resistor was
handing free when I measured it at 51 ohms. Of course, it could be
half burnt up and thus not the value it was born with.

The only effective
way would be to lift one lead and measure it.

Right on. Thus I did.

What is important is how
many ohms to ground the output bus reads.

Zilch (+\- what I can't see) on the X1-ohm scale of my mirrored 20,000
ohms/v meter.

On the other hand, if the component shorted is a SMD cap on the output
bus, then it can probably be replaced with one from a scrap circuit
board.

Yes, I have a scrapped motherboard I bought for another part, which
board has at least 50 of the little things on it. Of course, I don't
know what size they are, but I agree the size is probably not at all
critical. I find it hard to believe this one's necessary at all.
There're probably others somewhere down the line on this same bus,
where they might make a difference.

This is not easily done, but I have done it many times. It is
true it might be for RFI, but it is probably not super critical. If you
can find another with similar makings, you will probably be OK.

However, when I look at eBay or Craig's List, used and even new
scanners are a dime a dozen! I paid $133 (incl. tax and less rebate)
in San Francisco back in 1998. Craig's List has one of this model
(used of course) for $19 and eBay runs from $0.01 minimum bid on this
model, to $40 buy-it-now for a new, boxed-up Visioneer One Touch 5800
USB scanner. Is the latter any good?

Ray

I don't know anything about other brands of scanners, but you could be
only pennies away from fixing your scanner. It is your call.

Yeah. I could spend hours, maybe days yet, checking out all the parts
hanging on this +5-v bus. Just figuring out where it goes is no easy
thing. The board appears to be a 4-plane one that is not very
translucent. I should run my multimeter over the more than 1000 lead
terminations on this board to see how many are on this bus? Even my
life of upgrading my software and taking out the trash is more
satisfying.

It was certainly interesting to find someone who was so completely
wave-soldered into the exact scanner I was having trouble with, but
this trouble-shooting has gotten way past the limit of reason at this
point, I'm afraid.

Thanks for all your trouble though.

Ray

Ken

mustek 1200 III EP M Russon Scanners 2 January 3rd 05 06:37 AM
wifi max Asus Motherboards 1 February 25th 04 09:36 PM
Mustek 1200 CP Problem Stronak Scanners 1 December 27th 03 02:45 PM
Receive faxes on Mustek 1200 UB PLUS? John Whitlow Scanners 2 November 6th 03 07:42 PM
Driver for scanner Mustek 1200 CU Plus under Windows Xp Johnny Rappo Scanners 0 August 5th 03 09:15 PM