Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade

Old December 23rd 03, 06:54 AM
Mirko

Default Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade

Hello everybody
I apoligise for any possible mistakes in this message.
I own a Nikon LS-2000 scanner. When I purchased it, the firmware version
was 1.2, and the quality of the scanned images was absolutely stunning.
Since the new 1.3 firmware was available on Nikon's website, I decided to
upgrade the scanner, mainly because one of the features of the new firmware
was the speed improvement of the scanning operation.
And it's true, with the 1.3 the scan of a slide takes less then half the
time it used to take with the old firmware... but... unfortunately also the
quality of the scan is less than half the one it used to be !
I've read every possible faq, I've tried every possible setting of the Nikon
scan software, enabled/disabled colour managing options dozens and dozens of
times, but with no success.
Now I would like to downgrade my LS-2000 to the old firmware 1.2. I have
downloaded the program to write the 1.2 firmware in the
scanner, but it obviously checks the version of the scanner's firmware and
aborts saying that it doesn't need to be updated.
Can anyone please help me ? Has anyone had the same problem ?
Thank you in advance for your attention and best wishes for Happy Xmas
Mirko
ilmagnificoREPLACETHISWITHATzapoREPLACETHISWITHDOT net

Old December 23rd 03, 07:35 AM
Mark M

"Mirko" wrote in message
[...]

I've had this same problem, and have basically given up on my LS-2000.
I don't need to try and express the level of frustration/anger I feel about
this...

Old December 23rd 03, 08:18 AM
Ken Weitzel

Hi...

Mark M wrote:
"Mirko" wrote in message

[...]

Just a thought... I don't have one (wish I did! but
perhaps if sufficient numbers of you are disappointed you
just may be able to complain en masse and have Nikon
release a copy that doesn't check prior version?

The best of the holiday to you and to yours.

Ken

Old December 23rd 03, 11:47 AM
Bruce Graham

In article BmRFb.21691$J77.19862@fed1read07, says...

"Mirko" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have a LS2000, but have you tried Vuescan? You can get a free
download of the trial version which produces watermarked output but this
should be sufficient to evaluate the scan quality. I use it for nearly
all my scanning (Canon in my case) instead of the mfrs software. He has
ways to trick hardware.

http://www.hamrick.com gets you there. It is only a 1.4M download. The
user interface has a learning curve but is OK once you get used to it.

If you already use it, pls accept my apologies.

Bruce Graham
Old December 23rd 03, 09:18 PM
Mark Durrenberger

I'm not sure where the LS-2000 gets the version information but could you
"fool" the scanner into thinking that 1.2 is really 1.4 and has a newer date
than the faulty 1.3 version?

try poking around the firmware file with a binary/hex editor or even a text
editor and see if you can see a date/version number...

There are several shareware programs at www.download.com that will edit hex
(hexidecimal) and binary files.

Best of luck,
Mark

Old December 25th 03, 01:32 PM
ShaneBooth

"Mirko" wrote in message
[...]

Don't have any information to help you but will be interested in anything
that comes up. I have the same scanner with 1.3 but as I brought it 2nd hand
I cannot compere it to the old firmware. Do you have any more information
regarding this problem I would like to hear about it

Shane

Old December 28th 03, 11:32 PM
Mirko

I did it ! Your suggestion was right, I was already trying to debug the
program to find where it tests the firmware version, but with no success.
Instead, as you say, I found where it has the version number stored, tricked
it and make it install the old firmware !
And now my scanner is a brand new LS-2000 with 1.21 firmware version :-))
Thank you very much
Ciao ciao
Mirko

Old December 29th 03, 02:30 AM
Mark Durrenberger

Genius at your service ;-) (Humble too :-)

Glad it worked.

Tell us where the firmware info is stored so if any of us need to try this
out we'll know how to go about it...
Also what program(s) did you use to edit the firmware file.

Thanks,
Mark

Old December 29th 03, 06:57 AM
Mark M

"Mirko" wrote in message
.. .
I did it ! Your suggestion was right, I was already trying to debug the
program to find where it tests the firmware version, but with no success.
Instead, as you say, I found where it has the version number stored,

tricked
it and make it install the old firmware !
And now my scanner is a brand new LS-2000 with 1.21 firmware version :-))
Thank you very much
Ciao ciao
Mirko

Could you please give some details about what you did to accomplish this?
I would very much like to do the same, and would appreciate it very much--as
my LS2000 has never been the same since the change.
Also...what operating system are you running?
Thank you for any info.
-Mark M

Old December 29th 03, 08:20 PM
Mirko

Hello folks
Now that I have enough time, I'll explain the solution and how I got to it,
on my PC which runs with Windows 98SE.
Here is the whole mental/practical process, don't fall asleep in the middle
of it :-)

Debugging the 1.21 firmware install program was a mess. The program
interacts with external functions that fetch firmware information from the
hardware, using calls in protected mode, etc.
Thus I tried looking for a place in the program itself, where the version
number is stored. I tried scanning the program for the couple of bytes 01
15 (hex values equivalent to 1 and 21 in decimal), but nothing. Then for 15
01, again nothing found.
Then for 01 21, nothing. Then for 21 01, nothing.

Then I noticed something : the firmware install programs have all the same
length, 190k, and at glance the first part looks the same for all of them.
In fact they consist of two parts : a first one which the installs the
firmware, and a second one which is the firmware itself.

Then I thought "what if I compare the firmware 1.21 install program with the
1.31 one ?". So I did : from an MSDos command window I used the "fc"
command to compare the two versions.
The result of a compare is a long list of different bytes, which are
contiguos, because of course the "second parts" of the two files are
different, but...
But the list of mismatches begins with a
000117B7: 02 03
Mmmmmm interesting... Let's try and compare the 1.12 program with the
1.31... Here's the very first 2 differences between them :
000117B7: 01 03
000117B8: 02 01
Elementary my dear Watson !!!! Is it really so easy ??? Yes it is ! Don't
ask me why at the beginning I didn't scan the program also for 01 02 01
because I wouldn't know what to say.
At this point I immediatly hex-edited the 1.21 installation program (I use a
free hex editor called XVI32) and changed the bytes
000117B7: 02
000117B8: 01
into
000117B7: 09
000117B8: 09
to make it think it's a 1.99 version.
Then I took a deep breath and launched it : the program window said
something like "Do you want to update the firmware to version 1.99 ?"... I
took another deep breath and clicked on yes : ....update successful !!

Then I opened Nikonscan and checked the window title bar : it said the
firmware version was 1.21 !!! This means that the 02 01 at the address
000117B7 must be just a value in the first part of the installer that is
used to check if the firmare has to be updated, but it's not part of the
firmware itself.
Thus, if you change it to 09 09 you don't trick the firmware but only the
installer !

I tried the above method both with 1.12 and 1.21 firmware installers and
they worked.

To complete the restore, I have unistalled the Nikonscan 3.x and reinstalled
the ole-n-good 2.2. Now the quality of the scanning is back to the
original one, apart from the dust that in the meanwhile, since when I
updated it with the 1.31 (years ago), has invaded the scanner !
Next step is to clean the scanner lenses/ccd. Wish me luck because I'm
doing it myself : I've asked an authorized Nikon service point for the cost
of the operation but here in Italy the prices for these kind of things tend
to be pretty (*u*king) high ! By the way if you have suggestions about the
cleaning, please contribute. I've found some websites that explain how to
do it, but if someone has tried it and wants to share informations, I'm all
ears.

Thanks to you all, have a Happy New Year and... th-th-that's al folks (for
now)
Mirko

"Mark M" ha scritto nel messaggio

"Mirko" wrote in message
.. .
I did it ! Your suggestion was right, I was already trying to debug the
program to find where it tests the firmware version, but with no

success.
Instead, as you say, I found where it has the version number stored,

tricked
it and make it install the old firmware !
And now my scanner is a brand new LS-2000 with 1.21 firmware version

:-))