FTP attempts causes Internet Connection loss

Old December 2nd 03, 06:13 AM
Mattrixx

Default FTP attempts causes Internet Connection loss

Why is it that whenever I attempt an FTP server connection, I *sometimes*
lose my Internet
Connection entirely?
I then have to physically disconnect the power cord to my router (connected
to DSL) and then re-connect, to reset that lost Internet Connection!

This doesn`t occur every attempt, only if it can`t connect to the FTP
server relatively quickly, or then it seems to just hang.... and then the
Internet Connection itself is lost!

Is there something I can do to prevent this Internet Connection loss or is
this normal?

Thanks in advance, Matt

Old December 2nd 03, 06:50 AM
JT

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 05:13:15 GMT, "Mattrixx" wrote:

Why is it that whenever I attempt an FTP server connection, I *sometimes*
lose my Internet
Connection entirely?
I then have to physically disconnect the power cord to my router (connected
to DSL) and then re-connect, to reset that lost Internet Connection!

This doesn`t occur every attempt, only if it can`t connect to the FTP
server relatively quickly, or then it seems to just hang.... and then the
Internet Connection itself is lost!

Is there something I can do to prevent this Internet Connection loss or is
this normal?

Thanks in advance, Matt

This is not normal, but more information about your ISP, dsl modem, etc..
would help. Probably a driver for the DSL modem or the network card, but
that is just a guess. Also, are you running any AV or Firewall software? If
so, what?

JT

Old December 2nd 03, 04:11 PM
Mattrixx

"JT" datacare@www wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Yes, I have Norton Anti-Virus running and my: Netgear 114P "ProSafe /
Wireless Firewall/PrintServer" (4 ethernet ports) serves as a built-in
hardware NAT firewall.

As I have said, this "lost Internet Connection" does *not* happen every
time, but when it does,
I reset my Router... not my Efficient Networks Speed Stream DSL modem,
provided by
SBC Yahoo.

Matt

Old December 3rd 03, 04:42 PM
JT

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 15:11:17 GMT, "Mattrixx" wrote:

"JT" datacare@www wrote in message
ws.com...
[...]

Check this out in the wireless network groups, but there seem to be some
stability problems with netgear wireless routers. There are some firmware
updates that might make it better. Ultimate solution might be a different
router. Might want to try the alt.internet.wireless news group for more
help. Do a groups.google.com search also on netgear wireless routers.

I have used Netgear off and on for years, but I am hearing bad things about
their wireless gear. Hope they fix it soon.

JT