Question on EMC

Old June 6th 08, 09:27 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
xewals

Default Question on EMC

Dear All,

I need you help and advice on one matter. My storage (DMX) in the
company is managed by EMC. They have access through dial-in modem
connection to Service processors connected to Storage Arrays. Such
connection should be used for storage arrays configuration management.
Is there any way that the EMC will have access to the data? Appreaciate
your help.

Best Regards, Xewals
Old June 6th 08, 05:27 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 09:27:03 +0100, xewals wrote:

Dear All,

I need you help and advice on one matter. My storage (DMX) in the
company is managed by EMC. They have access through dial-in modem
connection to Service processors connected to Storage Arrays. Such
connection should be used for storage arrays configuration management.
Is there any way that the EMC will have access to the data? Appreaciate
your help.

Best Regards, Xewals

I don;t believe so. The only way they would be able to make sense of
data is if the had access to luns. If the Service Processors do not
have lun's presented to them then you're ok.

I know HDS has a similar capability and they do not have access to
data unless lun's are presented.

~F
Old June 9th 08, 03:31 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
AWS

Is there any way that the EMC will have access to the data?

The SP does not have any access to the LUNs, and if it did, it
wouldn't know the volume layout and file system. There is a way to
enable fiber channel logging so that the packet payload would be
accessible (like protocol analysis).
Old June 9th 08, 10:03 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
xewals

AWS wrote:
Is there any way that the EMC will have access to the data?

The SP does not have any access to the LUNs, and if it did, it
wouldn't know the volume layout and file system. There is a way to
enable fiber channel logging so that the packet payload would be
accessible (like protocol analysis).

Thanks. So How can I get access to data from SP? Is there any scenario?
Appreciate your advice.

Best Regards
Old June 11th 08, 09:53 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Conor

On Jun 9, 10:03*pm, xewals wrote:

Thanks. So How can I get access to data from SP? Is there any scenario?
Appreciate your advice.

No way of accessing the data from the SP, to access the disks you
would need a host connected the the array with a HBA that has the LUNs
masked and mapped to it. The host would also have to know which FS the
data is contained in on the LUN.
All the SP can access is the array configuration (Bin file) which
controls where devices are presented (to which FAs)