Iomega vs LaCie NAS

Old January 20th 08, 10:52 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

Default Iomega vs LaCie NAS

Hi!

I'm looking for an embedded and cheap 500GB RAID1 NAS solution for a
small office. I've narrowed the choice to these two:

LaCie 2Big 1TB
and
Iomega 1TB Network HardDrive

But I am worried with the transfer rate these solutions provide. I
intend to run them on a 100Base-T netowrk and expect a throughput of
some 10Mb/s (that's megabytes). Will these devices provide me with
that?
Old January 21st 08, 12:47 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Edwin Cooke

Default Iomega vs LaCie NAS (the tradeoff)

krwoloq*gmail.com wrote:

I'm looking for an embedded and cheap XXX ...
But I am worried with the transfer rate...
...I expect a throughput of YYY

The unavoidable triangle tradeoff:

GOOD
/\
/ \
/ \
/ \
--------
FAST CHEAP

"Pick any two!"

--
Edwin
Old January 21st 08, 03:32 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Doug White

Hi!

I'm looking for an embedded and cheap 500GB RAID1 NAS solution for a
small office. I've narrowed the choice to these two:

LaCie 2Big 1TB
and
Iomega 1TB Network HardDrive

But I am worried with the transfer rate these solutions provide. I
intend to run them on a 100Base-T netowrk and expect a throughput of
some 10Mb/s (that's megabytes). Will these devices provide me with
that?

Check out benchmarks at:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30147/75/

The Iomega did pretty poorly compared to others, and if the RAID dies,
you lose all your data during a rebuild. I wouldn't touch this with a 10
foot pole.

They don't seem to have a review of the LaCie 2Big drive, but other LaCie
products don't seem too stellar in performance.

Doug White

LaCie reliability MikeM Homebuilt PC's 12 September 11th 06 11:57 PM
Lacie - whose drives do they use ? sunday Storage (alternative) 9 August 25th 06 08:26 AM
iomega rev 35GB Atapi drive / backup softwa 'iomega automatic backup pro (IAB)' / bugs? André Jochim Storage (alternative) 0 April 1st 05 09:34 PM
Lacie External d2 HD redTed General 2 October 10th 04 06:23 PM
Lacie USB 2.0 40GB died bluejohn Storage (alternative) 1 June 27th 03 05:06 PM