What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

Old April 15th 06, 11:13 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

Andy

--
Posted to UK groups (4 max) which probably use Sunday trading
Old April 15th 06, 11:18 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

The store in your link is an Express, which because of its size is not
covered by the legislation.

Old April 15th 06, 11:22 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

Wrong.

There's no exemption for Xmas day.

There's regulations regarding Easter Sunday trade. I can't remember the
actual square footage quoted in the law, but the regulations only apply
to stores over a certain square footage.

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

It's an Express and will be exempt from Sunday trading and Easter Sunday
trading regulations due to it's size.

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

It's big enough to be regulated.

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old April 15th 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

:
: However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
: Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7
:
: M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
: http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

Not sure about M&S, maybe they took the decision themselves?

--
RiTSo

Old April 15th 06, 11:30 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

RiTSo wrote:

Andy wrote:

: ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
: close. Is this true?
:
: However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
: Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7
:
: M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
: http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

Not sure about M&S, maybe they took the decision themselves?

As I recall, it's a hell of a lot less than 3000m^2 'cos that would be a
bloody big shop. (Bear in mind, your average Safeway / Morrisons store
is only 30,000 square *feet*).

checks

It's 3000 square feet, not metres!
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old April 15th 06, 11:43 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"SteveH" wrote in message
k...
RiTSo wrote:

Andy wrote:

[...]

I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and long!!

Old April 15th 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

SteveH wrote:

:: I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
:: square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big
ASDA
:: near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

: As I recall, it's a hell of a lot less than 3000m^2 'cos that would
: be a bloody big shop. (Bear in mind, your average Safeway /
Morrisons
: store is only 30,000 square *feet*).
:
: checks
:
: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

Was trying from memory! Sure it started with a '3' and it was
something squared!

Almost right!!

=]

--
RiTSo

Old April 15th 06, 11:47 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

--
RiTSo

Old April 15th 06, 11:48 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

RiTSo wrote:

Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

grin
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old April 15th 06, 11:59 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

In message , RiTSo
writes
Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

Vous avez besoin, peut etre, de les lunettes tres forte

quand you can't see something that size

--
geoff