Never buy from PC World

Old September 10th 05, 07:38 PM
Adam

Default Never buy from PC World

Hi Everyone

I thought I should warn about the total lack of respect for customers'
statutory rights that seems to exist at PC World. I bought a KVM switch from
them a few weeks ago, and it worked fine at first, so I didn't bother
keeping the receipt. However, earlier today, it stopped working, so I took
it back to PC World to get it replaced. I spoke to the manager, who was
totally unhelpful and refused point blank to do anything about it because I
didn't have the receipt. I pointed out that it is not actually a legal
requirement to produce a receipt (and anyway, would you keep a receipt for a
low-value item that worked OK at first?), but he didn't care. No receipt, no
exchange. End of story. Also end of any chance of my shopping at PC World
ever again. But I guess PC World doesn't care about that, even though I am
responsible for all IT purchasing for my company as well as buying the
occasional piece of kit for home use.

I can't believe that PC World think it's OK to be so awkward over such a low
value item and lose a customer forever (and possibly lose a few more if any
of you decide to act on my warning and never buy anything from them).

I've written to their head office asking for their response: watch this
space.

Best wishes

Adam

Old September 10th 05, 07:42 PM
Bob Eager

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:38:02 UTC, "Adam" wrote:

I thought I should warn about the total lack of respect for customers'
statutory rights that seems to exist at PC World.

True of the whole Dixons Group.

(tale of woe...)

Don't mess with head office. Go to Trading Standards!

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended.
Old September 10th 05, 07:45 PM
Dr Teeth

1) You didn't keep the receipt. It may not be a legal requirement, but
I expect some proof of purchase is.

2) You didn't keep it as you said that the item was cheap...you took a
gamble...and lost.

If it was that cheap get another one, get a life and KEEP THE RECEIPT!

People like you just make it difficult for the rest of us.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old September 10th 05, 09:24 PM
Jeremiah Harbottle

I ordered a Logitech laser mouse from PC World online - cheapest price
anywhere at the time. It was faulty, so it took back to my local branch and
they swapped without a quibble.

I kept the receipt, though:-)

Old September 10th 05, 11:32 PM
Conor

In article , Adam
says...
[...]

Actually you're the dumb **** and PC Worlds were in the right. You must
be able to produce proof of purchase. Even in SOGA it states this.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Old September 10th 05, 11:33 PM
Conor

In article , Bob Eager
says...
On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:38:02 UTC, "Adam" wrote:

I thought I should warn about the total lack of respect for customers'
statutory rights that seems to exist at PC World.

True of the whole Dixons Group.

True of any retailer with any common sense. Only a complete ****wit of
a business would give a refund without proof of purchase.

Old September 11th 05, 12:10 AM
Martin Milan

Conor wrote in
t:

In article , Bob Eager
says...
On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:38:02 UTC, "Adam" wrote:

I thought I should warn about the total lack of respect for
customers' statutory rights that seems to exist at PC World.

True of the whole Dixons Group.

True of any retailer with any common sense. Only a complete ****wit of
a business would give a refund without proof of purchase.

Proof of purchase is not necessarily a receipt - it's not beyond them to
check to see if they have sold a KVM recently to your credit card
(assuming this wasn't a cash payment)...