PCWorld shock horror

Old November 29th 04, 10:57 AM
loz

"Anton Gÿsen" wrote in
message ...
I saw a 'bargain bin' near the front door of my local branch loaded
with 1.8m USB cables for sale. We're not asking for £4.99... not even
£9.99... but £14.99! Each!

Gold plated ones can be had from ebuyer for about £5 or less

Or from someone on eBay for about £1.50

Or
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ads/index.html
For less than £2

Loz

Old November 29th 04, 11:29 AM
Niall Leonard

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:52:20 +0000, Gama Chameleon
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:43:05 -0000, Tx2
wrote:

In article , , a.k.a Sam
Nelson says...

In article ,
Tx2 writes:

So long as they show you what the cost is at "checkout", where's the
problem?

When you're running a real live retail establishment, presumably most of
your customers pay the VAT. Can you name another high-profile retailer that
displays pre-VAT prices? Can you imagine how long, say, Tesco, would get
away with that

I'm not concerned with "do they, don't they" i'm more puzzled with the
statement paraphrased to suggest they are ripping customers off by not
including VAT inclusive prices.

IIRC by law, at least in the UK, you must display +VAT prices if you
are selling to consumers rather than trade. A few years ago the
magazines like PC Pro et al, had to get the advertisers to show + VAT.
I remember them doing and actually saying it was a legal requirement
rather than because they were doing it "for the readers".

However, so far as i can see on a very quick glance at the site, VAT
inclusive prices are displayed, so can't quite see what the OP is
talking about?

Yep I don't see what the problem is myself either.

PC World USED to display pre-VAT prices in store, about five (?) years
ago. That changed at about the same time as the advertising changed
in PC Pro. I suspect the poster in question hasn't been in a PC World
since then or that he has and he didn't notice.

nl
Old November 29th 04, 01:48 PM
John Hardaker

If you have nothing to do for an hour or so take a trip to PC-World and look
for a bargain. As least you will look at everything they have got and it
will be very entertaining if you know your prices. I have even, once I
think, bought something on offer. At least it is warm and out of the rain.
"Can I help you, Sir" "Yes, why is this so and so twice (three) times the
price I can buy it for somewhere else?" "Is that mail order, Sir? We don't
compete with mail order."
Three groups buy from them: 1) I want it now 2) I don't know what things
cost 3) I don't care what things cost as I have a) lots of money b) I'm not
paying - the company is. Or, even, he's a very nice man (lady) and I want to
buy from him (her).
Would anybody like to talk about the price of car spares?

wrote in message
After some weeks looking around for a USB PCI card with some internal
connectors, and finding no budget kit in stock at the usual suspects,
I decided to look at PCWorld's site. (I'd site an ad for a sale.)

PCWorld has an offshoot that sells components. There, I found not just
one option, but two, one with a higher spec than anything else I'd
seen, and at a lower price than the likes of eBuyer.

Start at:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/pccomponents/

Not a big catalogue, but might help you out of a hole for stuff needed
in a hurry.

Then again, it may not turn up before Christmas!

Michael Kenward Words for sale

Old November 30th 04, 03:17 PM
Ted

If you have nothing to do for an hour or so take a trip to PC-World
and look for a bargain. As least you will look at everything they
have got and it will be very entertaining if you know your prices. I
have even, once I think, bought something on offer. At least it is
warm and out of the rain. "Can I help you, Sir" "Yes, why is this so
and so twice (three) times the price I can buy it for somewhere
else?" "Is that mail order, Sir? We don't compete with mail order."
Three groups buy from them: 1) I want it now 2) I don't know what
things cost 3) I don't care what things cost as I have a) lots of
money b) I'm not paying - the company is. Or, even, he's a very nice
man (lady) and I want to buy from him (her).
Would anybody like to talk about the price of car spares?

Interesting.
I often look in for the occasional bargain.
A week or so ago I picked up an HP deskjet 5850 for 89 quid.
I was happy with the deal
It was only slightly more expensive than the two HP 720C ink cartidges that
I was looking for.

Ted