Confused drive

Old October 16th 03, 02:43 AM
Larry Cywin

Default Confused drive

I have a 30gb Maxtor drive with a small problem. I'm not sure how I did it,
but drive suddenly shows up as unformatted. Using Partitionmagic, I was able
to put a small partition on it (as a test), and disk editor says that my
data is still intact. How do I get it back?

Old October 16th 03, 01:18 PM
Maxim S. Shatskih

Windows NT family of OSes will say "unformatted" on any FS metadata corruption
which fails the mount.

Run DSKPROBE from w2k's Support Tools, and edit the boot block manually to be a
valid FAT one.

With NTFS, things are harder by far, and I would recommend the data recovery
company.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

"Larry Cywin" wrote in message
I have a 30gb Maxtor drive with a small problem. I'm not sure how I did it,
but drive suddenly shows up as unformatted. Using Partitionmagic, I was able
to put a small partition on it (as a test), and disk editor says that my
data is still intact. How do I get it back?

Installing an Old Harddrive? Zip General 41 January 12th 05 03:19 AM
Skybuck's adventure with the Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 123.5 GB ;) The Other Guy. General 24 November 17th 04 07:49 PM
Question about transfer speeds between HDs, and DMA mode ZigZag Master Overclocking AMD Processors 25 July 25th 04 09:56 PM
Help... Gene Puhl Homebuilt PC's 3 April 10th 04 02:16 AM
Drive doesn't recognise blank CDR - Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2002 Graham Appleton Cdr 7 November 1st 03 05:34 PM