Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently?

Old April 22nd 05, 08:18 PM
Notan

Larry Sams wrote:

Dellbot ALERT!!!!

Of course if you get the consumer level, you get crappy as hell support.

If necessary, Irene, don't let your grandchildren read this post.

Asshole ALERT!!!!

Am I disagreeing?

It's a Catch-22. The people that probably need more support (i.e., Home users)
are the one that are offered the least lowest level of support.

Notan
Old April 22nd 05, 08:20 PM
Notan

Notan wrote:

Larry Sams wrote:

Dellbot ALERT!!!!

Of course if you get the consumer level, you get crappy as hell support.

If necessary, Irene, don't let your grandchildren read this post.

Asshole ALERT!!!!

Am I disagreeing?

It's a Catch-22. The people that probably need more support (i.e., Home users)
are the one that are offered the least lowest level of support.

That was supposed to be "lowest level...," not "least lowest level..."

The brain's still working, but I can't say the same for the fingers! g

Notan
Old April 22nd 05, 08:28 PM
Ted Zieglar

(Attempting to steer the conversation in a new direction...)

Technical support for newbies or the clueless has to be a big time money
losing operation. In return for a lower price for the computer, perhaps Dell
could offer dedicated software support for a price. It would be another
option you could choose when configuring a computer.

Ted Zieglar

Old April 22nd 05, 09:07 PM
joe_tide

I ordered mine through Small Business and it didn't ask if I wanted the
media. I just checked and that option has disappeared.

"Notan" wrote in message
Laura wrote:

Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently? I'm not having much
luck.

snip

What division did you purchase from?

As I posted, in a different thread, Dell *is* giving Small Business
(and higher, I assume) purchasers the option of receiving an OS CD.

It kinda sucks if Home purchasers aren't being offered the same.

Notan

Old April 22nd 05, 09:17 PM
David

joe_tide wrote:
ordered mine through Small Business and it didn't ask if I wanted the

media. I just checked and that option has disappeared.

If you order ABOVE dimension (optiplex, etc) you will have that option.
Dave

Old April 22nd 05, 09:26 PM
Laura

I agree with you. Not everyone should have the OS disk.

I know that their policy is due to cost cutting measures but don't make it
impossible to get the disks for those that chose to do so. To be told by a
arrogant indian support person that they don't give the disks out again but
only to have his supervisor tell me differently. I also had to threaten to
send the machine back before he would transfer me to a supervisor. They are
fearless these customer reps in India. They just don't care. What a shame.

I would also love to have had the option of excluding
AOhell/Earthstink/Netzero, Quickbooks, Music match and a bunch of other
useless bloatware on my computer. We even specified NO security software as
we already have a copy of our own and they installed a trial version of
McAfee. Arrgghhh. Maybe we need to speak up as consumers.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote in message
If I may interject with an opinion here....and remember, it's only my
opinion:

I believe that the great majority of Home purchasers either have no clue
what to do with an OS disk, would be too scared to use it, would lose it,
or
would break their install in 5 minutes with it. So I agree with Tom's
comment that it's a cost saving measure, both off the top and for support.

I believe the cluelessness to which I refer above is by happy choice: Most
Home users would rather do anything than tinker with their computers.
Since
these are the bulk of Dell's Home purchasers, why include an OS disk?

That said, I do believe that Dell should at least offer the rest of us the
option to purchase a CD when buying a computer.

And while I'm on the topic: In exchange for a reduced price for the
computer, I would be pleased to exclude software support. After all, the
software is already factory tested, installed and setup (with default
options) when it arrives at your door. It's not Dell's responsibility to
save me from myself if I then screw up my software. OTOH, if my hard disk
dies under warranty, that's Dell's responsibility.

Ted Zieglar

"Laura" wrote in message
I personally would not have a problem paying an extra $5 for the OS or
Drivers CD if it was made available. The fact that Dell does not bother
tell anyone and makes it difficult to obtain is the frustrating part. I
supect that they just spent way more than $5 in tech support today alone

on
my request. I have been on the phone with the tech on and off for the
past

2
hours. 3 separate phone calls. I'm sure she is paid more than $5 per
hour.
So where is the savings there?

I do understand the cost cutting issues and what companies do when

desparate
to save money.

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
. ..
While I do not understand why Dell doesn't offer it at as a cost-based
upgrade, the reality is that the margins are so thing that the big OEMs
almost have to do this in the comsumer space. An extra $5 is huge when
you're barely making money. People demand $399 computers, with all

retains
parts, includign the OS, and lifetime toll-free support whenthey screw
something up.

It can't be done.

This isn't a pro-Dell statement, as it applies to all the majors, just
fact. It's comical, in some ways, like the people that start out their
posts:

"I formatted the drive and install Windows 3.11 on my new Dell 8400 and
Dell won't support me. Those crooks!"

replace Windows 3.11 with the non-standard operating system of your
choice.

Tom
"Laura" wrote in message
That's my feeling too. I called Microsoft yesterday and was told that

the
option to provide end customers with a CD is up to the OEM. It is

purely
a cost cutting measure. Dell is banking (literally) on most clueless
customers not calling and requesting their previously provided CDs.

"Jupiter Jones" wrote in message
Microsoft does not dictate whether Dell or any other OEM provides a

CD.
That is strictly a choice Dell has made to save a few pennies.
Microsoft may be guilty of some things, but no CD is 99% dells fault.
The 1% can go to Microsoft because that is one of the many options

given
to the OEMs.
But it was Dell who made the choice on behalf of their customers.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

wrote in message
I just bought a Dell. Forget getting a Disk out them. The were
forced
to adopt the "no disk" policy because of MS's greed.

You better either learn how to use the full ASR(?) backup in your
Dell, or buy a drive imaging program like Acronis True image, or

spend
a few hundred+ to buy the OS from MS. This is what MS wants: screw

the
customer and force them to spend an additional couple of hundred
buying what should have been given to them in the first place.

Those are your choices. Life is too short to aggravate the hell
outta
yourself trying to beat professional crooks like Gates and Dell.

Old April 22nd 05, 09:32 PM
Laura

"Notan" wrote in message
Notan wrote:

Larry Sams wrote:

Dellbot ALERT!!!!

Of course if you get the consumer level, you get crappy as hell
support.

If necessary, Irene, don't let your grandchildren read this post.

Asshole ALERT!!!!

Am I disagreeing?

It's a Catch-22. The people that probably need more support (i.e., Home
users)
are the one that are offered the least lowest level of support.

That was supposed to be "lowest level...," not "least lowest level..."

The brain's still working, but I can't say the same for the fingers! g

I understood what you meant and agree. Most busineses have an on-site IT
staff or at least a computer guru that they can call upon. Its the ordinary
citizen, especially the senior set, that need more computer support. And if
the gal that was trying to answer the simple - what is this program- type of
questions is any indication of the support they are hiring then those folks
are in deep trouble if they ever need real help. She was clueless. Nice and
polite, unlike the guy yesterday but she was clearly winging it.

Old April 22nd 05, 09:46 PM
Ted Zieglar

I detect certain attitudes in your response which leads me to wonder about
your integrity.

"To be told by a arrogant indian support person that they don't give the
disks out again..."
"They are fearless these customer reps in India."

What does India have to do with it?

As for 'bloatware': If you don't want ISP software, for example, check the
"No ISP" option when you order.

Ted Zieglar

"Laura" wrote in message
I personally would not have a problem paying an extra $5 for the OS or
Drivers CD if it was made available. The fact that Dell does not bother
tell anyone and makes it difficult to obtain is the frustrating part. I
supect that they just spent way more than $5 in tech support today

alone
on
my request. I have been on the phone with the tech on and off for the
past

2
hours. 3 separate phone calls. I'm sure she is paid more than $5 per
hour.
So where is the savings there?

I do understand the cost cutting issues and what companies do when

desparate
to save money.

. ..

Old April 22nd 05, 10:01 PM
Laura

"Ted Zieglar" wrote in message
I detect certain attitudes in your response which leads me to wonder about
your integrity.

"To be told by a arrogant indian support person that they don't give the
disks out again..."
"They are fearless these customer reps in India."

What does India have to do with it?

I guess some of my preduices are sneaking in. I used to deal with a lot of
asians and middle eastern folks at a prior job that has left a bad taste in
my attitude. Dealing with some of their attitudes towards americans was not
very pretty. Sorry.

As for 'bloatware': If you don't want ISP software, for example, check the
"No ISP" option when you order.

For options where we were able to do so we did or at least my husband was
*supposed* to. The No ISP was selected yet we got all 3 options with the
computer.

Ted Zieglar

"Laura" wrote in message
I personally would not have a problem paying an extra $5 for the OS or
Drivers CD if it was made available. The fact that Dell does not
bother
tell anyone and makes it difficult to obtain is the frustrating part.
supect that they just spent way more than $5 in tech support today

alone
on
my request. I have been on the phone with the tech on and off for the
past
2
hours. 3 separate phone calls. I'm sure she is paid more than $5 per
hour.
So where is the savings there?

I do understand the cost cutting issues and what companies do when
desparate
to save money.

. ..

Old April 22nd 05, 10:36 PM
Chuckles The Scary Clown

"Laura" wrote in message
Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently? I'm not having much
luck.

New pc from Dell UK delivered today (22nd April) complete with OS CD.