Help my PC is dying of heat exhaustion

Old July 21st 13, 07:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Sylvia Else

Default Help my PC is dying of heat exhaustion

On 21/07/2013 1:22 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
You are not alone.

My DreamPC for 2006 and fixed throughout the years also cannot handle
the heat.

Not even with an Antec 1200 case, somewhat cleaned.

At 27 celcius degrees, the CPU gets so hot that the motherboard's bios
shuts down the PC.

Presumably you've checked that the CPU fan (assuming there is one) is
running.

I had a problem of an overheating CPU some years back that I eventually
traced to inadequate thermal contact between the heatsink and the CPU.
Reapplying some heatsink compound solved the problem.

Sylvia.
Old July 21st 13, 09:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
ÜBER® BAR

On 07/20/2013 08:22 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
My DreamPC for 2006 and fixed throughout the years also cannot
handle the heat.

Not even with an Antec 1200 case, somewhat cleaned.

At 27 celcius degrees, the CPU gets so hot that the motherboard's
bios shuts down the PC.

The temperature shutdown seems to be at 50 according to motherboard
settings.

Apperently the AMD X2 3800+ CPU is rated at about 85 watts or so...
apperently that's way too hot.

Try lowering the CPU core voltage, if the BIOS allows it, a little bit
at a time. When it becomes unstable, go back up a notch.
I settled on 1.425 volts for my AMD XP-Mobile processor installed in a
desktop pc.

Do the same with the memory voltage setting.
Old July 21st 13, 04:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Liebermann[_2_]

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 05:22:35 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

At 27 celcius degrees, the CPU gets so hot that the motherboard's bios shuts
down the PC.

With a thermistor or thermocouple probe,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220870280391
measure the CPU case temperature, the heat sink temperature near the
CPU, the heat sink temperature near the air flow, the air temp near
the CPU fan, and the ambient air temperature. Calculate or measure
how many watts your CPU is burning. Lookup the die to case thermal
resistance of the CPU on the CPU data sheet. With the aforementioned
information, you can calculate the thermal resistance of the various
components of your system. The numbers will tell you which component
is the problem.

If you're feeding hot air into the CPU fan, the CPU will get that much
hotter. If you slop too much silicon grease between the CPU and the
heat sink, you will have a dramatic temperature difference between the
CPU and the base of the heat sink. That's the usual problem. If
you're overclocking the CPU, you take your chances.

Then there are problems with fans. The usual problem is that all the
fans either blow air in circles or lack sufficient exhaust (or intake)
area to handle the rated air flow. Blowing air in a circle just heats
the air every time it blows by the CPU until it gets really hot.
Blowing air out of the case is useful only if there is a corresponding
air intake area that is at least 80% of the area of the exhaust ports
(due to differences in air density between hot air and cold air). I've
seen many build it yourself cases with insufficient air intake or
exhaust ports. You might try blowing smoke through the case to see
where the air flow is really going.

Then... there's liquid cooling.
http://www.overclockers.com/watercooling-myths-exposed/

The temperature shutdown seems to be at 50 according to motherboard
settings.

Probably much too low. The shutdown temp depends on your unspecified
CPU type. Lookup the recommended thermal shutdown temperature for
your CPU and set the BIOS thermal shutdown threshold for 5-10C lower.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Maximum-CPU-Temperature/143/1
If your CPU is not on the above list, find it in the manufacturers
data sheets.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 21st 13, 05:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
OldGuy

Got a CPU fan?

Remove it!
Look inside the heatsink to see if it is clogged with dust.
Vacuum or blow out.

Reinstall fan.

Run cool.

My PC had exaclty this problems; would shut down from heat.
So I cleanned the dust beteen the heatsink fins and the problem was
solved ... until next time.

Old July 21st 13, 06:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
ÜBER® BAR

On 07/21/2013 08:47 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
With a thermistor or thermocouple probe,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220870280391
measure the CPU case temperature, the heat sink temperature near the
CPU, the heat sink temperature near the air flow, the air temp near
the CPU fan, and the ambient air temperature.

Hey! It's Skybuck. Is he really going to perform all that without doing
damage?
Old July 21st 13, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

I didn't bother re-appling the therman paste interface material as far as I
remember (just used the stuff that was on it... not believing the little
bubbles bs) or maybe I did...

I think I pulled of the whole thing for cleaning or so... and then put it
back on... or maybe not...

I don't think it's a thermal paste interface material probably because on
idle the temperature drops back to 32 degrees celcius or so... which to me
seems to indicate it's running as it would if it was applied fresh.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 21st 13, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Right now it's 27.5 degrees celcius 0.5 degrees down from 28 degrees
earlier, so it's not 2 degrees hotter than yesterday.

Tomorrow it will probably be 30 degrees celcius.

I am not sure what the 50 degree shutdown is... maybe it's cpu temperature
or maybe it's motherboard temperature.

I don't think it's too low, it's rather high, I used to run at 45 degree
celcius as the max.

Computers/human beings are similar, at 43 degree celcius heat becomes
unbarreble for me.. still some beach go-ers like it.

At 50 degrees celcius people definetly start to die and so will computers.
So it's already too high I think...

Fact of the matter is, air cooling is simply not providing enough cooling
capabilities.

Even if all fans set at max there is only so much it can do.

I think liquid cooling will probably fail as well... the radiator would have
to be better than 8 fans all together ???

So far one solution mentioned is getting air conditioning... seems kinda
strange idea to me but ok.

I could try and build it into my appartment, draw back is if I move it might
be lost... or it could be moved not sure...

It will probably require extra power... there is a wall socket near the door
where it could be build above the door...
might look into this possibility.

Not sure if it will help much...

It better not require too much wattage... not sure if my appartment can
deliver enough power for all of these devices

The motherboard is a winfast... the shutdown future is kinda cool... wish my
other motherboards had it... that could have prevented lots of motherboard
deaths.

CPU-Z shows: motherboard model: NF-CK804

Bios: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version: 6.00 PG
Date: 08/11/2005

This future is not on the top of my list for a next/new motherboard

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 21st 13, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

I already did that mostly...

Used vacuum cleaner to suck away dust... I know it's a bit dangerous but ok.

And blew the dust out...

It's probably 95% clean or so... should be enough.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 21st 13, 09:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

I am also quite annoyed with AMD and their X2 processor.

The multiplier is locked as some of you know... so properly underclocking is
not possible.

The motherboard had two nice features:

CPU Clock Multiplier or something like that.

and

HT Multiplier.... (hyper transport)

First I tried HT... later I figured it was the wrong setting.

I didnt notice any performance degradation with HT running at 1x instead of
auto/5x ?

Maybe HT is for core to core communication... but I think it's main roll was
memory speed/bandwidth.

Didnt notice a thing... quite odd.

The HT multiplier was unlocked according to CPU-Z

Unfortunately the CPU multiplier not setting it to 5x or 4.5x or
something instead of 10x had no effect

I am not going to mess with voltages cause I dont know how to do that
properly... and certainly don't want to risk damage

Just gonna wait for the night too cool down before I continue my gaming

Or maybe I do a low power game

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 21st 13, 09:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 23:57:41 -0400, Paul wrote:

The drives in question, were a 2TB and a 3TB.

Paul

I've seen where 3Tbyte drives require non-legacy BIOS, either/or, and
W7, minimum;- except for one exclusive Seagate 3TB that is widely
mentioned as intended to format out for Win XP. The rest, there's a
few programs, offhand saw 3 or 4 larger known interests in the field,
with drivers as a solution to work within 3TB on XP. Some
manufacturers also claim to support XP, although except for Seagate
they're not as highly regarded, and possibly selling snake-oil for
those interested. Seems almost something along BluRay burners, which
will work, some evidently, given the right low-level drivers. Just
looking. . .I don't feel any pressing need to buy more than 2TB, and
BluRay discs are $4 for 100meg at optimistically 10 minutes "write
once" times -- roughly at parity to HD prices for the present (and,
yes, I'm aware 33% of computer users still use XP). I'd personally
doubt BluRay has as wide a presence, as wide as DVD's inception.

I'd mentioned this before, and it's looking more and more like a place
to be between a rock and hard place. HDs offer the performance value,
just not the failure safety net of BluRay, while at costs, consequent
sticking to HD backup media, at least duplicated, if enough to where I
may have to cull data for essentiality. More work - IOW, and not on
Easy St where everything just gets tossed for duplication.