Advice needed: AMD or Intel

Old January 20th 04, 07:57 PM
jamotto

Mark H wrote in message ...
Since the 2500's are now locked - you can still easily reach 2200mhz
with the retail heat sink.

Jon Rose wrote:

Can that be done with the retail fan and heatsink? I have an NF7-S and a
2500+ on its way. Wondering if I need an aftermarket sink and fan to get it
to 200 Mhz FSB).

Jon

curious when did they start locking the Barton 2500's? I just bought
one from newegg.com and it is not locked.
Old January 20th 04, 09:26 PM
DaveL

Most say the locking started at week 39. There have been reports of some
locked as early a week 35. What week is your's? If you dont know, post the
code number on it and I'll tell you. It would be something like "AIUGB
0348UPMW". This would be week 48 of 2003.

Dave

"jamotto" wrote in message
om...

Old January 21st 04, 04:59 AM
jamotto

"DaveL" wrote in message ...
Most say the locking started at week 39. There have been reports of some
locked as early a week 35. What week is your's? If you dont know, post the
code number on it and I'll tell you. It would be something like "AIUGB
0348UPMW". This would be week 48 of 2003.

mmm well if it is not the serial number for the warranty then I don't
have it. Or I recorded the wrong number. Also I'm kind of using it
right now and I don't think I can get it out. It took a friend and I
an hour to get it in because the heatsink it used was the worst
heatsink I ever had to install! It had a green plastic thing for
placeing the screwdriver into to help push the retaining clip down it
also did not have the indention for the raised back part of the socket
the previous 2500 I bought had this indention in the heatsink.

anyway, I guess I will assume I have a Processor that is 35week.
Old January 22nd 04, 02:20 PM
Homie

Homie

P.S.
I fried/crushed/ installed into faulty motherboards 5 AMD cpu's in the past 6 months.
that's out of about 300 AMD repairs
Zero " 0 " fried / Damaged Intel CPU's...in the last 3 years ....over 5000 Intel
based boards repaired & tested with Intel cpu's.
Some had 5 volts to the core, a few, I just plain forgot to put the heat-sink
on....didn't matter ! Bios beeped video went a little funny....but it didn't ****in
burn up in 2 seconds like AMD cpu's do....Then corners of the cores aren't made to
fall off so that the manufacture can claim abuse and no warranty .... wonder why AMD
does that ? ????
Not biased, I just think that AMD is selling **** and telling us its Shinola.

And what the **** am I gonna do with a 64bit CPU ??? I know...break legs off it and
send it to me to fix :-)
No, I know.....I will set up a server and serve MS. net documents to everyone for
desert ? that might use all 64 bits ....

--
Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

http://motherboardrepair.com

"Papa Lazarou" wrote in message
Hi y'all. It's time for my trusty KT7A & 1.4ghz Athlon to hang up its
boots and I need some advice on my new system.

I've decided on either an AMD based 2800xp with Abit NFS-7 mb, or a more
expensive 2.8ghz P4 on an Abit AI7. Neither will be overclocked as I am
going for as quiet a system as possible so radical cooling is out of the
question. Is there any noise difference between the two systems with
stock heatsink/fans? The heavy duty activities the machine will be used
for are gaming and Mpeg 2 encoding (using Tmpgenc).

At first I was all set to take the AMD route without even considering
the P4, but then it occurred to me that mpeg encoding is basically a
pure number-crunching operation and that for this purpose the 2.1ghz
2800xp will be obviously inferior to the sheer power of a 2.8ghz P4.
Am I correct in thinking this, as I don't mind springing the extra bucks
for the P4 system if it gives me this 33% boost on my encodes?
Any advice appreciated.

Old January 22nd 04, 05:37 PM
DaveL

I'll agree that the AMD Athlons are not as rugged as the Intel chips. But I
believe the difference can be made up with learned and carefull installation
practices. What I mean is, if you are new to building a system then go
Intel. If you know what you are doing and can afford to take the little
extra time and care, then by all means, save some money and go AMD.

Dave

Old January 22nd 04, 07:47 PM
Homie

In my situation, 5 CPU's lost while repairing motherboards is nearly $600 profit right
out of my pocket, not to mention the waisted time caused by the failure in the middle
of what otherwise would have been a good day.
I use more care with AMD CPU's than any other component I work with daily, still the
results tell the truth.
I just don't see how it's a good deal to have a product that has no built in
safeguards.
They are great performers for the buck, however, heat-sink compound does dry out, fans
do fail, power supplies go whacky, none of these things has killed an Intel while
under my care but all of those things have killed AMD's at my expense. AND it always
happens at the worst possible time....day before Christmas , same day the car
dies...you know.......
If AMD would implement even crude safeguards like a 5 second warning or at the very
least crowbar the damn ATX........ I would have much nicer things to say.
Meanwhile, I have several 2~3Ghz key fobs.... they do make good conversation pieces.
Next I am going to make a VIA BGA chip-set hood ornament... (Not kidding at
all....they are a pain to remove without damage but they look so kool).

Gary

Old January 22nd 04, 08:30 PM
DaveL

All my AMD motherboards have a automatic shutdown mechanism if the cpu gets
hot, like if the fan dies or heatsink falls off. I saw a newbie in another
NG that was setting up an Athlon64 system. He thought he would test out his
shiny new cpu before mounting the HSF because he did not want to get it
messy in case he had to return it. He was asking why it would not boot up.
After we set him straight (and had a good time laughing at him) he mounted
the HSF and it still worked, it was not burnt out. So I'm thinking the new
Athlon64s have some type of thermal protection.

Dave

Old January 22nd 04, 10:03 PM
Homie

If it survived for even 3 seconds without a heat-sink, it's got something the Athlons
don't.
I fried 2 slot A 950's last year when I neglected to plug in the fans, the bios alarms
& shutdown were set but they were about 30 seconds too late. That external temp sensor
(I think that's Via's great Idea) is about like having the fire department walk to
your burning house with empty buckets....at least when they get there, they could tell
ya..."yep, she's a hot one"
I assure you, the 2.2g Athlon's will self destruct faster than you can shut down the
supply when they are booted without a heat-sink.......Sometimes, just to add insult,
they will take out the on-board regulators and chip-set too!
I am not the sharpest tack in the box but every time it has happened to me, it was
because I was destracted for just a second as I was doing the final build before the
final test....you know, phone rings, sit down the heat-sink, wipe the white/silver
slime off my hands, talk for 5 minutes..... then walk back to the test jig and
think...OH..I just need to boot this and get it ready to ship....
2 seconds later as the current meters head for a jigawatt----- that's when I can't
speak English &^%*
I am sure the neighbors hear something like "Trucking 8MDEEES Truck! Chucking !!chuk
!!duck !suck! muck guck! ruck guck puck ! ""
(.. If they fixed that in the 64.... I will start recommending AMD's.)

Gary

--
Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

http://motherboardrepair.com

news All my AMD motherboards have a automatic shutdown mechanism if the cpu gets

Old January 23rd 04, 12:02 AM
- HAL9000

Looks like they did Homie.

I downloaded a video from Toms Hardware guide. At the end of the
bench marking they take off the heatsink on both a P4 and a Athlon 64.
They both shut down. As I recall, they both shut down around 85 to 90
degrees C.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2003...lon_64-53.html

You need the latest divx to view the video...

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

snip

Old January 23rd 04, 02:13 AM

[...]

I thought the AthlonXP had a shut down since the 2100+, or something
like that. But that's just an emergency shutdown. ...And I haven't
'tested' it.

P4's throttle. A64 are supposed to have more advanced powermanagement
than the P4.

Still don't see your reasons for complaints? Guy asked for "Advice
needed: AMD or Intel". There's no problems to building an Athlon.
There's much better reasons for building AMD than not. And your
complaint doesn't even amount to a reason, IMO.

Ancra