Updated my P5W DH from an E6600 to an E6850

Old May 7th 08, 01:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

Default Updated my P5W DH from an E6600 to an E6850

Somewhere on teh intarweb "William" typed:
It's a fact,
certified faster CUP's run cooler than OC'ed CPU's at the same speed.

I take issue with this "fact" so have crossposted it to
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking. Hopefully someone there will give their
opinion.
--
Shaun.

Old May 7th 08, 02:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Light

~misfit~ wrote:
Somewhere on teh intarweb "William" typed:
It's a fact,
certified faster CUP's run cooler than OC'ed CPU's at the same speed.

I take issue with this "fact" so have crossposted it to
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking. Hopefully someone there will give their
opinion.

It depends.

If the overclocked cpu can run stable at the stock voltage of the
certified cpu, then there should be no difference.

If the overclocked cpu needs to use a bit more voltage than the
certified cpu, then it would run hotter.
---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old May 7th 08, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
~misfit~ wrote:
Somewhere on teh intarweb "William" typed:
It's a fact,
certified faster CUP's run cooler than OC'ed CPU's at the same
speed.

I take issue with this "fact" so have crossposted it to
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking. Hopefully someone there will give
their opinion.

It depends.

If the overclocked cpu can run stable at the stock voltage of the
certified cpu, then there should be no difference.

If the overclocked cpu needs to use a bit more voltage than the
certified cpu, then it would run hotter.

Thanks Ed, that is exactly what my experience with CPUs and and 10+ years of
overclocking tells me. The only way the overclocked, lesser-spec'ed CPU
would run hotter is if it needs more vcore to reach the same speed (or is
supplied with a different cooler and they're used with stock coolers).

Thanks.
--
Shaun.

Old May 7th 08, 04:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Light

~misfit~ wrote:
Thanks Ed, that is exactly what my experience with CPUs and and 10+ years of
overclocking tells me. The only way the overclocked, lesser-spec'ed CPU
would run hotter is if it needs more vcore to reach the same speed (or is
supplied with a different cooler and they're used with stock coolers).

This reminds me of the two Sempron 64 3400+ cpus I got for friends.
Looking up the specs, they could come in any of three significantly
different voltages. It's nice that they would bother to test them and
set up the ones that could run at low voltages to do so -- at least, I
suppose that's what they did. We got the ones with the lowest voltage
and they run cold -- the pc's idle at 35 watts!

--
---

Old May 7th 08, 12:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

~misfit~ wrote:
Thanks Ed, that is exactly what my experience with CPUs and and 10+
years of overclocking tells me. The only way the overclocked,
lesser-spec'ed CPU would run hotter is if it needs more vcore to
reach the same speed (or is supplied with a different cooler and
they're used with stock coolers).

This reminds me of the two Sempron 64 3400+ cpus I got for friends.
Looking up the specs, they could come in any of three significantly
different voltages. It's nice that they would bother to test them and
set up the ones that could run at low voltages to do so -- at least, I
suppose that's what they did. We got the ones with the lowest voltage
and they run cold -- the pc's idle at 35 watts!

That's pretty cool. g

I have an old XP1800+ T'bred-B that has a default vcore of 1.65V (IIRC) and
default speed of 1.53 GHz (133 x 11.5?). For ages now I've had it running at
10 x 180MHz and at 1.5V vcore. It's cool as a cucumber and rock-solid. It'll
do over 2.1 GHz with 1.75V but it's not my main machine anymore (it's number
3) and I don't need it to be that fast.
--
Shaun.

Old May 7th 08, 07:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Light

~misfit~ wrote:

I have an old XP1800+ T'bred-B that has a default vcore of 1.65V (IIRC) and
default speed of 1.53 GHz (133 x 11.5?). For ages now I've had it running at
10 x 180MHz and at 1.5V vcore. It's cool as a cucumber and rock-solid. It'll
do over 2.1 GHz with 1.75V but it's not my main machine anymore (it's number
3) and I don't need it to be that fast.

The desktop Athlon XP's seem like volt guzzlers now, don't they?
Especially the really old ones. And they could take 90C, though they
could be unstable above 60C. If you just had a little heatsink they'd
idle at 45C. I put my old 2000+ in a friend's pc and there wasn't room
for the heatsink I brought due to a capacitor. So I had to put a lame
heatsink on that had been on a Duron 700, and wound up lowering the bus
one notch to get it cool enough not to worry about what would happen
during the summer. Now she has the Sempron 3400+ on a Gigabyte geforce
6100 board. I might overclock it 33% when I next visit -- the board has
all the settings, hidden away under CTRL + F1 or ALT + F1.

My very last Athlon XP was one of the low voltage laptop ones with the
unlocked multiplier that's now in a friend's pc. It runs Win XP quite
quickly set as a 2600+. I think it was 1.35v stock. A desktop would read
it as 1.48, or something like that. When I was running it I had to use
the wire in the socket trick to overclock it. The friend's board has
jumpers - a great little Asrock VIA KM-something with video. I'd still
be running that cpu if it had been up to the Trainz simulator -- but
that took a Winchester (which I'm still running, 20% overclocked).

---

Old May 8th 08, 06:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

~misfit~ wrote:

I have an old XP1800+ T'bred-B that has a default vcore of 1.65V
(IIRC) and default speed of 1.53 GHz (133 x 11.5?). For ages now
I've had it running at 10 x 180MHz and at 1.5V vcore. It's cool as a
cucumber and rock-solid. It'll do over 2.1 GHz with 1.75V but it's
not my main machine anymore (it's number 3) and I don't need it to
be that fast.

The desktop Athlon XP's seem like volt guzzlers now, don't they?

LOL, they sure do.

Especially the really old ones.

Yeah, the Palominos were 1.75V default and needed quite a bit more to get
them to overclock.

And they could take 90C, though they
could be unstable above 60C. If you just had a little heatsink they'd
idle at 45C. I put my old 2000+ in a friend's pc and there wasn't room
for the heatsink I brought due to a capacitor. So I had to put a lame
heatsink on that had been on a Duron 700, and wound up lowering the
bus one notch to get it cool enough not to worry about what would
happen during the summer. Now she has the Sempron 3400+ on a Gigabyte
geforce 6100 board. I might overclock it 33% when I next visit -- the
board has all the settings, hidden away under CTRL + F1 or ALT + F1.

Yep, the famous Gigabyte hidden settings in BIOS.

My very last Athlon XP was one of the low voltage laptop ones with the
unlocked multiplier that's now in a friend's pc.

I always wanted one of those. A Barton-M. Most examples of those, in a good
mobo (nForce2-Ultra400) could do 2.5 GHz with very reasonable vcores. I had
an unlocked Barton XP2500+ that would run at XP3200+ speeds at default vcore
but wouldn't do much more regardless of what vcore. All the best ones were
sold as Barton-Ms. I sold my unlocked 2500+ for a tidy sum that I put
towards my C2D rig and pulled the T'bred out of the drawer.

It runs Win XP quite
quickly set as a 2600+. I think it was 1.35v stock. A desktop would
read it as 1.48, or something like that. When I was running it I had
to use the wire in the socket trick to overclock it. The friend's
board has jumpers - a great little Asrock VIA KM-something with
video.

Shame you didn't have it in an nForce2 board, you would have got quite a bit
more out of it I'm sure. Mine is a Soltek SL-75FRN-2L. Once I replaced the
capacitors on it it became rock-solid and is quite simply the best Socket A
platform I've seen.

I'd still be running that cpu if it had been up to the Trainz
simulator -- but that took a Winchester (which I'm still running, 20%
overclocked).

Nice! I like to keep older hardware going. I have around 6 PCs now. Too good
to sell for the pitance I'd get for them. Second-hand PC stuff sure devalues
fast unless you're lucky enough to get a sought-after item like my unlocked
Barton. I got more for that second-hand than I paid for it.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old May 9th 08, 11:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Light

~misfit~ wrote:

Shame you didn't have it in an nForce2 board, you would have got quite a bit
more out of it I'm sure.

It's just being used for e-mail, mostly. :-)

Mine is a Soltek SL-75FRN-2L. Once I replaced the
capacitors on it it became rock-solid and is quite simply the best Socket A
platform I've seen.

Ah, the leaky caps. People with the nvidia boards were lucky to have DDR
to carry over to the K8's.

Nice! I like to keep older hardware going. I have around 6 PCs now. Too good
to sell for the pitance I'd get for them. Second-hand PC stuff sure devalues
fast unless you're lucky enough to get a sought-after item like my unlocked
Barton. I got more for that second-hand than I paid for it.

It's been an eye-opener. My Winchester cost $190 US and now new
single-core A64's are $40 US. I almost bagged a socket 939 dual-core
chip that fleetingly appeared on newegg for about that.

---