Won't complete installation of XP

Old March 2nd 07, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jenny

Default Won't complete installation of XP

I'm building my dream machine (as much as I can afford) and hit a new error
message for me.

The system is Intel mobo D975XBX2KR w/ Core 2 Duo E6600 and video card
Matrox Parahelia APVe which is a 128MB PCIe x16.

It copies the XP pro cd without a problem (horizontal bar at bottom goes to
100%) and then starts the installation process so a blue XP logo screen
comes up
that shows on the left of screen that Collecting information, Dynamic Update
and
Preparing Installation
is complete and that Installing Windows has started with 39% left. It is
the window where
they start talking about features (on the right side of the screen and
Windows Movie Maker blurb is up).

Then a window pops up and says:
"Error, Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms Error Message: The
parameter is incorrect.
Fatal Error: One of the components that windows needs to continue setup
could not be
installed. The parameter is incorrect."

Oh heck, what does this mean?? There was a blurb about Raid when the post
started but
I ignored that. Do I need to go back into setup to fix something?? If it
gets this far, all of
my physical components are working, aren't they??.

Thanks!!!

Old March 2nd 07, 11:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"jenny" wrote:

The system is Intel mobo D975XBX2KR w/ Core 2 Duo E6600 and video
card Matrox Parahelia APVe

Sorry, this isn't responding directly, but... spending over $300 on
a non-NVIDIA/ATI video card is going way out on the limb of risk
taking if you are a gamer. If you're not a gamer, please disregard.

Good luck.

Thanks!!!

Old March 3rd 07, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave[_2_]

"jenny" wrote in message
[...]

It means that your CD is damaged/scratched/in some other way unreadable.
The information copied to the hard drive is incomplete. The installation
starts from the hard drive using corrupted software from the CD that is now
on the hard drive. -Dave

Old March 3rd 07, 12:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Mar 2, 6:08 pm, "Dave" wrote:

[...]

I agree with Dave, try a new cd

Old March 3rd 07, 12:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jenny

"Dave" wrote in message
reenews.net...

It means that your CD is damaged/scratched/in some other way unreadable.
The information copied to the hard drive is incomplete. The installation
starts from the hard drive using corrupted software from the CD that is
now on the hard drive. -Dave

The problem with that is that I have two retail copies of XP pro... so I
tried
the other copy, and got the same result.

Old March 3rd 07, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jenny

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 2, 6:08 pm, "Dave" wrote:

I agree with Dave, try a new cd

Two XP retail cd's saying the same thing??

I think it has something to do with the serial SATA drive trying to use it
as a boot drive. The mobo only has one IDE connector so I am now trying
it with a spare IDE drive as the secondary and the optical as the primary.

That will eliminate the SATA as a possibility. I'm not familiar with this
mobo.
It has raid built in and I wonder if not using the raid is messing with it.
Plus,
the manual doesn't way which SATA if any I should use as a single boot. I
didn't think it mattered but I tried plugging it into the only red connector
and
the computer doesn't see the drive at all that way. There are 3 blue SATA
and 4 Black ones. I tried the red and the number 1 black. In BIOS I saw
that
there is a 0 Sata but I'm not sure which one it is.

Old March 3rd 07, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chris Hill

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 18:10:00 -0500, "jenny" wrote:

[...]

Nope, no guarantee of that. I'd start with memtest overnight.
Aren't using an el-cheapo garbage psu are you? Weakness in that
department can cause all kinds of weird issues.

Old March 3rd 07, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jenny

"Chris Hill" wrote in message

Nope, no guarantee of that. I'd start with memtest overnight.
Aren't using an el-cheapo garbage psu are you? Weakness in that
department can cause all kinds of weird issues.

I'm using matched pair of Corsair DDR2 Twin2X2084-6400C4 total
2GB.

I just tried a different hdd IDE and got the same message.

Old March 3rd 07, 01:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Fry

"jn" == jenny writes:
jn There was a blurb about Raid
jn when the post started but I ignored that.

Running memtest86+ is a good idea and only takes overnight at most.

Though unlikely to fix the current problem, can you take another look
at the RAID message and post what it says? Perhaps you need to
install some drivers before Windows begins to install.

--
Why can't the ant and the caterpillar just get along? One eats
grass, the other eats Caterpillars... Oh, I see now.