e4500 GA-P35-DS3L stuck at 1.8ghz

Old April 19th 08, 08:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
tomahawk

Default e4500 GA-P35-DS3L stuck at 1.8ghz

Just built this Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L with E4500, stock cooler, Corsair
2X2048-6400C4, evga 8600GT. Coolmaster RP-550-PCAR PSU and CLite 330
case. Booted right up and all was well till I noticed in CPU was only
running 1.8Ghz.
Well I was hoping to push past the rated 2.2ghz but I can't even seem
to get there.
What is the diff between core speed and stock frequency?

I tried moving up FSB but system hangs at even 220.
CPU-Z output below. CPU is 35C, going up on CPU Core V no impact.
If I peg CPU 98% it would go up to 1864mhz but no further.
I have tried turning off CIA in bios.

Any suggestions are welcome

Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name Intel Core 2 Duo E4500
Codename Conroe
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
Package Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 0h)
CPUID 6.F.D
Extended CPUID 6.F
Core Stepping M0
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 1800.3 MHz (9.0 x 200.0 MHz)
Rated Bus speed 800.1 MHz
Stock frequency 2200 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line
size
L2 cache 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 11.0x
max VID 1.325 V
Features XD

Old April 20th 08, 04:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'tomahawk' wrote, in part:
Just built this Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L with E4500, stock cooler, Corsair
2X2048-6400C4, evga 8600GT. Coolmaster RP-550-PCAR PSU and CLite 330
case. Booted right up and all was well till I noticed in CPU was only
running 1.8Ghz.
Well I was hoping to push past the rated 2.2ghz but I can't even seem
to get there.
What is the diff between core speed and stock frequency?

I tried moving up FSB but system hangs at even 220.
CPU-Z output below. CPU is 35C, going up on CPU Core V no impact.
If I peg CPU 98% it would go up to 1864mhz but no further.
I have tried turning off CIA in bios.

_____

I have no idea what you mean by 'I have tried turning off CIA in bios', but
it is pretty clear that the multiplier is set at 9 X as shown by both the
reported CPU clock speed and by CPU-Z. You must set the multiplier to 11 X
to get the stock speed of 2.2 GHz with the stock FSB of 800 MHz. Core 2 CPU
multipliers are only locked upward... the multiplier can be set lower than
stock. That is evidently what you have done in the BIOS. Also, it is not
at all clear what you mean by 'If I peg CPU 98% it would go up to 1864mhz
but no further.'

Set the CPU multiplier to a fixed 11 X.

Once you have the system running correctly with stock settings you can then
begin the normal procedure of overclocking and expect a good shot at 3
GHz.
Increasing the FSB by such a tiny amount (for an E4500) should require no
CPU core voltage increase at all.

Check your memory settings - you have only DDR2 800 memory installed, so you
should, at the start at least, make sure your memory is not overclocked.

Also, if you post again, additional information is needed so we don't have
to guess at things like your memory capability, what voltage increases you
have used, whether or not your motherboard can use high density DDR2 RAM
(2048 GByte modules). You are using a 64-bit operating system, right? So
that the system can actually make use of all of physical memory above 2
GBytes?
A correct core temperature reading might also be useful; 35 C is likely the
idle temperature, not the temperature under load.

Phil Weldon

Old April 20th 08, 05:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

tomahawk wrote:

Just built this Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L with E4500, stock cooler, Corsair
2X2048-6400C4, evga 8600GT. Coolmaster RP-550-PCAR PSU and CLite 330
case. Booted right up and all was well till I noticed in CPU was only
running 1.8Ghz.
Well I was hoping to push past the rated 2.2ghz but I can't even seem
to get there.
What is the diff between core speed and stock frequency?

I tried moving up FSB but system hangs at even 220.
CPU-Z output below. CPU is 35C, going up on CPU Core V no impact.
If I peg CPU 98% it would go up to 1864mhz but no further.
I have tried turning off CIA in bios.

Since your memory is spec'd to run faster than your CPU, your motherboard
is probably running it asynchronously on the Auto setting, which is fine unless
you want to overclock.

Do you know about pressing ctrl+F1 in the BIOS to enable the
advanced settings?

Your setup screens should look pretty much like these, I think:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=110004

In order to run 3 GHz, you might try setting your "CPU Clock Ratio" to '9',
your "CPU Host Frequency" to "333", and your "System Memory Multiplier"
to "2.0". Leave your "CPU Voltage Control" on "Auto" for now-- it will be
raised automatically (to some predefined extent) for you when overclocking.
Look at the "Normal CPU Vcore" to see what your CPU is asking for on the
VID pins. You can try lowering it later if it is stable. This will run your
DDR2-800 memory at DDR2-666 speed.

8 x 375 will also give you 3GHz. 7 x 428 would also, but your memory is
then running out of spec at DDR2-856 speed. In the bios screen, the
memory speed will be shown doubled, since it is "double data rate",
but the actual clock frequency will be half that with the "System Memory
Multiplier" at "2.0".

With the Intel SpeedStep enabled, the CPU is automatically slowed down
when it is not under load to save power and run cooler. So instead of
doing nothing wicked fast, it only does nothing really fast. In your
Advanced Bios Features, C1E and EIST control this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedstep

With this enabled, in order for CPU-Z to show your settings, you need to
load both cores with Orthos or Prime95 or something.