1 dedicated drive (mirrored), or thin stripe for redo filesystems?

Old February 15th 05, 10:55 PM

Default 1 dedicated drive (mirrored), or thin stripe for redo filesystems?

Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up some DB hosts and storage, and I'm
looking for some guidelines for setting up our redolog LUNs.

I have 2 approaches for this, and I'm unsure which one is best from a
performance standpoint:

1) Create a LUN out of one dedicated drive;
2) Create a LUN out of a thin, wide stripe of drives. These drives
would be the same drives used for the oracle datafiles;

Note: assume that both configurations host-based-mirror the LUNs to
an identically-configured storage chassis.

I've read a few "best practices" guidelines for this, and they suggest
using a dedicated "disk" for redo. But outside the Storage world, when
most people say "disk", they mean "LUN", so I'm unsure which approach
to use in creating the LUN.

So can anyone give me:

1) recommendations on which approach to use, and/or
2) point me to docs that discuss the ideal LUN config for redo logs;

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old February 28th 05, 06:03 PM
boatgeek

We just got through talking with Oracle about this. In essense, the
redo logs are not performance orientated. For SANs, everything should
be stripped. EMC Hypers and Hitachi LDEVs start life preallocated as
stripes across disks. Anyway, the redo logs though can be placed on
lower tier storage, such as a nearstore precisely because they are for
the event of recovering a database and therefore have no performance
impact on production data. Redo logs are a good example of what can
use tiered storage models.

Either way, you will want them to be on a seperate storage device
because of the nature. They would be used in the event that your
primary storage fails. You'd want to make sure that they were at
least on a different set of disks on the SAN. Ideally, they should be
on a seperate device all together. RAID storage can fail, and you
don't want to loose your redo logs as well as your primary data.