S-AIT / Qualstar

Old November 2nd 03, 01:07 AM
Adam Thomas

Default S-AIT / Qualstar

Are there any opinions out there about the Qualstar's new S-AIT
library? I'm somewhat surprised there is not more discussion about it
on this list and on the web in general. The 500 GB native capacity was
very appealing for my group, however we're having trouble with bugs in
the firmware for the drive.

I'd be interested to hear experiences from those who have purchased
the S-AIT drive. And also, for those who have considered it but chose
a competing product, what your reasons were.

Or let me ask it this way: if you were building a new data center from
scratch and needed to backup 40 machines (around 10 TB total)
incrementally, on a nightly basis, would you chose Qualstar's TLS-5000
series? Why or why not?

thanks in advance,
-a
Old November 2nd 03, 07:46 AM
cornielus

S-AIT is really unproven at this time, and I would be concerned about
trusting my backup to that technology until it matures a bit. I would
go with IBM LTO-2 drives. Much more stable drive and media will be
less expensive and available from several sources.

Qualstar makes a nice low cost no frills box, but I would only
consider them in direct SCSI environment. If you are looking at
putting this in a SAN environment, then ADIC would be my choice.
Little more pricey, but well worth the cost with the advanced SAN
features, especially the Scalar i2000. StorageTek has good high end
drives and libraries, but not in the 10 TB range, and they will be 10X
the cost of Qualstar.

- C

Old November 2nd 03, 09:17 AM
Rob Turk

"Adam Thomas" wrote in message
om...
Are there any opinions out there about the Qualstar's new S-AIT
library? I'm somewhat surprised there is not more discussion about it
on this list and on the web in general. The 500 GB native capacity was
very appealing for my group, however we're having trouble with bugs in
the firmware for the drive.

I'd be interested to hear experiences from those who have purchased
the S-AIT drive. And also, for those who have considered it but chose
a competing product, what your reasons were.

Or let me ask it this way: if you were building a new data center from
scratch and needed to backup 40 machines (around 10 TB total)
incrementally, on a nightly basis, would you chose Qualstar's TLS-5000
series? Why or why not?

thanks in advance,
-a

Sony has just announced mass lay-offs, including most or all of it's IT
sales force in the USA. Their commitment to S-AIT is questionable to say the
least. As another poster already suggested, LTO-2 is a much better bet for
your environment.

Depending on your *restore* requirements, your backup may not be optimal if
you try to cram many backup streams onto a single large medium. Plan
carefully when selecting your technology, you may find that you're better
off with multiple LTO-1 drives. Since you mention you'll be doing
incremental, you will also need to know how much of the 10TB changes.

plugCheck out our Exabyte Magnum-20. Plenty of capacity, and your choise
of LTO-1 or LTO-2, Fibre, SCSI or both/plug

Rob