DVD-R/RW Disks Not Recognized

Old September 4th 04, 09:04 PM
Tom Clydesdale

Default DVD-R/RW Disks Not Recognized

I am having a problem trying to write to various DVD disks and wonder if it
is common or if there is some "fix". Listed below are the specifics:

Memorex DVD-RW disks are not recognized by Nero's InCD software - I cannot
format the disks nor can I copy disk to disk from another DVD ( I was able
to do this yesterday when I copied to a Fuji DVD-RW disk.)

Philips DVD-R disks are apparantly not being recognized either as Nero's
copy software gives the following errors "Illegal Disk" and "Could not
perform start of disk-at-once."

The source I am trying to copy from is a locally created 8mm film that has
been converted to DVD.

My burner (NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A) has no problem creating and updating CD's
using the same software and did copy the desired file to a DVD+R disk which,
unfortunately, will not work in my TV/DVD combo. I also was able to format
(via InCD) a DVD+RW for data.

Am I missing something or is this a common situation that might be
attributed to the specific manufacturer's of the DVD's?

TIA
Tom

Old September 5th 04, 11:34 AM
Edward J. Neth

Some discs just don't work well with some drives - do you have the
dual-format 1300A, or the single-format (+R/+RW) version of that drive?

Old September 5th 04, 07:48 PM
Tom Clydesdale

Ed,

I do have the dual format 1300A version of the drive and it does work on the
DVD-R/RW disks but, as you mentioned, it is fussy about the manufacturer's
product. After much investigation and going to the NEC website I finally
determined that of all the "recommended" brands I only have access to two
(Verbatum & Fuji) and they work as advertised. Thank you for the clues.