Resurecting a PB Legend Supreme 1600 (again?)

Old April 12th 05, 04:01 PM
Sam

Default Resurecting a PB Legend Supreme 1600 (again?)

Hello,

I am trying to resurecting a Packard Bell Legend Spreme 1600 which had

Pentium 133MHz CPU,
24 MB EDO SIMM Ram,
Aztech (ISA) Sound/Modem Combo card. (FCC ID: 138-MMSN855 - No driver
found in Aztech web site)
ATI Wonder TV/Video 3D RageII+/DVD Card.
2GB Hard Drive.

Unfortunately I was not able to boot the system with the ATI Card, So I
removed it and able to boot it with the onboard video card.

Also the Aztech sound card, though Win98 identified it as AZTECH 2325,
I am not able to get any sound from the card. The cards output is
marked with icons instead of letters that in the fllowing order
MIDI/GamePort, Line-Out, Mic, Line-In, RJ-11 Port for Modem. Idont see
any Speaker out. So I hookup my speaker to the line-out but not hearing
anything. Also I see the CD-ROM drive is working fine, I can listen to
audio from the headphone, attached to the headphone jack in the
frontface panel of the CR-ROM. And also an CDAudio cable goes from the
CD-ROM drive back to the Aztech card CDAUDIO1 port/pins. CDAUDIO2 is
left open and not connected to anything.

I upgraded the memory to 128MB. Not sure this is good. But the system
detected the memroy and not error when booting.

Now the real question how to make the onboard Video disable and make
the ATI Wonder Video Card recognized by the system?

Appreciate any help.

Sam

Old April 12th 05, 04:45 PM
Ben Myers

You seem to be well ahead of the game so far. 128MB makes much more sense than
a meager 24MB.

Names like "Legend Supreme 1600" are nice sounding marketing names, but they do
not give a clue as to what is inside the system. You need to identify the model
of the motherboard to determine what needs to be done to install the ATI PCI
card properly. The motherboard's BIOS identification string is displayed when
the computer powers up initially. It shows up either near the top of the screen
just below the copyright statement or down near the bottom. Write it down and
let us know what it is. If the board is made by Intel (AMI BIOS), you need only
to install the ATI card, then add the drivers. Other boards may require a
jumper setting or two.

Depending on the model of motherboard, you may also do well to install a faster
processor, if you can get your hands on one... Ben Myers

Old April 15th 05, 11:17 AM
Alan 'A.J.' Franzman

"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I am trying to resurecting a Packard Bell Legend Spreme 1600

snip
Now the real question how to make the onboard Video disable and make
the ATI Wonder Video Card recognized by the system?

It depends on the motherboard. For example, my PB680 has no jumpers or BIOS
settings (original AMI or upgraded MR BIOS) to disable onboard video. All you
can do is disable it in Windows through Device Manager.

Start by going to Add New Hardware (select from list), add a Display Driver,
Standard VGA, then go to the existing display driver in Device Manager and
mark the "Disable in this profile" box. At this point you will either need to
install the new card's driver software, or shut down and plug in the card
itself - follow the instructions that came with the card to see which to do
first. Do not allow Windows to reboot when it asks. At this point you'll
either install the software then shut down to install the card, or vice-versa.
Most times you're supposed to plug the card in first, but if that's the case
you still don't want to reboot - you need to Shut Down.

--
--------------------

Alan "A.J." Franzman

Email: a.j.franzman [ A T ] verizon [ D O T ] net

--------------------

Old April 15th 05, 08:46 PM
Sam

Thank you for the reply,
The motherboard's BIOS identification string is displayed when
the computer powers up initially. It shows up either near the top of

the screen
just below the copyright statement or down near the bottom. Write it

down and
let us know what it is.

The BIOS is AMI BIOS 1.00.08 DN0R

If the board is made by Intel (AMI BIOS), you need only
to install the ATI card, then add the drivers. Other boards may

require a
jumper setting or two.

I have the ATI Video Card working, only thing is the Sound Card still
not working.

Depending on the model of motherboard, you may also do well to

install a faster
processor, if you can get your hands on one... Ben Myers

Yeah, definitly this need a Processor upgrade too, I am not sure this
mobo[bios] will take a P2 MMX Processor? If any url pointer to that I
will greatly appreciate.

Thank you again.

Sam

Old April 15th 05, 08:51 PM
Sam

ATI Video Card is working and the onboard video is disabled. Thank you
for the instructions that really helped. Now only I made the Sound card
to work it will be a complete system for playing Multimedia etc.

Thank you

Sam

Old April 15th 05, 09:33 PM
Ben Myers

Now we're getting somewhere. The DN0R BIOS suffix indicates an Intel-made
Orlando NV430 motherboard. You can get the complete technical spec he

http://www.x86.org/intel.doc/intelmotherboards.htm

In summary, the fastest possible processor is a 233MHz Pentium MMX, and the
maximum memory is 128MB, consisting of 4x32MB EDO 72-pin SIMMs. The audio chip
is a Crystal 4236, and you should be able to find drivers on either the Crystal
or the Intel web site.

If you want to upgrade the system to the max, contact me off-line and I'll give
you prices for CPU, memory and a new CPU cooling fan. Reasonable prices for the
year 2005, that is... Ben Myers email:

Thank you for the reply,