Dell D Series Laptops - Encrypted BATTERIES and CHARGERS????

Old November 24th 03, 01:27 AM
Anonymous

Default Dell D Series Laptops - Encrypted BATTERIES and CHARGERS????

It appears very hard to find an AC/DC (Office/Car) adapter for Dell D Series
laptops that will charge the battery. And what is with the $600 cost of a
desktop external battery charger? Apparently there are chips in the
batteries and the chargers that communicate and if either device doesn't
detect the chip in the other then charging won't take place.

I can see the possibility of there needing to be chips setting up
handshaking between the battery and the charger for safety - after all a
fire in a 747 due to an overheated battery could be VERY serious and
potentially cost Dell a billion dollars or more in lawsuits if it brought
the plane down. But they don't need to gouge people by charging $600 for a
battery charger, and they could have worked to make an AC/DC charger
generally available from retail stores by this time. Applies to the D-800
Etc.

Am I alone on this?

Derk

Old November 24th 03, 02:03 AM
David H. Lipman

Go to Radio Shack, Circuit City or other stores and get a 80 ~110 watt inverter. This will
convert DC to AC and you can plug-in you notebook directly into the provided AC plug. You
can also then use is for other low powered devices. They are not too expensive these days
and they are a COTS (Common Off The Shelf) solution.

Dave

. com...