Recommend graphics card for this system?

Old October 28th 03, 11:10 PM
jeffc

Default Recommend graphics card for this system?

If it would be worthwhile, I'd like to add a new card to this system. It
works fine now for what I've used it for, but I'd like to get the max
performance in games. Having said that, I don't want to change anything but
the graphics. In other words, I'm pretty sure it would be overkill to put
in a $500 graphics card that I can't exploit because the rest of the system
isn't up to it. I'd be looking to get a budget price on an older card
rather than get a card that I can use again in a better system. I'll play
the most advanced games I can play (I don't mind buying last year's games),
and then get a new system in a year or 2. (I also don't care to upgrade the
sound right now, as I'm only listening through headphones.)

Note that one of the things I don't like about this system is that there is
no integrated memory for the current graphics. It eats 32M of my system
memory that it reserves for graphics use. I'm assuming this will stop when
I stick in a new card.

-. Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
-. AMD AthlonT XP 2200+ Processor (1.800 GHz) with QuantiSpeedT
architecture
-. VIA KM 266
-. 60 GB HDD
-. 256 MB DDR (PC 2100)
-. 56K* ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem
-. AC '97 Audio
-. S3 ProSavage8T integrated (1 AGP slot available for upgrade)

Old October 28th 03, 11:33 PM
jeffc

"Tod" wrote in message
ATI 9100 128MB

Not what I expected on the nvidia group, but thanks :-)

Old October 29th 03, 12:18 AM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

"jeffc" wrote in message
[...]

I would recommend the Ti4200 at around $80USD. It should be more than
adequate for quite awhile. It's not DX9 but even though it's an older card
it's still a good performer.

Another 256MB of ram in your system would help performance.

TMC

Old October 29th 03, 12:48 AM
Tod

Nvidia 5200 then.

Old October 29th 03, 01:51 AM
J.Clarke

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:48:49 GMT
"Tod" wrote:

Nvidia 5200 then.

"jeffc" wrote in message

"Tod" wrote in message
ATI 9100 128MB

Not what I expected on the nvidia group, but thanks :-)

Now let's see, you've recommended the absolute bottom of the nvidia
range and a relatively old ATI with no DirectX9 acceleration that wasn't
all that fast even when it was new. The obvious choice given the stated
requirements would be a Geforce 4 Ti4200, which was a fast board when
it was new and is still a fast board even if it's not as fast as the
latest high end, and has the salient advantage that it's cheap.
Certainly a better choice for a gaming machine than an ATI 8500 (which
is what the 9100 really is).

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old October 29th 03, 03:27 AM
god

lets remember everyone, the 5200 sux it?
GO VOODOO 5

There is a solution!"

http://www.giantcompany.com

Old October 29th 03, 07:26 AM
Biz

Here are the choices I would recommend.

If DX8 is all you need:
GF4 Ti4200

If you want to take advantage of DX9 games:
GF FX5600
ATi 9600

No need to spend anymore than that....

Old October 29th 03, 07:37 AM
Derek Wildstar

"DaveW" wrote in message

NVidia FX 5700 cards are now available. About $200.

If that's his budget, I'll second that.