New PC Cards for notebooks

Old February 19th 04, 02:03 AM
Russell Campbell

Default New PC Cards for notebooks

So I read in PC Magazine that there is a new design on the tried and true PC
Card that we've all been using in notebooks for awhile now. Faster, but
I've got to question if they are better. The thing that struck me as
strange was that they have done away with the little plunger to kick out the
cards. Now the cards just stick out "a little over half an inch" so that
they can just be pulled out. Call me crazy, but isn't this just asking for
trouble? I mean it seems like a card sticking out of the computer is just
asking to hang on things. Or if you have your computer in your case and you
drop it on that side, the card(s) will take the force of the fall, instead
of it being more evenly distributed over the length of the computer case.
Or maybe with the millions of computers out there on people's shoulders and
the millions of times people walk through a doorway, maybe some of those
cases hit against the door frame and, again, the force of this hit is borne
by the cards sticking out of the computer. All kinds of things can and do
happen. Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like a really, really
stupid design. Anyone else have a take on this?

Russell Campbell