ASUS P4P800 SE does not power down, at leats not for my outlet with a15W master socket

Old May 16th 04, 01:27 PM
Fam. Schuurman

Default ASUS P4P800 SE does not power down, at leats not for my outlet with a15W master socket

I have a 8-socket outlet where 1 socket is the master having a threshold
of 15W. If the power consumption of the master socket is less than 15W,
the outlet will switch off all 8 sockets.
When I attach my new computer with a ASUS P4P800 SE motherboard to the
master socket, the outlet does not switch off all 8 sockets when I
shutdown/powerdown via Windows XP: my monitor goes into suspend mode and
my modem/router stays on. Apparently the power consumption of my
computer is still larger that 15W. Only when I push the on/off switch at
the back of my computer, the outlet switches off all my components on
the 8 sockets.

How can I fix this?

By the way, the outlet worked with my old computer with a different
motherboard and Win98SE by shutting down Win98SE. I also upgraded the
BIOS of my new motherboard to the latest version.

Jur Schuurman
Old May 16th 04, 02:26 PM
Paul

In article , "Fam. Schuurman"
wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure you can fix it. An ATX power supply maintains +5VSB
running, after you shutdown from Windows. The power can be used
to maintain the contents of DRAM, power any PCI cards that have
a waking capability, power any USB devices that have a waking
capability (like keyboard), and so on. You can set the USB power
jumpers on the motherboard to run from +5, instead of +5VSB, and
that will help a bit. Same goes for PS/2 keyboard and mouse.
As for the other power consumers (like wake on LAN from the
onboard network chip), I'm not sure that disabling their waking
functions causes the power to be disabled too.

I've measured the power consumption of the last computer I built,
and it was 12W after Windows shut down. So, I can see why your device
is remaining running.

Does the outlet device have a sensitivity adjustment ?

Perhaps if you take the outlet device to a repair shop, they can
open it up, and determine whether the sensitivity can be reduced.

HTH,
Paul
Old May 16th 04, 08:09 PM
Fam. Schuurman

No, alas, the outlet has no power adjustment, it is fixed to 15W.
As I have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, I do not need a USB waking
capability.
Also, I do not need a wakeup LAN.

Is it possible to switch off those waking capabilities?

Jur Schuurman
Old May 16th 04, 09:03 PM
Noozer

"Fam. Schuurman" wrote in message
I have a 8-socket outlet where 1 socket is the master having a threshold
of 15W. If the power consumption of the master socket is less than 15W,
the outlet will switch off all 8 sockets.

I'd love to find a powerbar like this in Canada (or even toss one together).

Any suggestions folks?

Old May 17th 04, 03:03 AM
Paul

In article , "Fam. Schuurman"
wrote:

No, alas, the outlet has no power adjustment, it is fixed to 15W.
As I have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, I do not need a USB waking
capability.
Also, I do not need a wakeup LAN.

Is it possible to switch off those waking capabilities?

Jur Schuurman

Note: These are usually the default setting from the factory.

KBPWR - Set jumper to +5V
USBPW12 - Set jumper to +5V
USBPW34 - Set jumper to +5V
USBPW56 - Set jumper to +5V
USBPW78 - Set jumper to +5V

"Power On By PCI Device" [Disabled]

The onboard LAN chip could be powered by +5VSB, to support the
wakeup function. Maybe you could try disabling the Onboard LAN,
then attempt a shutdown and see if the power is reduced enough
to work.

"Onboard Lan" [Disabled]

While there are some transistors used on the motherboard
to control power flow (like the ones connected to the
fan headers), I don't know if that technique is used on
any of the motherboard chips or not. Some chips have a
disable pin, and many chip designs are filled with power
saving features, so it probably isn't necessary for Asus to
switch off the power flow to the chips using a pass
transistor.

Paul