1920 x 1080 hdtv videos?

Old February 1st 08, 06:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GreatArtist

Default 1920 x 1080 hdtv videos?

My old system would totally choke if I tried to play a 1920 x 1080
video. I'm building a new computer. I just ordered an Athlon X2 5600+
(2.8 ghz + 2 x 1mb L2 cache) and I'm going to buy a Geforce 8800 GTX.
Is that plenty fast enough to display a 1920 x 1080 video with no
problem? I'm going to be recording HDTV broadcasts from a TV card and
I don't want to have to convert my videos into a lower resolution in
order to be able to watch them.
Old February 1st 08, 07:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
KlausK

"GreatArtist" wrote in message
My old system would totally choke if I tried to play a 1920 x 1080
video. I'm building a new computer. I just ordered an Athlon X2 5600+
(2.8 ghz + 2 x 1mb L2 cache) and I'm going to buy a Geforce 8800 GTX.
Is that plenty fast enough to display a 1920 x 1080 video with no
problem? I'm going to be recording HDTV broadcasts from a TV card and
I don't want to have to convert my videos into a lower resolution in
order to be able to watch them.

Not sure why you want to go with Athlon, given that Intel's dual & quad core
CPUs are affordable and beat Athlons to death.

Old February 1st 08, 10:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GreatArtist

Not sure why you want to go with Athlon, given that Intel's dual & quad
core CPUs are affordable and beat Athlons to death.

$135 Intel E6300 Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz 2M Dual Core

$140 AMD Athlon X2 5600+ = 2.8 ghz dual core with 2 x 1mb L2 cache

I got a much faster AMD CPU than the Intel for only $5 more.
Theirs is 1.86 ghz. Mine is 2.8 ghz.
AMD gives you a lot more for the money.
Plus AMD engineers their chips better.
AMD has true quad CPU's not like Intel's two dual cores stuck
together.

The only advantage of Intel as far as I know is that they had more
money to build
new factories so they could go to smaller chip processes (65nm & 45nm)
before AMD.
Also their fastest CPU's are faster than AMD's but cost a lot more. I
don't want to
spend my money stupidly. That's why I bought an AMD. I'm surprised you
didn't know that.
I thought everyone knew that AMD gives you a lot more for your money.

Old February 1st 08, 09:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

GreatArtist wrote:
[...]

Here is an equation. It is an approximation, but is intended to make a point.

performance = clock_rate * IPC

IPC is "instructions per clock". Processors have multiple functional units
inside. They allow more than one instruction to be executed per clock cycle.

The current Intel IPC is higher than the AMD IPC. By comparing just
the clock rate, you are missing the IPC. And that is an important factor.

To avoid all the arithmetic, try a benchmark chart. Notice how here,
an Intel processor at 2.33GHz (E6550) beats the AMD 5600+ at 2.8GHz.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_20...74&char t=410

For your comparison exercise, you should have selected this one. It would
be slightly faster than the E6550, on the above benchmark. The E6550 has
4MB L2, which would help in benchmarks that have some cache dependency.
Too bad the E4600 is not in the Tomshardware chart, as you might be
closer to parity with your AMD example with this one.

E4600 2.4GHz/FSB800/2MB L2 $144

Now, compare WinRAR for the various options.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_20...74&char t=434

Notice in the WinRAR benchmark, how the E6550 is beating the E6600, even
though the E6550 runs at 2.33GHz and the E6600 runs at 2.4GHz. One
difference there, is the E6550 has a higher FSB speed. (The E4600 in
this case, would drop down closer to the AMD 5600+ in performance,
because the E4600 FSB isn't as fast.)

The pricing schemes can reach parity, if you look around. If there
isn't parity, then one manufacturer would run away with sales.

Paul
Old February 1st 08, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

The pricing schemes can reach parity, if you look around. If there
isn't parity, then one manufacturer would run away with sales.

I disagree that one would run away with sales, it depends on a person's
preference. Some people are more comfortable with the Intel name, like a
company asking IBM to do work for them. Others can do it better and cheaper
in many cases but IBM (and Intel) have the name recognition.

Second, Intel runs on Intel chips, so, in theory, everything works better.
If you want the best Unix, buy HP-UX, but it only runs on HP hardware.
Compatibility and choice/price are the trade-offs. I personally have never
had any AMD/chipset issues.

Thirdly, AMD has a better performance/price ratio, however, for those who
want the fastest CPU on the planet, they can buy all Intel.

--g

Old February 1st 08, 11:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 21:29:26 GMT, "geoff" wrote:

The pricing schemes can reach parity, if you look around. If there
isn't parity, then one manufacturer would run away with sales.

I disagree that one would run away with sales, it depends on a person's
preference. Some people are more comfortable with the Intel name, like a
company asking IBM to do work for them. Others can do it better and cheaper
in many cases but IBM (and Intel) have the name recognition.

Second, Intel runs on Intel chips, so, in theory, everything works better.
If you want the best Unix, buy HP-UX, but it only runs on HP hardware.
Compatibility and choice/price are the trade-offs. I personally have never
had any AMD/chipset issues.

Thirdly, AMD has a better performance/price ratio, however, for those who
want the fastest CPU on the planet, they can buy all Intel.

I tried an AMD CPU years ago, but remember being unhappy with it
without recalling specifics of why. The motherboard did have a VIA
chipset, which could explain a lot of my dislike.

Larc