Partitions have disappeared! Can they be recovered?

Old August 6th 05, 01:14 PM
Ian Roberts

Default Partitions have disappeared! Can they be recovered?

Hi

Just had my concerned sounding brother on the phone...

His XP Pro system kept crashing and rebooting. It would get to the desktop
and then restart.

He described what he saw was a red circle with a white cross in the system
tray - pc may have been in safe mode by then - anyone know what that icon
might be?

Anyway...

He thought he'd restore the partition from a recent PQ drive image backup -
which was stored on another partition on the same drive (uh oh... I hear you
say).

He rebooted using the PQ drive image boot discs and got "partition not
recognised" and a single yellow bar along the top! ie just the primary
drive with no extended partition /logical drives. I cant recall what a
yellow coloured partition represents.

So assuming the data is still there somewhere are there any utilities which
can recover the partitions?

My brother is bringing over his PC tonight so I'm hoping to gather together
enough info to try and salvage his data and restore the system.

I think the drive is a WD1200JB or WD2500JB.

Thanks a lot for any info.

Ian

Old August 6th 05, 04:56 PM
Svend Olaf Mikkelsen

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 12:14:26 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Roberts"
wrote:

My brother is bringing over his PC tonight so I'm hoping to gather together
enough info to try and salvage his data and restore the system.

You can download Findpart for DOS at

http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.htm

do from boot to a DOS floppy:

findpart all fp.txt

and mail me the file fp.txt.
--
Svend Olaf
Old August 7th 05, 10:01 AM
Ian Roberts

wrote:

My brother is bringing over his PC tonight so I'm hoping to gather
together
enough info to try and salvage his data and restore the system.

You can download Findpart for DOS at

http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.htm

do from boot to a DOS floppy:

findpart all fp.txt

and mail me the file fp.txt.
--
Svend Olaf

Hi Svend

I really appreciate your offer to help however I'm very pleased (and
relieved) to report that I have managed to fix it.

I'm now a BIG fan of Partition Table Doctor which saved the day. Very
impressed with it.

Once I had created a PTD boot disc it recognised the error right away, asked
if I wanted to correct it I said yes - restarted the machine and hey presto
all back to normal. The best $49 we've spent in ages!!!!

Prior to using PTD I downloaded the trial version of Acronis Disk Director
Suite 9.0 - again I created a boot disc and ran it. DDS seemed to think
that my brothers PC had dynamic disc drives set up which it didnt support.
Thats as far as we got with that!!!

So a big cheer for PTD!!

Thanks again

Regards

Ian

Old August 8th 05, 06:51 AM

Dear Mr./Mrs,

Thank you very much. We are glad to see that Partition Table
Doctor can help you. It's honor to us too.

To tell your friends who have the same problem the good news.
We thank you very much. And your friends will thank you, too.
_________________
http://www.ptdd.com

Old August 11th 05, 09:38 AM
Duncan Allan

You are very mistaken as this was not a cheap trick but an honest answer to
a VERY real problem as it was MINE.

Perhaps when you find a product that does the job in an emergency and, will
do what it says for very little cost and not overpriced commercialware then
it would be useful and helpful to others to let them know.

Yes there is plenty of Spam around and it annoys me too but this was a
genuine case that had the solution posted to this NG by means of a follow-up
for your benefit which is what I understood NG's were about.

Duncan

"Cl.Massé" wrote in message
a écrit dans le message de news:

Dear Mr./Mrs,

Thank you very much. We are glad to see that ********* *****
***** can help you. It's honor to us too.

To tell your friends who have the same problem the good news.
We thank you very much. And your friends will thank you, too.

Sounds like a sucking commercial trick. Is it possible, in less than 24h,
to find the right software, plausibility by buying and trying several

others
at about 49$?

Please, those who answer the questions here are volunteers, they have a

life
that they don't want to be wasted for the benefit of greedy persons.

My friends will be advised to avoid a product that rely on publicity

rather
than quality, and therefore to choose the direct competitor Acronis Disk
Director Suite 9.0, which at least has a free trial version.

--
~~~~ clmasse on free F-country
Free technical support at :

Old August 11th 05, 12:44 PM
Ge

On 8/9/05 16:40:11, Cl.Massé wrote:

Sounds like a sucking commercial trick.

Maybe...

Is it possible, in less than 24h, to find the right software,
plausibility by buying and trying several others at about 49$?

Let's see... the OP searched for solutions online (I'm sure I can come up
with a few options within 20 min), read through them and selected at least
two (maybe 30 min), tried out one unsuccessfully (maybe another 30 min),
tried out the second choice and fixed his partitions (probably also some 30
min, not counting fixing the computer afterwards).

Should be possible in 24h, at least looking at it from where I sit. Maybe
time runs differently where you sit

Of course, it still may be a commercial trick. But who's telling me you are
serious? -- Just take it for what it is.

Gerhard
Old August 24th 05, 11:34 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Duncan Allan" wrote in message
You are very mistaken as this was not a cheap trick but an honest answer to
a VERY real problem as it was MINE.

Perhaps when you find a product that does the job in an emergency and, will
do what it says for very little cost

and not overpriced commercialware

But it *is* overpriced commercial ware.