hp printer slowing to a stop 2

Old July 31st 04, 11:28 PM
tenchman

Default hp printer slowing to a stop 2

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the interest, replies as follows;
First of all a correction file size should read 8. megs not 80 as first
stated, just a wee typo.
1. Operating system: Win XP Pro
2. Paging file settings ?: Where do I find them
3 Connections: Usb 1
4 Failure to respond: Job spools up and print confirmation box appears
and okay'd
then nothing happens, power button flashes, and icons appear in systray, no
paper feed or carriage action.
5. Spooler Queue: On clicking on the printer icon in systray the
print queue shows the page as printing, in fact it is impossible to delete
the job without a reboot. neither work offline or paused are selected.
6. Small jobs: Other jobs on normal settings work fine, even
larger files, this only seem to happen when best quality and gloss paper is
selected.
7. Test Page: prints a test page fine and fast except when
tried after trying the gloss paper setting and the previous job is still in
the list.
8. Ink Carts: Ink level seems fine.

Further Info:
I have a second printer an Hp 870cxi on the parallel port which prints great
without any problem on the same job which causes problems on the 1220c.,
from this I would deduce that the problem is printer specific.

I hope that this might be of help in your considerations and thanks again
for the interest.

David

"Bob Headrick" wrote in message

"tenchman" wrote in message
Hi Group,
I am running a p4, 2.66gh with 1 gig of ram. I have two 80gig hard

drives
almost empty.

Yet when I come to print on my HP 1220c printer in best format and set

to HP
gloss paper, from Adobe Illustrator, file size 80megs approx, the

printer
fails to respond.

It appears to be a spooling or setting problem, this was all working

fine
until recently, I have used a system restore back two weeks but that

makes
no difference.

Can anyone please advise as to what might be the problem?

Please post some more information about the setup and problem:

1. What OS?
2. What are your paging file settings?
3. Is the printer connected via parallel port or USB? If USB are you

using an
IEEE 1284 cable?
4. What is the nature of failing to respond - does the green light on the
power button blink? Does the printer make any noises? Do any of the

lights
come on on the printer? Are there any error messages?
5. Does the job stay in the spooler queue? If so make sure the printer

is not
set to "paused" or "work offline" in the setup.
6. Will the printer work OK for small print jobs?
7. If no for [6] above will the printer print a test page from the

toolbox or
a self test as shown at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...lang=en#N10248
(using the button sequences for the 900 series printers, they are the

same).
8. If no for [7] then open the lid. The carriage will move to one of 5
positions corresponding to all OK (happy face), black or color defective
(unhappy face) or black or color low on ink. Does the carriage move to

the
happy face position?

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old August 1st 04, 03:20 AM
Alex van Denzel

Having experience with the HP Color LaserJet 2500 connected with USB to
a Windows 2003 Server:

- Printer connected to server, no probs, bling! printer etc. detected,
installing, cdrom etc. test-page works.
- Shared.
- Connected from workstation (Win XP) to sha no probs, driver from
server, test-page works.
- Connected from other workstation (also Win XP) to sha no probs,
bladibla, test-page etc.

Now to actual operating conditions:
It seems that if one workstation has used the queue to the printer the
other is locked out or something like that. Unplug USB cable (either
end) and replug, other job comes out, first workstation locked out.

Having twiddled a bit with settings on server and workstation, I ran to
the local computer store, bought a IEEE-something parallel cable,
disconnected the USB cable, connected the parallel cable, bling! printer
detected etc., removed n-th copy of same printer, switched port in
printerdriver to LPT1 and _no_ queueing problems ever since.

Just my $0.02.

Alex.

Old August 1st 04, 05:10 PM
Don

I think the flashing power button indicates a problem, but check your
printer manual. I assume you've opened the printer to check for a paper
jam?

Don

Old August 1st 04, 08:58 PM
tenchman

Hi Don
The fact that it works fine in the plain paper/normal mode discounts that,
it only happpens when using best quality or photopaper settings.

David

Old August 6th 04, 06:50 AM
Bob Headrick

"tenchman" wrote in message

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the interest, replies as follows;
First of all a correction file size should read 8. megs not 80 as first
stated, just a wee typo.
1. Operating system: Win XP Pro
2. Paging file settings ?: Where do I find them

Control Panel - System - Advanced - Performance Settings - Advanced -
Virtual Memory Change and then check the settings. WIth 1Gb of RAM this is
probably not going to be an issue.

3 Connections: Usb 1

Is this really USB 1 or is it 1.1? 1.0 had some issues, may or not be related
to the problem you are seeing. I suspect that a computer new enough to have a
1G processor is probably ver 1.1 or later...

[...]

Well, could be the printer, the driver or the communication. I am suspecting a
communication problem here. Printing in photo best mode generates relatively
huge files compared to plain paper normal or best modes. The 870 does not have
nearly the data requirements of the 1220 due to the higher resolution on the
1220.

One thing to try would be to temporarily connect the 1220c via the parallel
port and see if the problem remains. (You should be able to just change the
port in the printer properties. You might also temporarily set the 870 to
point at FILE: or some other port just to keep any potential conflicts out of
the way.) If this works then you might take a look at your USB chipset as
there are some chipsets that need driver updates. See:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...dlc=en&lang=en

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Problem installing USB printers on Dell 4500 Paul Filion Dell Computers 14 August 22nd 04 11:51 AM
Dell printer 960 gringo Dell Computers 5 April 9th 04 07:26 AM
Unable to install a network HP DeskJet 810C Series printer on a Windows 2000 client Fernando Ronci Printers 0 January 9th 04 01:20 PM
Linux to emulate/act as a printer. Peteris Krumins Printers 2 December 27th 03 03:09 AM
Sharp JX-9460/MicroLaser Pro toner/drum mysteries deepen Henry Printers 4 September 22nd 03 03:52 PM