Memory Issue

Old October 12th 04, 03:29 PM
Mark

Default Memory Issue

Presario 7360:
Just bought two 128MB PC100 DIMMS from Best Buy (cheapo kind) and got
the usual 164-Memory size error on bootup; however, it is only
recognizing 196MB of RAM... I thought the 7360 was upgradeable to
512MB but I could be wrong. Any thoughts on what might be wrong?
Possible bad stick?
Old October 12th 04, 04:48 PM
Ben Myers

I'll bet that the Presario 7360 needs low-density DIMM memory.

Many of the computers which use PC100 or PC133 DIMMs require memory sticks with
low-density memory chips. If the memory from Best Buy has only four memory
chips on it, it is high density memory, most likely incompatible with your
system. There are also 8-chip and 16-chip 128MB DIMMs. For sure the 16-chip
ones are low-density. I'm not completely certain about the 8-chip ones.

.... Ben Myers

Old October 12th 04, 05:08 PM
HH

Most 8-chip 64/128MB DIMMs are low density. It's when you jump to 256MB
DIMMs that 16-chip DIMMs (8 on each side) indicate low density.