About Macrovision, don't know where to ask.

Old November 17th 03, 07:32 AM
Bronney Hui

Default About Macrovision, don't know where to ask.

Ok people,

Been reading up on the macrovision bits and I just don't understand, why the
*******s won't let me play a region 1 retail boxed bought with 34.99
Canadian Matrix 1, with a "bought" oem Hitachi GD-2500 DVDROM, a retail
boxed hercules gf3 ti200 that bundled powerdvd 3 with a legit cdkey.

I do not see how I was pirating by watching this combo. And yet, all the
5x.xx drivers I tried gives me the macrovision corrupted squary screens.
This is just wrong. I am using the 41.09 for now and it works fine.

My question is: who can I contact to file a complaint?? (yeah like it
matters :P)

-bron

Old November 17th 03, 11:15 AM
Stoneskin

Bronney Hui left a note on my windscreen which said:

Ok people,

Been reading up on the macrovision bits and I just don't understand, why the
*******s won't let me play a region 1 retail boxed bought with 34.99
Canadian Matrix 1, with a "bought" oem Hitachi GD-2500 DVDROM, a retail
boxed hercules gf3 ti200 that bundled powerdvd 3 with a legit cdkey.

I do not see how I was pirating by watching this combo. And yet, all the
5x.xx drivers I tried gives me the macrovision corrupted squary screens.
This is just wrong. I am using the 41.09 for now and it works fine.

My question is: who can I contact to file a complaint?? (yeah like it
matters :P)

Are you sure it's because of macrovision? I'm not an expert but from
what I have seen a macrovision 'currupted' screen will be more like an
image which changes the contrast and color balances of the image. Plus
the sound will keep dropping out.

As I said, I'm not an expert, but it sounds more to me like those 5x
drivers were more to blame. Changing drivers shouldn't affect any
macrovision protection.
--

Stoneskin

[Insert sig here]
Old November 17th 03, 11:31 AM
Daniel Crichton

Stoneskin wrote:

Are you sure it's because of macrovision? I'm not an expert but from
what I have seen a macrovision 'currupted' screen will be more like an
image which changes the contrast and color balances of the image.
Plus the sound will keep dropping out.

As I said, I'm not an expert, but it sounds more to me like those 5x
drivers were more to blame. Changing drivers shouldn't affect any
macrovision protection.

Not quite true. Some/most/all (not sure which) of the drivers after 41.09
will disable playback of DVDs if the TV out chipset is a particular version
as it was shipped with Macrovision signal generation, thereby allowing DVDs
to be played without Macrovision protection and recorded. The studios/DVD
forum/someone put pressure on nVidia to "correct" this by disabling playback
of DVDs on affected chipsets. If you have a TV out chipset that is not in
the banned list, it works fine (like my Leadtek A250 LE with the 42.70
drivers happily still plays DVDs). This is really a stupid thing for nVidia
to have done - it seems a large number of cards are affected by this. And if
someone wants to record a DVD to video Macrovision is the least of their
worries - for very little cost you can get a cable with a Macrovision
stripping circuit and remove the signal anyway.

Dan

Old November 17th 03, 11:56 AM
John Russell

"Bronney Hui" wrote in message
Ok people,

Been reading up on the macrovision bits and I just don't understand, why

the
*******s won't let me play a region 1 retail boxed bought with 34.99
Canadian Matrix 1, with a "bought" oem Hitachi GD-2500 DVDROM, a retail
boxed hercules gf3 ti200 that bundled powerdvd 3 with a legit cdkey.

I do not see how I was pirating by watching this combo. And yet, all the
5x.xx drivers I tried gives me the macrovision corrupted squary screens.
This is just wrong. I am using the 41.09 for now and it works fine.

My question is: who can I contact to file a complaint?? (yeah like it
matters :P)

-bron

This is an oversight by some card manufuactuers. They used a TV out chip
which dosn't engage macrovison protection when you have a TV connected.
Nvidia have been forced (by a body enforcing copyright?)to emasculate DVD
playback on all such cards via the drivers.

Old November 17th 03, 12:03 PM
John Russell

"Daniel Crichton" wrote in message
. ..
Stoneskin wrote:

[...]

Or you get a DVD recorder and do a decent job without analog TV involvment.
But that requires the use of illegal software.

I would guess that some form of pressure was put jointly on Nvidia, the card
makers and the software DVD makers together so that joint blame was implied
and neither could blame the other. Changing the driver may get them out of a
legal fix but it's not like people can't swap drivers when they need too.
But that's the law for you.