Which motherboard

Old August 22nd 03, 06:13 PM
Ben Pope

Default Which motherboard

Mark wrote:
I am looking to upgrade my pc

but I don't know which motherboard to buy

I have an 8500DV
so which board is the best for this card
will be going to a Bartan 2500 with 1gig of ram

your input will be greatly appreciated

Very happy with my Asus A7N8X Deluxe and Radeon 9800 Pro.

Certainly recommend an nVidia nForce2 motherboard.

Ben
--
I'm not just a number. To many, I;m known as a String...

Old August 23rd 03, 09:09 PM
Vance McNeil

Know nothing about the processor or RAM, but I've always used ASUS, never
had problems.

I wouldn't buy anything else unless you made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
This suggestion is going to impress many people as "off the wall", and a
lot of people will think I'm nuts, but I'm going to make it anyway.

The Asus motherboards using RDRAM (Rambus memory) with the 850e chipset
were and still are VERY good motherboards. I'm specifically talking
about the P4T533-C and the P4T533 [in the P4T533, limit your
consideration to units with serial numbers starting with "2B" and later
that have a fan on the CHIPSET, there was a problem with the CPU Vcore
power supply in SOME of the earlier models). Remember that the P4T533-C
is the motherboard that was used in the top-of-the-line Alienware "Area
51" systems until very recently. This motherboard was the absolutely
undisputed "king of the hill" in "cost is no object" systems for the
better part of a year, until the systems with 800 MHz FSB and 800 MHz
DDR memory came out.

I've been able to buy these motherboards AND 512 megs of extremely fast
PC1066 (or RIMM4200) memory on E-Bay for under $200 (motherboard plus
memory). Basically, with patience, you can get the memory for about $70
per 256 megs, and the motherboards in the $60 range, or about $200 total
for motherboard plus 512 megs of memory.

I've upgraded 5 systems with these combinations, and it is just
fantastic. I do not believe that there are any other motherboards that
match these for stability and reliability. As for speed, these will
still beat anything other than the very latest DDR3200 or faster with an
800 Mhz FSB, and while it's not quite as fast as systems with an 800 MHz
FSB, it's VERY close, more stable, and less expensive.

As I say, I know that a lot of people will think that this is "off the
wall" now that RDRAM is not being used in any new systems with Intel
chipsets, but I believe that it's worth considering. And as an upgrade,
I've been able to sell the stuff that it's replacing on E-Bay for
virtually as much as I paid for this stuff, making it an essentially
"free" upgrade.

Mark wrote:

I am looking to upgrade my pc

but I don't know which motherboard to buy

I have an 8500DV
so which board is the best for this card
will be going to a Bartan 2500 with 1gig of ram

your input will be greatly appreciated

thanks all

Old August 24th 03, 06:04 AM

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:22:19 -0400, "Mark"
wrote:

I am looking to upgrade my pc

but I don't know which motherboard to buy

I have an 8500DV
so which board is the best for this card
will be going to a Bartan 2500 with 1gig of ram

your input will be greatly appreciated

thanks all

Mark

I just installed a Gigabyte 7NNXP board with a Barton 2500/9700pro.
This board ROCKS. Dual everything. Heres a link,

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/..._GA-7NNXP.htm#

Good luck
Old August 25th 03, 05:52 AM
Chimera

snip

firewire is only useful for the small percentage that actually use firewire,
but I think you'll find SATA will be strong in years to come