Using old CPU in new motherboard

Old January 12th 05, 12:48 AM

Default Using old CPU in new motherboard

I'm putting a system together for my brother to replace his old
Pentium III system. All he uses the machine for is Internet and things
like Word, Excel, etc.

I have an old 1.0GHZ 266FSB Athlon and 512M of memory that is running
on an old MSI K7T266 PRO (MS-6380). I'd like to install the CPU and
memory into a MSI K7N2GM2-LSR.

Does anyone know if this processor will work with this MB or is it to
old?

Thanks
Old January 12th 05, 02:58 AM
Bob Knowlden

Here's the CPU support list for the K7N2GM2-LSR:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...UID=619&kind=1

I see no 1.0 GHz/266 MHz CPUs (really 7.5X133) on the list, but I know
little about Socket A Athlons.

Good luck.

Bob Knowlden

Old January 12th 05, 06:33 PM
userme

Hi
The new motheboard support AMD socket A Athlon
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...130-477&DEPA=0
so you should not have any problem installing that CPU in the new
motherboard
However, you did not tell us what type of memory you got?? is it DDR or not
If yes then the new motherboard supports it too.. It sipports DDR300/266 Max
2G

Hope that helps

Old January 13th 05, 05:01 AM
userme

Yes you can use that memory.. go a head and install both the old cpu in the
new motherboard and the memory as well
In the BIOS set the FSB to 133Mhz, but i think that would be done
automatically..good luck

wrote:

Hi
The new motheboard support AMD socket A Athlon
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...130-477&DEPA=0
so you should not have any problem installing that CPU in the new
motherboard
However, you did not tell us what type of memory you got?? is it DDR or
not
If yes then the new motherboard supports it too.. It sipports DDR300/266
Max
2G

Hope that helps

. ..